the person after me game

Moderator: JackFrost

User avatar
france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3469
Joined: 2016-01-02, 19:41
Gender: female
Location: France
Country: FR France (France)

Re: the person after me game

Postby france-eesti » 2017-11-13, 11:51

I tried it once but the result was a disaster :para: so I gave up on corn.

The person after me is afraid of what their boss might say if they spot them on Unilang during their lunch break.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 22399
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: the person after me game

Postby linguoboy » 2017-11-13, 16:05

Osias wrote:I've only seen such disasters on TV. The nearest ones to me were floods in nearby cities.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me is afraid of what their boss might say if they spotted them on Unilang during their lunch break.

My boss doesn't care what I do during my lunch break.

The person after me eats lunch on the clock.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Osias
Posts: 8113
Joined: 2007-09-09, 17:38
Real Name: Osias Junior
Gender: male
Location: Vitória
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: the person after me game

Postby Osias » 2017-11-13, 19:08

No, the clock is too high on the wall for that. #dadjokes

The next person tries to sleep with all the persons nearby, regardless of gender.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

User avatar
france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3469
Joined: 2016-01-02, 19:41
Gender: female
Location: France
Country: FR France (France)

Re: the person after me game

Postby france-eesti » 2017-11-13, 19:59

No, I think there's more to life than ruining all those nights of good sleep :silly:

Which generation of "The planet of Apes" did the person after me prefer?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

User avatar
dEhiN
Forum Administrator
Posts: 6168
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: the person after me game

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-13, 20:02

france-eesti wrote:penfriend

This is the first time, believe it or not, that I've heard penfriend. I don't know why, but in my part of the world pen pal (frequently written as penpal) is the de facto word.

linguoboy wrote:There have been earthquakes where I live, but I've slept through them all.

Me too! Not that Toronto gets many earthquakes; I think there have been a max of 3 in my lifetime! One was when I was a child, so I don't remember that one. But the 1 or 2 that have happened as an adult, I've been asleep through them.

Osias wrote:No, the clock is too high on the wall for that. #dadjokes

:rotfl: I was waiting for someone to say that!

Osias wrote:The next person tries to sleep with all the persons nearby, regardless of gender.

For me, it's more idiomatic to say something like "to sleep with anyone nearby" or if you want to highlight the great amount, then maybe "to sleep with everyone nearby".

france-eesti wrote:Which generation of "The planet of Apes" did the person after me prefer?

The two most recent movies.

When the person after me is feeling low, they like listening to cathartic music on Youtube.
My TAC for 2018.

(en-ca) (ta-lk) (fr) (es) (en_old)

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 22399
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: the person after me game

Postby linguoboy » 2017-11-13, 20:26

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:penfriend
This is the first time, believe it or not, that I've heard penfriend. I don't know why, but in my part of the world pen pal (frequently written as penpal) is the de facto word.

First time I saw it, I thought it was an error. Turns out it's just British usage.

dEhiN wrote:
linguoboy wrote:There have been earthquakes where I live, but I've slept through them all.

Me too! Not that Toronto gets many earthquakes; I think there have been a max of 3 in my lifetime! One was when I was a child, so I don't remember that one. But the 1 or 2 that have happened as an adult, I've been asleep through them.

I've slept through earthquakes both in Missouri (New Madrid Seismic Zone) and Illinois (Wabash Valley Seismic Zone). I don't think any of them even reached 4 on the Richter scale.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
dEhiN
Forum Administrator
Posts: 6168
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: the person after me game

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-13, 21:24

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:penfriend
This is the first time, believe it or not, that I've heard penfriend. I don't know why, but in my part of the world pen pal (frequently written as penpal) is the de facto word.

First time I saw it, I thought it was an error. Turns out it's just British usage.

Funnily enough, I thought the same thing. I was going to look it up though, before I commented on it, because I figured some other variant of English uses it. Then I saw that you didn't comment and figured my assumption was correct.

linguoboy wrote:I've slept through earthquakes both in Missouri (New Madrid Seismic Zone) and Illinois (Wabash Valley Seismic Zone). I don't think any of them even reached 4 on the Richter scale.

One earthquake from a few years ago was somewhere around the Montreal area, but we still apparently felt it a little in Toronto. I think there was a second one that was further south and west, closer to the US border (than Toronto is).
My TAC for 2018.

(en-ca) (ta-lk) (fr) (es) (en_old)

User avatar
france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3469
Joined: 2016-01-02, 19:41
Gender: female
Location: France
Country: FR France (France)

Re: the person after me game

Postby france-eesti » 2017-11-15, 19:29

dEhiN wrote:When the person after me is feeling low, they like listening to cathartic music on Youtube.


