The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-02, 7:58

I don't kill them. Instead I scream like a madwoman, put my daughter on the table, and beg my husband to come with a sheet of paper, take the centipede and put it outside immediately.
See how brave I am? :lol:

The person after me would start a cognitive behavioral therapy in order to get rid of a phobia.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-02, 22:18

france-eesti wrote:beg my husband to come with a sheet of paper

Style note: you could also say "come over"; to me, that's more colloquial and I would naturally use it. Come over conveys the idea of your husband is nearby - maybe in the next room or something. Come could mean he's far away.

france-eesti wrote:start a cognitive behavioral therapy in order to get rid of a phobia

I would either say "start a cognitive behavioural therapy group" or "start cognitive behavioural therapy". Therapy isn't countable.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-05-03, 14:05

dEhiN wrote:The person after me doesn't kill the house centipede (if they get it in their home) because they know that the centipede helps maintain the population of other pests in the home.

This usage of "maintain" is very odd to me. Its primary sense is "uphold" and one of its important derived meanings is "sustain" or "keep supplied". So it sounds like you're saying that without house centipedes, the population of other pests would drop below a certain desired level, when what you really mean is the opposite. IMD we would use "control" here.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-04, 3:36

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:The person after me doesn't kill the house centipede (if they get it in their home) because they know that the centipede helps maintain the population of other pests in the home.

This usage of "maintain" is very odd to me. Its primary sense is "uphold" and one of its important derived meanings is "sustain" or "keep supplied". So it sounds like you're saying that without house centipedes, the population of other pests would drop below a certain desired level, when what you really mean is the opposite. IMD we would use "control" here.

I see what you're saying. My use of "maintain" was meant as "keep at bay", which I suppose is derived from "keep". As a result (of maintain having this meaning IMD), "control" and "maintain" here in this sentence would connote two different things for me: with "control", the focus is on making sure the population neither goes above or below a certain range*, while with "maintain", the focus is on making sure the population is either zero or doesn't get too large. In other words, control implies a maximum and minimum threshold, while maintain implies only a maximum threshold.

*Regulate would be a synonym for me with control.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-05-04, 14:27

dEhiN wrote:In other words, control implies a maximum and minimum threshold, while maintain implies only a maximum threshold.

That is the exact opposite of how I use "maintain". Definition 10a. in the OED implies both a minimum and maximum threshold: "To cause to continue in a specified state, relation, or position, or at a specified level or number". Presumably the minimum threshold for pests in the home is zero.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-04, 16:34

linguoboy wrote:Presumably the minimum threshold for pests in the home is zero.

Maybe you're right.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-05-06, 6:07

france-eesti wrote:The person after me would start a cognitive behavioral therapy in order to get rid of a phobia.

Yes, I guess I would do everything possible to overcome or control my own fears.

The person after me is always up for a game of soccer.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-05-06, 6:36

I don't like soccer.

The person after me is very talkative.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-07, 11:54

Nah, I'm silent and as social as a bear you would wake up in his cave from a delicious dream. :twisted: :twisted:

The person after me was more social in their youth than now.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-08, 2:13

france-eesti wrote:Nah, I'm silent and as social as a bear you would wake up in his cave from a delicious dream. :twisted: :twisted:

What you said works grammatically, but, at least for me, it sounds more natural and idiomatic to say "as a bear in his cave when you wake him up (or when he wakes up) from a delicious dream". Also, do you mean delicious in the sense of tasty, i.e., a dream about tasty food, or do you mean the slang meaning of delicious, which is great or amazing? My first instinct is to read that with the slang meaning, but I'm curious what you meant.

france-eest wrote:The person after me was more social in their youth than now.

It's the opposite actually; I was more introverted in my youth.

The person after me suffers from canker sores and wishes there was a cure for it.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-08, 6:31

I don't but my daughter does :( and there is a cure for it - some kind of gel that I apply to her twice a day after teeth brushing.

Against all odds the person after me quite enjoys going to the dentist's.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-05-08, 15:38

france-eesti wrote:I don't but my daughter does :( and there is a cure for it - some kind of gel that I apply to her twice a day after teeth brushing.

