Someone who has a job even though he got a different educational background?

Moderator:JackFrost

korn
Someone who has a job even though he got a different educational background?

Postby korn » 2017-10-22, 13:33

Hi,

How would you translate this person: Someone who has a job even though he got a different educational background

In German it's called "Seiteneinsteiger" or "Quereinsteiger". What is the proper term in English?

Newcomer?
lateral entrant?

...a better word?
Please correct all my mistakes, no matter how trivial they may seem to you, also, please help me to improve my phrases. Thank you in advance!
---
S'il vous plaît, corrigez toutes mes fautes, même si elles vous paraissent insignifiantes. Et aidez-moi, s'il vous plaît, à améliorer ma façon de m'exprimer. Merci d'avance!
---
Nếu tôi viết chỗ nào chưa đúng, dù là lỗi nhỏ hay nghiêm trọng, thì các bạn hãy sửa lại giúp tôi hoặc góp ý để tôi có thể học hỏi và rút kinh nghiệm. Cám ơn các bạn nhé!

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Someone who has a job even though he got a different educational background?

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-10-23, 21:35

I can't think of any single-word ways to express what you're talking about, but if properly qualified, "newcomer" can be an option. For example, "A newcomer to the tech industry, Jane Doe has a Ph.D. in microbiology." On its own, it doesn't say anything specifically about the person's education, just that they're coming from somewhere else, some other field.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Bubulus

Re: Someone who has a job even though he got a different educational background?

Postby Bubulus » 2017-10-23, 22:30

If you check some online dictionaries, you might see "career changer" as a translation of this word. The phrases "to change careers" and "to change my/your/his/her career" are definitely common, but I've never seen "career changer" before. It's transparent (= easy to understand) at least though.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-10-24, 16:28

"Career changer" sounds to me like someone who changes careers frequently, not as a one-time thing.

One of the LEO discussions suggested "lateral entrant". It's pretty jargony, but it's the closest match I've seen among the proposals. Really, the most common thing to do in English would be to use a brief explanatory clause, e.g. "who took an unusual career path", "who came from outside the field", etc.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-10-24, 18:29

This reminds me of a discussion in a German forum about the very same topic many years ago where someone said that there simply is no English translation for it because it is the norm in English-speaking countries.
Please correct my mistakes!

Woods

Postby Woods » 2018-01-03, 1:03

Car wrote:This reminds me of a discussion in a German forum about the very same topic many years ago where someone said that there simply is no English translation for it because it is the norm in English-speaking countries.

Does it never happen in German-speaking countries?

This might indeed have been the reason why I quit France...

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-01-03, 9:48

Woods wrote:
Car wrote:This reminds me of a discussion in a German forum about the very same topic many years ago where someone said that there simply is no English translation for it because it is the norm in English-speaking countries.

Does it never happen in German-speaking countries?

It does happen, but it's simply not as common as it is in English-speaking countries.

E.g. Quereinsteiger at schools received quite a lot of attention lately, but what you could read in the press often didn't sound positive at all.
Please correct my mistakes!

Akash

Postby Akash » 2018-03-29, 8:59

"career switcher" can be suitable. who switches his/her career to a new way from a different background.

Return to “English”