No, I actually listen to classical music, mostly when there's a clarinet playing.

Would the person after me rather be a "blues" or a "swing" person?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

User avatar
IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 9752
Joined: 2013-05-06, 21:06
Gender: male
Location: Bologna / Florence
Country: IT Italy (Italia)

Re: the person after me game

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-11-15, 19:42

Can I be a "big beat" person?

The person after me misses the Cold War.

User avatar
france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3469
Joined: 2016-01-02, 19:41
Gender: female
Location: France
Country: FR France (France)

Re: the person after me game

Postby france-eesti » 2017-11-18, 16:08

I was 7 when the Wall fell so I cannot really say I miss it, given the fact I didn't realize it was Cold War (I just remember my mother pronouncing the "URSS" word (in French) in a funny way) :silly:

What's the favorite arcade game of the person after me?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

User avatar
tiuwiu
Posts: 261
Joined: 2011-04-10, 4:59
Gender: female
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)

Re: the person after me game

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-11-19, 4:24

I don't play arcade games anymore so I don't have a favorite one.


The person after me plays pokémon.

User avatar
Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3887
Joined: 2011-10-10, 17:12
Gender: male
Location: İstanbul
Country: TR Turkey (Türkiye)

Re: the person after me game

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-11-19, 17:12

tiuwiu wrote:I don't play arcade games anymore so I don't have a favorite one.

The person after me plays Pokémon.


Ihrer Satz würde besser: "I no longer play arcade games, so I haven't got a favourite one."

I used to play Pokémon, but I no longer play it.

The person after me would like to see a Canadian restaurant in their country.
Native: (tr) | Advanced: (en) | Intermediate: (el) (fr) | Beginner: (de) (it) (es) (pt) | Learning: (hi)

User avatar
IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 9752
Joined: 2013-05-06, 21:06
Gender: male
Location: Bologna / Florence
Country: IT Italy (Italia)

Re: the person after me game

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-11-19, 18:30

Elaine wrote:Ihrer Satz würde besser: "I no longer play arcade games, so I haven't got a favourite one."


How obnoxious of you. "I haven't got" is purely British, "I don't have" is perfectly fine, just more American; "favorite" is the correct spelling in American English and finally I don't think there's any difference between "no longer" and "anymore", at least in this context.

User avatar
france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3469
Joined: 2016-01-02, 19:41
Gender: female
Location: France
Country: FR France (France)

Re: the person after me game

Postby france-eesti » 2017-11-19, 19:28

Elaine wrote:The person after me would like to see a Canadian restaurant in their country.


Not really... I'm not sure I would really visit a place where I can be offered poutine and maple syrup :lol: That's a bit too dangerous for me! Besides, I'm sure there are Canadian restaurants somewhere in France (but not in my city for sure).

The person after me can read C-clef.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

User avatar
dEhiN
Forum Administrator
Posts: 6168
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: the person after me game

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-19, 22:52

france-eesti wrote:it was the Cold War

Because the Cold War is a proper title, it's almost always (if not always) written/said with "the" in front.

france-eesti wrote:(I just remember my mother pronouncing the "URSSUSSR" word (in French) in a funny way)

In English the acronym is USSR and stood for "Union of Soviet Socialist Republics".

IpseDixit wrote:
Elaine wrote:Ihrer Satz würde besser: "I no longer play arcade games, so I haven't got a favourite one."


How obnoxious of you. "I haven't got" is purely British, "I don't have" is perfectly fine, just more American; "favorite" is the correct spelling in American English and finally I don't think there's any difference between "no longer" and "anymore", at least in this context.

I agree with IpseDixit (though I'm not sure if Elaine's correction was intentionally obnoxious or not). I guess "I haven't got" is more British; whether purely or not, I'm not sure because people here in Canada do say, though we've also had longer lasting British influence on our speech than Americans have in general. In either case, both what Elaine wrote and what are perfectly fine. Also, even though Pokémon is a title and therefore properly capitalised, it's common in casual settings for people to be lazy and not capitalize titles (or even pronouns or the beginning of sentences, depending on how casual the setting is).

france-eesti wrote:Not really... I'm not sure I would really visit a place where I can be offered poutine and maple syrup :lol: That's a bit too dangerous for me!

What about beaver tails? Also, you might start seeing Canada's favourite coffeehouse, Tim Hortons, in your city in the future, since apparently the company that bought out Tim's 2 years ago - the same one that owns Burger King - plans to launch them globally.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me can read C-clef.