This sounds less than totally naturally to me. I'd say "after she brushes (her teeth)."

france-eesti wrote:Against all odds the person after me quite enjoys going to the dentist's.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say I enjoy it, but I like my dentist and I always feel better after having my teeth cleaned.

The person after me never flosses.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-09, 17:19

france-eesti wrote:I don't but my daughter does :( and there is a cure for it - some kind of gel that I apply to her twice a day after teeth brushing.

What's the gel? I wonder if we have it here.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-10, 7:58

dEhiN wrote:What's the gel? I wonder if we have it here.

That's Elugel... Not bad! I use it for myself and my daughter when we have canker sores, quite efficiently kills the bastard stuff after 1-2 day... My daughter often has this kind of problems so it's kind of handy to have this gel at home. Do you know why you're experiencing this? I dunno why Anna is so often with mouth problems :( She eats no sugar except for chocolate and no soda and no sweets and of course doesn't smoke :lol:

linguoboy wrote:The person after me never flosses.

I do floss, else my teeth get stained.

No matter how much the person after me trains by doing daily crunches and muscular toning and gainage, their waist refuses to get any smaller and it drives them crazy!

PS how do you call that in English?

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-05-10, 13:55

No, because I do
france-eesti wrote:that
planks every day and it works very well. :D

The person after me never does exercise.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-10, 15:41

tiuwiu wrote:No, because I do
france-eesti wrote:that
planks every day and it works very well. :D

I do everyday :cry: but it's not enough it seems! And crunches and everything! Hell! :cry: :cry:

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me never does exercise.

As said above - everyday!

The person after me thinks strong abs are prettier on women than on men.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-05-11, 18:06

france-eesti wrote:That's Elugel

In this case, both the demonstrative and the thing being referred to aren't needed. Usually we just say the name (i.e., "Elugel"), or a demonstrative with possibly a colon or hyphen as a pointer (i.e., "This:").

france-eesti wrote:Not bad!

Do you mean "it's not bad", that is, the gel is good, or "not bad, I found the name of the gel"?

france-eesti wrote:I use it for myself and my daughter when we have canker sores,; it quite efficiently kills the bastard stuff after 1-2 days... My daughter often has this kind of problems so it's kind of handy to have this gel at home.

You've written "this kind of" with a plural noun a few times that I've noticed. In my experience, while native speakers do this as well, it's considered a sign of someone who's uneducated (in basic grammar). I'm not sure if you're intentionally emulating a colloquial style or not realizing you're doing this.

france-eesti wrote:Do you know why you're experiencing this?

Not entirely; there are quite a few articles online about canker sores, and from what I've read, medical science doesn't exactly know what causes it. I believe the belief is that it's a virus that causes this problem, and once you have the virus, you'll keep experiencing recurrences. According to Chinese medicinal practices, eating cooling foods will help, and having a generally heated or hot disposition is the cause of these sores. I'm not sure though if the concept of heated and cooling foods and disposition is related to the acidity/alkaline balance in foods and the body.

france-eesti wrote:I dunno why Anna is so often with mouth problems

It sounds more natural to say something like "I dunno why Anna so often gets mouth problems".

france-eesti wrote:She eats no sugar except for chocolate and no soda and no sweets and of course doesn't smoke

france-eesti wrote:]No matter how much the person after me trains by doing daily crunches and muscular toning and gainage, their waist refuses to get any smaller and it drives them crazy!

When I was in school, we would be marked wrong for using so many "and"s. These were considered run-on sentences (if I remember correctly), and we were encouraged to use commas for lists, with only one "and" at the end.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-05-12, 6:51

What do you mean by stong abs? A six pack?
I just don't think ripped abs look right on women. I think that slightly marked muscles are beautiful and sexy on women but a six pack looks too masculine.

The person after me would rather travel by bicycle than by car.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-12, 7:36

Yes, indeed, I love riding my bike!
But when it's pissing rain, sadly, my Skoda is my best friend :roll:

The person after me thinks giving someone a voucher as a present is lame.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-06-10, 21:47

You're absolutely right. I think there would be better gift to buy.

Person after me really needs to sleep.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Return to “English”