Perfecting my British pronunciation - an audio clip to rate

Moderator: JackFrost

krzemian

Perfecting my British pronunciation - an audio clip to rate

Postby krzemian » 2015-02-23, 21:01

Hello everyone

My goal is to perfect my pronunciation as to be indistinguishable from the one of the native speakers. I have recorder a 2-minute excerpt from a book to let you listen. I want you to be as harsh as you can, pinpointing any flaws you find, preferably patterns that I can work on.

https://soundcloud.com/szymon-krzemi-sk ... ter-page-1

I also wonder what's the overall impression on you.

Thanks for any feedback!
Szymon

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Perfecting my British pronunciation - an audio clip to rate

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-21, 2:30

• If you're trying to approximate RP (the standard accent of Standard English in the UK), then you're definitely including way too many Rs. Avoid pronouncing Rs after vowels in RP (except before another vowel).
  • Both the vowel in lived and the first vowel in mister should be [ɪ], not * or *[ɨ]; it should be lax, not tense.
  • You seem to show a lot of confusion about how to pronounce the first vowel in [i]Dursley. The first vowel is [əː] and the second is [ɪ] in RP: [ˈdəːzlɪ].
  • The vowel in proud is [aʊ], not [əʊ] (I'm not aware of any differences between RP and US English for this particular word, so the pronunciation in the audio file on this page should help).
  • Your intonation on "thank you very much" also sounds a bit odd in this context, although it would probably sound just fine taken out of context. In this context, it's kind of sarcastic, and the way you'd want to pronounce it is to keep the intonation throughout the "thank you very" part low and then suddenly rising on "much."
  • The vowel in "strange" is actually a diphthong, [eɪ] or [ej] rather than *[ɛ].
  • The second syllable of "mysterious" should be stressed; in this context, the pitch should be high on both "strange" and that syllable in "mysterious."
  • The vowel in "hold" would be [əʊ] in RP, and the first vowel in "nonsense" would be [ɒ] (the vowel you used sounds like [ɑ], which would be American English).
  • Emphasize the word "hold"; "hold with" here means something like 'tolerate'.
  • The vowel in drills should be a monophthong [ɪ]; in your recording, it sounds like a diphthong. Same with big.
  • It sounds like you omitted the [d] in hardly. In RP, you definitely have to pronounce that sound.
  • Moustache is pronounced [ˈmʊstɑːʃ] in RP, not [ˈmʌstɨʃ].
  • It sounds like you kind of stumbled over the word 'nearly'. That's okay, as long as you realize it. :P
  • The first vowel in craning is, again, a diphthong [eɪ] or [ej], not *[ə].
  • In RP, the last consonant in spying would be [ŋ], not *[n].
  • The vowel in son is [ə], not *[ɑ].
  • In the phrase "in their opinion," the emphasis should be on "their," not "opinion."
  • The <i> in finer is another diphthong, i.e. [aɪ] or [aj], not *[ɑ].
  • The stress in somebody should be on the first syllable, not the second.
  • Think should be pronounced with a [k] at the end: [θɪŋk], not *[θɪŋ]. [θɪŋ] would be thing.
  • The first vowel in bury should be pronounced [ɛ], not *[ə].
  • The consonant in out should be pronounced [tʰ] in RP, not *[ɾ]. [ɾ] is American English.
  • The vowel in fact is [æ], not *[ɑ].
  • Un-Dursleyish has four syllables, not three: [ʔən.ˈdəːz.lɪ.jɪʃ].
  • The <dd> in shuddered should be pronounced [d] in RP; [ɾ] is American English again!
  • The vowel in dull is [ʌ], not *[ɔː], and the last consonant is just [l], not [ɫ].
  • The last consonant in happening should be [ŋ], not *[g]. It ends in [ŋ], not *[ŋg].

I hope this helps!

Return to “English”