I have some questions

Moderator:JackFrost

LifeDeath
Re: I have some questions

Postby LifeDeath » 2014-02-26, 16:31

Really, it can be, thank you for your opinion. And what do native speakers think about it?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-02-26, 17:06

LifeDeath wrote:Really, it can be, thank you for your opinion. And what do native speakers think about it?

Varislintu's judgment is spot on. Sometimes you can omit certain function words in order to make an utterance shorter. This is done in newspapers headlines to save space and in song lyrics to fit the metre. You might hear such a phrase spoken as well. There's a very memorable example from the movie Ghostbusters when the team is painting a portrait of Armageddon for the Mayor of New York City:

Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

The sentences are short because they're pressed for time--they want the meeting to be over so they can get back to combatting the threat. So they're speaking in fragments, not entire sentences.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-02-26, 19:16

I don't know the rest of the lyrics, but it could mean something else. It could be a participle rather than a gerund, like "Test tube babies being born is abhorrent". I might've mixed up gerund and participle, but my point remains the same regardless of terminology.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2014-02-26, 19:23

I'm really thankful.
For forget not the rules and improve my using vocabulary I wanted to write a story. Firsable I wanted to write in Russian, but I decided mixed writing the story and improving my skills of the language.
I had an idea but it very hard to do it in the second language, I wrote only the preface, but it is a lot of sentences, I shall be really thankful if someone shows mistakes I made, but I understand, no one will want to correct every word. Therefore I want you just to give me some advices.

""" A work was really long, but I finally put a pencil on a table. A weather outside getting heavy and grey, there was a fog and everything was wet outside, the fog… it is a really rarely kind of weather for evening. I was tired after doing my work and I decided to lie on my bed, I haven’t beheld how I fell asleep.
I had been sitting on a bench in a park when clouds on the sky started to thicken. I was not afraid for the rain which could be suddenly coming. Being wet have always irritated me, the thing which I really don’t like, but being wet after the rain coming, is other situation, it even can make me feeling better, as if I have been born again and I became to be a new man, like in romantic films... No matter, the rain hadn’t started. I don’t know why but I had been thought about something, my face was pensive. Suddenly my attention had been paid by a person, who was sitting very close to me for all those time, but I had beheld him only now, may be I was really deep into my thoughts… I turned my head and saw, it was a girl, looking right into my eyes, he has long dark hair mirrored a dim light from the sky, her face was really comely and she had big beautiful eyes, I was trying to find out their color, but there had been a reason I could not do that. She was dressed with a thin black shirt and jeans. She was unbelievable beautiful, certainly, it could not have been found words to explain what the miracle she was, and I wanted to call her that way.
Perhaps the situation was very strange, but the advantage of the dreams is not taking everything so close to your heart, and may be because of it, I even had not thought about what a strange meeting it was. """

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-02-26, 19:33

Lowena wrote:I don't know the rest of the lyrics, but it could mean something else. It could be a participle rather than a gerund, like "Test tube babies being born is abhorrent". I might've mixed up gerund and participle, but my point remains the same regardless of terminology.

What you gave is an example of a gerund (both verbal and nominal traits) rather than a participle (verbal and adjectival). And it does fit in the context, which is:
Test tube babies being born / mothers, fathers dead and gone / It's a miracle
"It" here basically functions as a resumptive pronoun referring back to both noun phrases. If you wanted to rewrite this in a more literary register, the result might be: "Test tube babies being born with their mothers or fathers dead and gone is a miracle." But this version isn't as suitable for singing.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-02-26, 20:02

linguoboy wrote:
Lowena wrote:I don't know the rest of the lyrics, but it could mean something else. It could be a participle rather than a gerund, like "Test tube babies being born is abhorrent". I might've mixed up gerund and participle, but my point remains the same regardless of terminology.

What you gave is an example of a gerund (both verbal and nominal traits) rather than a participle (verbal and adjectival). And it does fit in the context, which is:
Test tube babies being born / mothers, fathers dead and gone / It's a miracle
"It" here basically functions as a resumptive pronoun referring back to both noun phrases. If you wanted to rewrite this in a more literary register, the result might be: "Test tube babies being born with their mothers or fathers dead and gone is a miracle." But this version isn't as suitable for singing.

So yeah, here it is a gerund, then, and not a newspaper-style headline.

