Let's speak IPA

Moderator:JackFrost

linguoboy
Re: Let's speak IPA

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-17, 14:26

Ciarán12 wrote:ɘi‖ ˌkʰæntˈtɛlɛniˌmɔːɹ

ˈdoʊ̯̃ʔˌjʉˈnɵʊ̯ðəˈpʰe̞ɪ̯pʰɚˈtʰɛstʰ↗
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-18, 15:18

mōdgethanc wrote:jæ, ˈsɔːɹiː JuxtapositionQMan, b̥ʌt̚ juː d̥oʊ̯nʔ noʊ̯ aɪ̯ pʰiː eɪ̯ æt̚ ɑːɫ
I think that has been addressed already, so thank you for restating the obvious in an insulting way. It makes me feel good about myself. :D
mōdgethanc wrote:
JuxtapositionQMan wrote:stʰɪɫ häɹd tʰɯ̽ ɹid

noʊ̯ ˈfʌkʰɪŋ weɪ̯
What do you mean by this? Do you have a problem with the aspiration? The consonant? The fact that there are 3 characters there, which is a sign of the Illuminati, which means to multiply everything by 2, which gives you 6, but there are 3 characters, so that gives you 666? What?
Well, that was a thing.
speak: [flag=]en[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag]
learning: [flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ru[/flag][flag=]pt[/flag][flag=]es[/flag][flag=]ro[/flag][flag=]art-jbo[/flag]
hiatus: [flag=]fi[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]la[/flag][flag=]wa[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]eu[/flag][flag=]zh.Hans[/flag][flag=]is[/flag]
want to learn: [flag=]fo[/flag][flag=]be[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag][flag=]hi[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag][flag=]cy[/flag][flag=]hu[/flag]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-18, 16:00

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:What do you mean by this? Do you have a problem with the aspiration?

ˈaɪ̯ˈkʰæ͂ʔˈspiɪ̯kʰfɚ [mōdge] | ˈbʌˈɾaɪ̯ˈdɛfnɪt̚ˌliˈdʉʊ̯↘
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-18, 16:21

oˈke wʌts ɹɐŋ↗ wɪθ↘ ɪt↘
Well, that was a thing.
learning: [flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ru[/flag][flag=]pt[/flag][flag=]es[/flag][flag=]ro[/flag][flag=]art-jbo[/flag]
hiatus: [flag=]fi[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]la[/flag][flag=]wa[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]eu[/flag][flag=]zh.Hans[/flag][flag=]is[/flag]
want to learn: [flag=]fo[/flag][flag=]be[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag][flag=]hi[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag][flag=]cy[/flag][flag=]hu[/flag]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-18, 16:41

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:wʌts ɹɐŋ↗ wɪθ↘ ɪt↘

ˈɪdˈdʌzn̩ˀˈsaʊ̯̃nˈnæʧɹɫ̩ ‖ ˈne̞ɪ̯ɾɪvˈspiɪ̯kʰɚzəvəˈme̞ɹɪkʰɪnˈɪ̃ŋlɪʃˈdoʊ̯̃ʔˈæspɪˌɹe̞ɪ̯d̪ðɚˈstɑpsˈæftɚ [s]↘

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:oˈke

ˈjʉʊ̯ˈdʉʊ̯ˈˈnɑːt̚ |ˈse̞ɪ̯ˈðɪs↘

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-18, 16:52

oˈke
wɑj du yʉw jʉz [ɾ]↗ fɞɹ↘ 〈t〉↗ ɪnˈstɛd↘ ʌf↗ [t]↘
Well, that was a thing.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-18, 17:33

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:wɑj du yʉw jʉz [ɾ]↗ fɞɹ↘ 〈t〉↗ ɪnˈstɛd↘ ʌf↗ [t]↘

bɪˈkʰʌˑzˈsʌˑmˌtaɪ̯mz /t/ ˈɪˑzˈɹɪˑɫaɪ̯zdˌæz [ɾ]↘

ETA: ˈsiɪ̯ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervocalic_alveolar_flapping

ˈstɑpˈgɪɾɪŋˈhʌ̃ŋˈʌˈpʰɑ̃nɔɹˈθɑɡɹəfin̩ˈlɪsn̩tʰəˈwʌʧʉˈˈæˑkʧəliˈˈˈse̞ˑɪ̯↘
Last edited by linguoboy on 2014-04-18, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-18, 17:38

