The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby france-eesti » 2018-07-09, 11:09

No :doggy:

How does the person after me evaluate their level in the language they're studying?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-07-09, 13:39

Usually when I can understand well enough a video meant for natives, and when I can quickly speak in that language what I am thinking of.

The person after me is still at work.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-09, 15:58

Antea wrote:Usually when I can understand well enough a video meant for natives, and when I can quickly speak in that language what I am thinking of.

Two things:

1) Your sentence feels unfinished. Because you used "when", you need to use the format when X then Y. So something like "usually when ... and when ... then I know I am at a good level".

2) To me it sounds better to either say "speak in that language" (without a qualifier) or "say in that language what I am thinking of" (with a qualifier). I think it's because we say something (or tell someone something) but we just speak. (You do also have speak to someone).
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-07-09, 16:29

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-07-10, 5:36

Antea wrote:The person after me is still at work.

No but I'm going to get ready to go! This morning I'll take my bicycle! Because I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike!

The person after me wants to break free.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-07-11, 15:55

Maybe I missed a part, but the question must be asked: Break free from what?
I never want to break free from my family and friends or from my hometown.
Well, I sometimes want to break free from my busy life but it's always good to come home and to see my family in the evening.

The person after me is a morning person.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-07-11, 16:01

On the contrary, I love night.

The person after me is a good cook.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-07-11, 16:45

Well, I think I'm a good cook but my husband does the cooking at our house. :whistle:
At least I haven't poisoned anyone yet :) As far as I know.

The person after me often eats takeaway food.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-07-12, 14:26

No, never. I cannot eat anything that I didn't cook myself :P

The person after me likes to cook for others.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-07-12, 15:27

I don't even like to cook for myself.

The person after me knows a lot about getting around.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-07-16, 19:48

tiuwiu wrote:Maybe I missed a partsomething, but the question must be asked: Break free from what?
Well, I sometimes want to break free from my busy life but it's always good to come home and to see my family in the evening.

Slight difference of meaning:
"it's always good to come home and to see my family in the evening" > seeing your family and coming home are both good things
"it's always good to come home and see my family in the evening" > seeing your family when you come home is a good thing
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-16, 21:00

linguoboy wrote:
tiuwiu wrote:Maybe I missed a partsomething, but the question must be asked: Break free from what?

"it's always good to come home and to see my family in the evening" > seeing your family and coming home are both good things
"it's always good to come home and see my family in the evening" > seeing your family when you come home is a good thing

Good catch! I knew there was a connotational difference, but I couldn't figure out what it was.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-07-22, 11:58

linguoboy wrote:
tiuwiu wrote:...but it's always good to come home and to see my family in the evening.

I got the point. Thank you very much :)

Osias wrote:The person after me knows a lot about getting around.

I have a useful local knowledge about getting around.

The person after me loved dinosaurs as a child.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-07-22, 12:16

And still now. I have always liked palaeontology, as well as paleolinguistics, and everything that could be “paleo”.

The person after could would have liked to study anthropology.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-07-23, 13:57

Not at an university.

The person after would like to see a period movie about a PIE native speaker hero.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-07-24, 5:10

Definitely not.

The person after me watched the sunrise this morning.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-07-24, 7:12

Yes, I like it! Though this morning, while being on holidays, I missed it because I woke up at 8.

Does the person after me usually do more or less physical exercise during their holidays?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-28, 18:26

Antea wrote:And still (do) now.

What you wrote works, but in my experience, usually the auxiliary verb is still included even if the main verb is omitted.

Antea wrote:The person after could would have liked to study anthropology.

It sounds weird to use could and would next to each other. Because your finite verb was like, you need to say "would have liked". If you had used study as your finite verb, you could have said "tpam could have studied", but then in order for the sentence to sound complete, you would have probably needed to add a time reference: "tpam could have studied anthropology when they were at uni".

Osias wrote:Not at an university.

Despite what English teachers say, the rule for a/an is based on the starting phoneme of the following word, not the starting letter. In this case, it's /ju/ which makes the starting phoneme a consonant, hence "a university". (There are those who stick to the antiquated based-on-spelling rule, which is why you sometimes see things like "a hour", "an university/eulogy/unicorn/etc.", but for the majority of speakers, it's intuitively based on the phoneme.)

france-eesti wrote:Yes, I liked it! Though this morning, while being on holidays, I missed it because I woke up at 8.

It sounds a little odd using the present tense because the question you're responding to used the past tense.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-07-30, 14:26

dEhiN wrote:(There are those who stick to the antiquated based-on-spelling rule, which is why you sometimes see things like "a hour", "an university/eulogy/unicorn/etc.", but for the majority of speakers, it's intuitively based on the phoneme.)

Really? I don't recall ever seeing this--just the relic usage an historical from before the initial /h/ was restored in that word.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-08-01, 22:06

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:(There are those who stick to the antiquated based-on-spelling rule, which is why you sometimes see things like "a hour", "an university/eulogy/unicorn/etc.", but for the majority of speakers, it's intuitively based on the phoneme.)

Really? I don't recall ever seeing this--just the relic usage an historical from before the initial /h/ was restored in that word.

Maybe I'm mistaken; maybe I've only ever seen an with words with initial /h/ pronounced. For some reason, I still feel like I saw "a hour" written once.

Return to “English”