LifeDeath, I don't have enough time right now to correct your story, but I will later if I remember, unless someone else does it before me.
Trans woman  Image

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-02-26, 22:00

Here are my corrections. Be careful about using commas when you should use periods.
LifeDeath wrote:I'm really thankful.
For forget not So as not to forget/So I wouldn't forget the rules and to improve my using use of vocabulary, I wanted (or "decided") to write a story. Firsable First of all, I wanted to write in Russian, but I decided mixed writing the story and improving my skills of in the language.
What do you mean by "mixed writing"? Ignoring "mixed", your sentence should be, "… but I decided to write the story and improve my skills …"

LifeDeath wrote:I had an idea but it is very hard to do it in the a second language, I wrote only the preface, but it is a lot of sentences. I shall be really thankful if someone shows the mistakes I made, but I understand, no one will want to correct every word. Therefore I just want you just to give me some advice.

""" The work was really long, but I finally put a pencil on a table. The weather outside was getting heavy and grey. there was a fog It was foggy and everything was wet outside. the Fog… it is a really rare kind of weather for the evening. I was tired after doing my work and I decided to lie on my bed, I haven’t beheld don't know how I fell asleep.
What did you mean by "but I finally put a pencil on a table"? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the rest of the story.

"Behold" is an archaic verb, and it doesn't really make sense here. It's best just to avoid it.

LifeDeath wrote: I had been sitting on a bench in a park when clouds on in the sky started to thicken. I was not afraid for of the rain, which could be suddenly coming come at any moment. Being wet have has always irritated me. the It's something which I really don’t like, but being wet after the rain coming, is other situation. It even can make me feeling better, as if I have been born again and I have become to be a new man, like in romantic films... No matter, the rain hadn’t started. I don’t know why, but I had been thought thinking about something, my face was pensive. Suddenly my attention had been paid was caught by a person, who was had been sitting very close to me for all those that time, but I had beheld noticed him ("them", "the person") only now, maybe I was really deep into my thoughts… I turned my head and saw, it was a girl, looking right into my eyes. She had long dark hair mirrored that reflected a dim light from the sky. Her face was really comely pretty, and she had big beautiful eyes. I was trying tried to find figure out their color, butthere had been a for some reason reason I could not do that. She was dressed with wearing a thin black shirt and jeans. She was unbelievably beautiful, certainly, it could not have been found words to explain what Words could not describe the miracle she was, and I wanted to call her that way.
It would be better to call the person "them" or "the person" instead of "him", until her gender is revealed. Also, "comely" is another archaic word. Avoid it, too.

LifeDeath wrote: Perhaps the situation was very strange, but the advantage of the dreams is not taking everythingso close to your to heart, and maybe because of that, I even had not even thought about what a strange meeting it was. """
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2014-02-28, 18:16

Oh, guys, I really thank (for, to) you all! Each of you really helped me! Thank for the translation and for all advices!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-02-28, 18:28

LifeDeath wrote:Oh, guys, I really thank (for, to) you all! Each of you really helped me! Thanks for the translation and for all the advices!

Dormouse is a hero for going through that entire composition word by word. You really should knit her a tea cozy or something.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-02-28, 20:13

Haha, you're welcome, LifeDeath. I just had a lot of time on my hands. :blush:

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2014-03-07, 16:47

:roll: I was told that I could not say "I feel myself..." but i said the sentence: "Every day I feel myself as a wrong man in a wrong place" does it make any sense for you? Is there a sutuation when I can say this?

PiotrR

Postby PiotrR » 2014-03-07, 17:04

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
Last edited by PiotrR on 2014-04-02, 2:00, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-03-07, 17:29

LifeDeath wrote::roll: I was told that I could not say "I feel myself..." but i said the sentence: "Every day I feel myself as a wrong man in a wrong place" does it make any sense for you? Is there a sutuation when I can say this?

"feel" in English means both "to experience a sensation" and "to touch". I can only think of contexts where "feel myself" has the meaning of "touch myself". For instance, "feel oneself up" means "to play with oneself; to masturbate". (Google "I feel myself" and you'll quickly see what I mean.) It doesn't sound right at all when you're talking about a mental sensation. I would rephrase the sentence as:

"Every day I feel like the wrong man in the wrong place".

(I can't really explain why the definite article is preferred here, but it is.)

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2014-03-07, 20:46

I have the questions from the preface of the film "The Lord Of The Ring" there is a sentence "Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." I cannot understand the second part, in russian translation it sounds "и не осталось тех кто помнит - and there is no one left who remember" it is simple and clear, but the real option is very strange, I cannot understand either why they said "who remember" without added "s". Why?
2. From the same part of film, a little later, being said "But the power of the ring could not be undone" I really don't understand what does it means, and I think this is a double negative?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-03-07, 20:58

LifeDeath wrote:I have the questions from the preface of the film "The Lord Of The Ring" there is a sentence "Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." I cannot understand the second part, in russian translation it sounds "и не осталось тех кто помнит - and there is no one left who remember" it is simple and clear, but the real option is very strange, I cannot understand either why they said "who remember" without added "s". Why?