ˈnaʊ̯jɚˈʤʌsˈtɹ̥oʊ̯lɪŋˈmiɪ̯↘

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-18, 18:54

linguoboy wrote:

ˈnaʊ̯jɚˈʤʌsˈtɹ̥oʊ̯lɪŋˈmiɪ̯↘
ə::::::::
no ɑjm↗ nɐt↘
ɑj gɛs ðɛɹz sɒmθɪŋ æbnoɹmʌl ʌbæwt ɪt ðow↘ ɹɑjt↗ :pissed:
Well, that was a thing.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-18, 20:02

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:ɑj gɛs ðɛɹz sɒmθɪŋ æbnoɹmʌl ʌbæwt ɪt ðow↘ ɹɑjt↗ :pissed:

ˈaɪ̯ˈθɪ̃ŋkˈaɪ̯ˈʤʌsˈniɪ̯ˈtːəɹɨˈkʰoɚ̯dˈwʌd̪ðɪˈsaʊ̯̃nzˈlɐɪ̯kˈsɵʊ̯jʉkʰɪ̃nˈhiɚ̯fɚˌjɚˈsɛɫfˈhaʊ̯bˈzaɚˈðæɾɪz

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-04-18, 21:01

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:I think that has been addressed already, so thank you for restating the obvious in an insulting way. It makes me feel good about myself. :D
ɪnˈstɛd əv kʰəmˈpʰleːnɪŋ lɜ˞ːn hæʊ̯ tʰuː juːz ɪt̚ ˈpʰɹ̠ɑːpɚliː ‖ wɜ˞ː tʰɹ̠aɪ̯ŋ tʰə ˈhɛɫp̚ juː bʌt̚ juː woːnʔ ˈlɪsn̩
no ɑjm↗ nɐt↘
"No I'm nut"?
What do you mean by this? Do you have a problem with the aspiration?
jɛs æ̃nd pʰliːz juːz aɪ̯ pʰiː eː ɪn ðɪs θɹ̠ɛd ‖ juː niːd ðə ˈpʰɹ̠æk̚tʰɪs ˈɛniːweː
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-18, 21:19

mōdgethanc wrote:
JuxtapositionQMan wrote:I think that has been addressed already, so thank you for restating the obvious in an insulting way. It makes me feel good about myself. :D
ɪnˈstɛd əv kʰəmˈpʰleːnɪŋ lɜ˞ːn hæʊ̯ tʰuː juːz ɪt̚ ˈpʰɹ̠ɑːpɚliː ‖ wɜ˞ː tʰɹ̠aɪ̯ŋ tʰə ˈhɛɫp̚ juː bʌt̚ juː woːnʔ ˈlɪsn̩
I listen to linguoboy because he doesn't: 1) talk down to me, 2) say I'm complaining when I wasn't the one reopening the closed line of discussion to restate the obvious in an insulting way, and 3) doesn't refer to himself in the plural (which is kinda confusing when you do that)
mōdgethanc wrote:
no ɑjm↗ nɐt↘
"No I'm nut"?
close: "not". "nut"=[nʌt]
mōdgethanc wrote:
What do you mean by this? Do you have a problem with the aspiration?
jɛs æ̃nd pʰliːz juːz aɪ̯ pʰiː eɪ̯ ɪn ðɪs θɹ̠ɛd ‖ juː niːd ðə ˈpʰɹ̠æk̚tʰɪs ˈɛniːweɪ̯
Well, you're sure convincing me by your current run of posting. :? Also, if you look at my replies to linguoboy, I am using IPA, even despite my urge to rail against those I'm temporarily angry at. The only reason I didn't here is because it would take forever to write all this by ctrl+c.
Well, that was a thing.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-18, 21:38

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:
no ɑjm↗ nɐt↘
"No I'm nut"?

ˈaɪ̯ˈdoʊ̯̃ʔˈnɵʊ̯əvˈˈɪːniˈspiɪ̯kʰɚəvəˈme̞ɹɪkʰɪnˈɪ̃ŋlɪʃˈwɪˈðætʰˈhaɪ̯əˈfʌ̃nəˌmɪ̃nˀəɫˈfɹiɪ̯kʰwɪ̃sifɚ [/oh/]↘

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-18, 21:54

linguoboy wrote:
JuxtapositionQMan wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:
no ɑjm↗ nɐt↘
"No I'm nut"?