No, I can only read the treble or G-clef, and the bass or F-clef.

The person after me knows what musical modes, such as Aeolian, are.
My TAC for 2018.

(en-ca) (ta-lk) (fr) (es) (en_old)

User avatar
france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3469
Joined: 2016-01-02, 19:41
Gender: female
Location: France
Country: FR France (France)

Re: the person after me game

Postby france-eesti » 2017-11-20, 12:45

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:(I just remember my mother pronouncing the "URSSUSSR" word (in French) in a funny way)

In English the acronym is USSR and stood for "Union of Soviet Socialist Republics".

Actually this is why I wrote 'URSS' in French. If I had wished to write in English, then I would have written 'USSR' :wink:

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:The person after me can read C-clef.

No, I can only read the treble or G-clef, and the bass or F-clef.

Wow, that's so much, in which occasions have you studied them? I cannot read "fluently" F-clef, but because I don't use it - I mostly use G-clef or C-clef :)
Which instrument did you study?

dEhiN wrote:The person after me knows what musical modes, such as Aeolian, are.

no, but I'm pretty curious about this! I'll have a look at them!

The person after me feels minor scales sound really oriental.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

User avatar
Osias
Posts: 8113
Joined: 2007-09-09, 17:38
Real Name: Osias Junior
Gender: male
Location: Vitória
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: the person after me game

Postby Osias » 2017-11-20, 17:01

I have no idea what's the difference.

The next human being isn't sure about being a female.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 22399
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: the person after me game

Postby linguoboy » 2017-11-20, 17:46

france-eesti wrote:Actually this is why I wrote 'URSS' in French. If I had wished to write in English, then I would have written 'USSR' :wink:

"wanted" is far more common in contemporary English than "wished".

france-eesti wrote:Wow, that's so much, on which occasions have you studied them? I cannot read "fluently" read F-clef, but that's because I don't use it - I mostly use G-clef or C-clef :) Which instrument did you study?

"on which occasions have you studied" is an oddly precise question, as if you want dEhiN to list every single one. We'd normally say just "when did you study".

Osias wrote:I have no idea what's the difference is.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
dEhiN
Forum Administrator
Posts: 6168
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: the person after me game

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-21, 7:12

france-eesti wrote:Actually this is why I wrote 'URSS' in French. If I had wished to write in English, then I would have written 'USSR' :wink:

Ahh, my apologies then!

france-eesti wrote:Wow, that's so much, in which occasions have you studied them? I cannot read "fluently" F-clef, but because I don't use it - I mostly use G-clef or C-clef :)
Which instrument did you study?

To be fair, I'm not fluent in reading them, in the sense of I can read them quickly and without error. It's been so long that my level is probably equivalent to a B1! But I initially learned G-clef (it's actually funny for me to use G/C/F because I think over here it's way more common to say treble, alto, and bass) because I learned flute in grade 7, which is around age 13. I have also learned a little bit of piano over the years which is why I had to learn the F-clef. But at this point, in order to read the two clefs, I would probably have to start from middle C and work upward/downward, counting each space/line as I go. I even forget the various acronyms and mnemonics that we learned to help us remember the notes. (Well I remember FACE and Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge, but I don't remember which clef those two go with and if it's for spaces or lines).

france-eesti wrote:
dEhiN wrote:The person after me knows what musical modes, such as Aeolian, are.
no, but I'm pretty curious about this! I'll have a look at them!

They're fun! The song Scarborough Fair (here's a rendition by Simon & Garfunkel) is in Dorian mode.

linguoboy wrote:
france-eesti wrote:Wow, that's so much, on which occasions have you studied them? I cannot read "fluently" read F-clef, but that's because I don't use it - I mostly use G-clef or C-clef :) Which instrument did you study?

"on which occasions have you studied" is an oddly precise question, as if you want dEhiN to list every single one. We'd normally say just "when did you study".

For me, "on which occasions" also sounds fairly formal or of a high register. For example, if someone said to me "yeah, I've met so-and-so several times", and I wanted to ask specifically when, in most settings I would say "when did you meet them", even though the reference implies multiple occasions.
My TAC for 2018.

(en-ca) (ta-lk) (fr) (es) (en_old)

User avatar
tiuwiu
Posts: 261
Joined: 2011-04-10, 4:59
Gender: female
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)

Re: the person after me game

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-11-21, 17:39

Osias wrote:The next human being isn't sure about being a female.




No, I'm absolutely sure I'm female. ... At least I wore a pink scarf today :lol:


The person after me wants to sit down and read a good book.


Return to “English”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest