The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

JackFrost
The person after me game (2)

Postby JackFrost » 2018-02-04, 18:07

Continuation of The person after me game (1). Now locked due to number of pages it has.

See below for the last post from the old thread:
dEhiN wrote:
Antea wrote:The person after me thinks that one of these nights, it’s possible that they will woake up in the middle of the night and start talking in ancient languages :lol:

Alas, I don't think xenoglossy is possible, although I did recently read a tweet from a parent whose child apparently used to speak in Spanish when they were really young, even though there were no Spanish speakers around. But, if somehow that did happen to me, I hope I would start talking in Gothic and Hittite.

Does the person after me prefer to dedicate a little time every day to checking UniLang, or to spend several hours every few days catching up on what they missed?
Neferuj paħujkij!

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby france-eesti » 2018-02-08, 15:51

JackFrost wrote:Continuation of The person after me game (1). Now locked due to number of pages it has.

Right! Nothing like a new thread to have a fresh start! :D

dEhiN wrote:Does the person after me prefer to dedicate a little time every day to checking UniLang, or to spend several hours every few days catching up on what they missed?

Well I clearly belong to the second category :whistle: Sometimes I have time and so can log on Unilang several times a day, and sometimes I can't even catch my breath and forget about it but be sure I'll be back within a few days! :twisted:

The person after me has been spotted by their boss one day they were clearly much too dishevelled for that.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-08, 16:14

france-eesti wrote:Sometimes I have time and so can log onto Unilang several times a day

france-eesti wrote:The person after me has been spotted by their boss one day they were clearly much too dishevelled for that.

The grammar is fine, but I'm not sure what the intended meaning is. You usually say someone was "spotted" when either (a) the event was of brief duration and/or (b) the object was engaged in a particular activity, e.g.: "I was spotted buying spatulas in Bath." So it's a little odd to be "spotted" at work as opposed to simply "seen", which makes it sound to me like you're referring to a run-in that took place out of work hours. If it happened at work, I would expect something like "The person after me's boss saw them looking much too dishevelled."
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-08, 17:45

linguoboy wrote:
france-eesti wrote:The person after me has been spotted by their boss one day they were clearly much too dishevelled for that.

The grammar is fine, but I'm not sure what the intended meaning is.

Wouldn't you need the conjunction "when"? I agree about the spotted stuff, but to me, it makes more sense to say "...by their boss one day when they were...".
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-08, 17:47

dEhiN wrote:Wouldn't you need the conjunction "when"? I agree about the spotted stuff, but to me, it makes more sense to say "...by their boss one day when they were...".

Nope. This sort of temporal relative clause can take either when or that and relative that is optionally deleted.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-02-11, 6:09

The person after me has been spotted by their boss one day they were clearly much too dishevelled for that.

The person after me's boss saw them looking much too dishevelled.

Definitely not.

The person after me is going out with friends tonight.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-11, 15:22

On a school night? Never! I went out with friends last night.

The person after me is sitting by the window watching the snow fall.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-12, 17:24

No, my desk (and so my laptop) is perpendicular to my window. So even if the snow were to be falling right now, I wouldn't notice it except for whenever I take a break.

Would the person after me rather have several centimetres of snow with temps between 0 C and -5 C, or dry roads with temps between -15 C and -20 C?
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-02-12, 19:35

We have temperatures around the freezing mark for days on end and it was snowing this morning.
The roads were slippery due the snow and black ice and there were many accidents.
At the moment, I would choose dry roads with temps between -15 C and -20 C.

The person after me is happy and sad at the same time.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-02-18, 16:36

Not really... I'm not happy and not sad and it's Sunday afternoon so there are more things to be sad about than things to be happy about, but let's say right now none of those feelings is particularly stressed for me. I'm rather kind of anxious because I have a viola lesson tomorrow and I haven't had time to practice and my sound is horrible :cry:

The person after me thinks it's stupid to start studying a musical instrument when you're a grown-up.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-19, 3:32

france-eesti wrote:my sound is horrible

While this works, it sounds non-native to my ears. I would probably say "I sound horrible" or "my playing is horrible".

france-eesti wrote:The person after me thinks it's stupid to start studying a musical instrument when you're a grown-up.

Not at all, I think music is a wonderful language and learning it does a lot of good for the brain, such as strengthening the connection between the two hemispheres, helping you to think of creative solutions, etc.

Is the person after me someone who meets challenges head on or hides their head in the sand hoping it will get better?

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-02-19, 10:50

Ah, no, I'm not into hiding my head in the sand... I prefer to face my fate, and even if it's unpleasant, at least I know what to expect...

Has the person after me ever stood someone up?

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-02-19, 16:20

I did once. But I married him a few years later, so I think he forgave me :whistle:

The person after me is confused about his/her's gender.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-19, 16:58

tiuwiu wrote:I did once. But I married him a few years later, so I think he forgave me

:D

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me is confused about his/her's gender.

I've never been confused about my gender. I do strive to confuse others, however.

The person after me prefers a different pronoun than "his" or "her" for referring to themself/itself/etc.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-03-04, 9:11

I'm not sure, if I understand the question correctly, but I think my answer is no.

The person after me had a really weird dream this night.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-03-04, 9:16

Yes, about ancient Egyptian sacred crocodiles.

The person after me is interested in Egyptian mythology.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-03-04, 9:21

I think I am the only human being on Earth who isn't interested in Egyptian mythology. :|

The person after me has tried at least once alternative medicine and will tell us which kind.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-03-04, 9:41

I am not a great fan of homeopathy, probably because I don’t know anything about it and I don’t want to take any risks with health.

The person after me know some natural home made remedies.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-03-04, 10:04

To quote my grandma: Eat a chicken soup when you are sick with a cold and use a leg compress to alleviate fever. :ohwell:

The person after me has over 5 tabs open right now.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-03-04, 14:10

Only two.

The person after me dislikes sex.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Return to “English”