ˈaɪ̯ˈdoʊ̯̃ʔˈnɵʊ̯əvˈˈɪːniˈspiɪ̯kʰɚəvəˈme̞ɹɪkʰɪnˈɪ̃ŋlɪʃˈwɪˈðææˀt̚loʊ̯̃əˈfʌ̃nəˌmɪ̃nˀəɫˈfɹiɪ̯kwɪ̃sifɚ [/oh/]↘

oˈke hɛɫp↗
ɑj kʰænt ɹid ðə sɛkɞnd hæ̃f ɞv jɔɹ pɔst↘
My nearest guess: "I don't know of any speakers of American English with that low a fun a mint uhl freak win seefer." this is obviously way off, so what are you saying?
Well, that was a thing.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-18, 22:05

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:My nearest guess: "I don't know of any speakers of American English with that low a fundamental frequency for /oh/.[/i]" this is obviously way off, so what are you saying?

ˈæ̃ˈdaɪ̯ˌmɪˈsːpoʊ̯kʰ ‖ ˈaɪ̯ˈʃɜːɾəˈsɛˑdˈfɚsˈfɔɚ̯mɪ̃ʔ↘

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formant

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-18, 22:14

θæŋks↗↘
wɑj↗] /oh/[↘
wʌt dɞz] /oh/[↗ min↘
Well, that was a thing.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-04-18, 22:40

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:I listen to linguoboy because he doesn't: 1) talk down to me
aɪ̯m ˈɡɛɾɪŋ ə ˈlɪɾɫ̩ fɛd ʌp̚ ɪz ɑːɫ
doesn't refer to himself in the plural
ˈlɪŋɡwəbɔɪ̠ æ̃nd miː
Well, you're sure convincing me by your current run of posting. :? Also, if you look at my replies to linguoboy, I am using IPA, even despite my urge to rail against those I'm temporarily angry at. The only reason I didn't here is because it would take forever to write all this by ctrl+c.
wʌns əˈɡɛn | d̥oːnt̚ ɡɛt̚ ˈæ̃ŋɡɹiː æt̚ miː fɔːɹ̠ kʰəˈɹ̠ʷɛk̚tɪŋ jɔːɹ̠ mɪsˈteːkʰs
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-18, 22:59

mōdgethanc wrote:
JuxtapositionQMan wrote:I listen to linguoboy because he doesn't: 1) talk down to me
aɪ̯m ˈɡɛɾɪŋ ə ˈlɪɾɫ̩ fɛd ʌp̚ ɪz ɑːɫ
wɪtʃ ɪz fɑjn
mōdgethanc wrote:
doesn't refer to himself in the plural
ˈlɪŋɡwəbɔɪ̠ æ̃nd miː
o:
mōdgethanc wrote:
wʌns əˈɡɛn | d̥oːnt̚ ɡɛt̚ ˈæ̃ŋɡɹiː æt̚ miː fɔːɹ̠ kʰəˈɹ̠ʷɛk̚tɪŋ jɔːɹ̠ mɪsˈteːkʰs
ɪts nt wʌt↘ jɔɹ kʰɞɹɛktɪŋ bət hæw↘ ‖ ɑj wɛɫ̩kʰɞm ðə krɪtʰɪsɪzm̩↘
Well, that was a thing.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-04-19, 0:17

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:
ðæt̚s mɔːɹ̠ lʌɪk̚ ɪt̚ !
ɪts nt wʌt↘ jɔɹ kʰɞɹɛktɪŋ bət hæw↘ ‖ ɑj wɛɫ̩kʰɞm ðə krɪtʰɪsɪzm̩↘
pʰɔɪ̯nt̚ tʰeːkʰn̩ ‖ aɪ̯ d͡ʒʊ̜st̚ d̥oːnt̚ noː wɛɚ juː ɡɛt̚ ðiːz wiːɚd t͡ʂʰɹ̠ʷæ̃nskɹ̠ʷɪp̚ʃn̩z fɹ̠ʌːm
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-19, 0:40

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:↗↘↗↘

pʰliɪ̯z̥ˈstɑpʱˈjʉʊ̯zɪŋˈðiɪ̯zə̃nˈtʰɪɫˈjʉʊ̯ˈlɚˑnˈwʌt̬̚ðe̞ɪ̯ˈstæ̃ˑmˈfɔɚ̯↘

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:wʌt dɞz] /oh/[↗ min↘

əˈfɵʊ̯ˌniɪ̯m ‖ ˈsiɪ̯ http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atlas/ICSLP4.html

Return to “English”