Because both "none" and "who" can take plural concord. "None" is obviously plural in that sentence because the verb is "live" and not "lives". So "who" follows suit. Compare:

(1a) "No people are alive today who remember the Civil War."
*(1b) "No people are alive today who remembers the Civil War."

(1b) is clearly ungrammatical.

LifeDeath wrote:2. From the same part of film, a little later, being said "But the power of the ring could not be undone" I really don't understand what does it means, and I think this is a double negative?

No, there's only one negator present: "not". Undo is a derived verb meaning "to unfasten; to cancel; to reverse the doing or making of; to destroy". So of something is "not undone", it simply means it hasn't been reversed or destroyed. Replace "undone" with "destroyed" in that sentence and see if it makes sense to you now.

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2014-03-09, 17:56

Thanks!

On youtube one guy write me a comment:"...sweet...anyway do you want me to make you a youtube logo for free?" I don't understand what he means
he wants(suggests) to make a logo for me? or he wants me to make logo for him? Help please

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-03-09, 17:58

LifeDeath wrote:On youtube one guy write me a comment:"...sweet...anyway do you want me to make you a youtube logo for free?" I don't understand what he means
he wants(suggests) to make a logo for me? or he wants me to make logo for him? Help please

He wants to make one for you. That why he said, "Do you want me to make you a logo?" If he wanted you make one for him, the sentence would be, "Do you want to make me a logo?"

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2014-03-11, 6:59

1. There is Queen song named "Only the good die young" so this name doesn't make sense for me if translate each word on Russian, the sense would be if the sentence was "only the best die young". Why did they use "good" instead of "best"? Is it always possible?

2. Other their song called "nevemore" has a line "when you say you didn't love me anymore". I don't understand it, maybe the correct way is:"when you said you didn't love me anymore" or "when you say you don't love me anymore"?

3. Line from the song "you don't fool me" is "don't you be no fool" maybe the correct way is "dont you be a fool" or "be no fool"?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-03-11, 7:37

LifeDeath wrote:1. There is Queen song named "Only the good die young" so this name doesn't make sense for me if translate each word on Russian, the sense would be if the sentence was "only the best die young". Why did they use "good" instead of "best"? Is it always possible?
In that sentence, "good" means "people who follow the rules". (A parent might tell a child, "Be good".) It means that if you only follow the rules instead of taking risks, you'll die young.

LifeDeath wrote:2. Other their song called "nevemore" has a line "when you say you didn't love me anymore". I don't understand it, maybe the correct way is:"when you said you didn't love me anymore" or "when you say you don't love me anymore"?
Yes, I think so. The original sentence is grammatically correct, but it literally means something else. "You" is saying that at some point in the past they no longer loved the singer. The actual meaning in the song is probably one of your sentences.

LifeDeath wrote:3. Line from the song "you don't fool me" is "don't you be no fool" maybe the correct way is "dont you be a fool" or "be no fool"?
"Don't you be a fool", yes. "Don't be a fool" also works.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-03-11, 7:46

LifeDeath wrote:1. There is Queen song named "Only the good die young" so this name doesn't make sense for me if translate each word on Russian, the sense would be if the sentence was "only the best die young". Why did they use "good" instead of "best"? Is it always possible?

2. Other their song called "nevemore" has a line "when you say you didn't love me anymore". I don't understand it, maybe the correct way is:"when you said you didn't love me anymore" or "when you say you don't love me anymore"?

3. Line from the song "you don't fool me" is "don't you be no fool" maybe the correct way is "dont you be a fool" or "be no fool"?

1. Here "good" is used as a noun, meaning "good people". So, "only (the) good people die young".

2. I'm not sure about this one. He might be saying that the person is currently telling him (or is talking about the times the person tells him) that in the past they "didn't love him anymore".

3. This is just a case of double negative. It doesn't really change the meaning, it is just a colloquial way of saying "don't you be a fool".

Nice choice of band! I love Queen. No-One But You (Only the Good Die Young) is a song that I like a lot, Nevermore is pretty good, but You Don't Fool me I don't like very much. My favorite Queen songs are Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy and Somebody to Love. Have you listened to those? :)
Trans woman  Image

Return to “English”