The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

tiuwiu
Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-11-22, 18:45

I observe the general rules of distance and hygiene, such as washing hands regularly and keeping hands away from your face and I'm wearing a mask where I have to [but I'm bugged by it] but some rules are very hard to follow such as keeping distance from family and friends or staying at home as much as possible.

The person after me coverd a scar with a tattoo.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-11-23, 16:13

No but my sister did, a few years after her cancer.

The person after me was really good at spelling at school.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-11-24, 16:19

Yes, because I don't speak a language with a stupid eccentric orthography like English or French! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The person after me is eccentric.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-11-24, 18:17

france-eesti wrote:I also think of Hungary very mucha lot and of course, other European cities. Vienna would be nice, Munich, Berlin, but even Strasburg or Brussels would please me so much! With that fecking COVID forbidding us to go out for anything else than buying nosh, even the tiniest journey is a dream!

1. Using traditional anglicisations like "Strasburg" is outdated. The city is normally referred to by the official French form of its name, "Strasbourg", when speaking and writing English. (There are many towns in the USA named "Strasburg" but I doubt you'd want to visit any of them!)
2. It's cute how much you use "nosh" but it isn't a general synonym for "food". It comes from a Yiddish word for "nibble" and thus usually refers to a light meal or snack. I most frequently hear it in the expression "have a nosh", which is almost synonymous with "have a snack". (And like "snack", it's most frequently a count noun in US English; in UK English, "get some nosh" is common with the same meaning.) At any case, I would always think of prepared food, not ordinary groceries.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-11-25, 10:40

OldBoring wrote:The person after me is eccentric.

In some ways I like to be, indeed... That's more interesting (or anyway less boring) than to be normal/casual/usual.

The person after me cherishes their amount of abnormality.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-01, 15:43

Of course I do :mrgreen:

Everyone in the family of the person after me has an advent calendar and enjoy open it each day.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-01, 15:59

france-eesti wrote:
OldBoring wrote:The person after me is eccentric.

In some ways I like to be, indeed... That's more interesting (or anyway less boring) than to be normal/casual/usual.

I'm puzzled by the use of "casual" here. Applied to people, it means "informal" or "laid-back", which doesn't fit the context.

tiuwiu wrote:Everyone in the family of the person after me has an Advent calendar and enjoys opening it each day.

Growing up, we had only one Advent calendar and we took turns. My sister keeps up that tradition. I don't think I've had one since I lived in Germany. I do light an Advent wreath though.

The person after me doesn't do any decorating until the week of Christmas.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-01, 18:56

In German I would say 'Jein' - yes and no. Is there an English equivalent for it? I don't think so - sorry :hmm:
On December 1st each year we set up our Advent calendars, and we decorate the terrace and the two conifers on the street with holiday lights. But, except the Advent wreath, we decorate the inside of the house just one day before Christmas.

The person after me will doing something fun for Christmas.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-01, 20:29

tiuwiu wrote:In German I would say 'Jein' - yes and no. [i]Is there an English equivalent for it?

Nyes.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-12-04, 13:58

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me will doing something fun for Christmas.

Yes, something very fun: NOTHING!!!!!!!

The person after me is happy their government limits the number of guests to 6 so they don't have to cook for 20 people a 6 course meal with overpricey wines and champagnes.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-04, 14:41

@ linguo Thank you :D

--

Not really. Christmas is the most important holiday in my family and I have a big family scattered throughout Western Europe. Usually we all come together at Christmas, that is a tradition. But not this year and that is kind of sad.

The person after me is ready for the new year?

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-12-05, 16:48

Nor more nor less than other years. I dislike end of year celebrations. The only thing that makes me happy this year is that I avoid all the big meals and can stick to my diet and maybe even lose one tiny kilo 8-)

The person after me remembers everything about Attila the Hun from their history lessons at school.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-06, 8:24

I think I'd be lying if I say I remember everything I learned about Attila during my years at school but I remember a lot.

The person after me wants to knit socks for Christmas but doesn't know how.

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2020-12-06, 9:21

I wish I could. A friend of mine started a DIY blog a few months ago and she has been posting some tutorials where knitting is part of the process...Perhaps I should learn how to knit, so that I can try to do some of her tutorials. In fact, I recently read that many interpreters recommend to do crafts in order to give your brain a break as learning languages (and especially interpreting) can be very tiring.

The person after me will recommend us a book that they have read this year.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-12-06, 16:59

Honestly I haven't ready many good things this year, except one book taking place in my city 2 centuries ago, it was very interesting to see how things took place and see the city and its particularities taking place in another era :lol: So I don't think this is remotely interesting.

Which instrument is the most harmonious to the person after me's ears, saxophone or clarinet?

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-07, 15:56

Clarinet! I always must think of Peter and the Wolf when I hear a clarinet.

The person after me didn't liked Peter and the Wolf as a kid but like it now.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-12-07, 20:41

I didn't know it as a child and I think I'd like it now for a short while. I'm not really into classical music.

The person after me tells us what vlogs they follow.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-07, 22:09

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me is ready for the new year?

Uninverted questions sound dubious in English. "Is the person after me ready for the new year?" would be a neutral question, pne where you really don't know what the answer will be. But "The person after me is ready for the new year?" suggests you think the answer is "No". "You're ready for the new year? Really? But you haven't even finished shopping for Christmas!"

france-eesti wrote:Nor more nor less than other years.

tiuwiu wrote:I think I'd be lying if I say I remember everything I learned about Attila during my years at school but I remember a lot.

You're mixing tenses here. It should be "I'd be lying if I said" or "I'll be lying if I say". (The former is more common.)

Iván wrote:interpreters recommend to dodoing crafts
The person after me will recommend to us a book

tiuwiu wrote:I always must think of Peter and the Wolf when I hear a clarinet.

Possible in English but very stilted. Most speakers would simply say "I always think". A stronger form is "I can't help thinking of [X] whenever..."

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me didn't liked Peter and the Wolf as a kid but likes it now..

Remember, the subject of the second clause is "person" so the verb should take singular agreement ("likes").

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:The person after me tellswill tell us what vlogs they follow.

"Tells" implies this is something that person does habitually, but you only want them to tell us this one time.

I don't really follow any vlogs. I think of vlog entries as being somewhat unstructured and confessional and I prefer watching video essays which the person has scripted and which tackle a particular interesting topic.

The person after me has given up trying to reduce their screen time during the pandemic.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-12-09, 11:19

On the contrary, I indeed reduced my time, as when I finish my day I switch off my computer and that's it for the day, else in my free time it's sport - clarinet - crosswords, wherease, when I was working at the office, I could go back on my house computer after work.

The person after me likes quizes.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-09, 15:45

Yes, I like quizzes because I like to keep my brain as active as possible.

The person after me likes to play Rummikub with their family.

Return to “English”