the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

Antea
Re: the person after me game

Postby Antea » 2017-08-04, 12:51

No. But the other day I was singing "Jinggle Bells" while cooking.

The person after me uses to sing while cooking.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-04, 13:54

No, I usually ask my husband to sing because I sing out of tune and everyone begs me to shut for fuck up.
Else I also have a CD reader in the kitchen :mrgreen: Because if I carry on singing this way, Agnetha from ABBA will come to my home and kill me with a bazooka.

The person after me is very good at karaoke (sing along?).
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-08-04, 14:31

Not really, because I'm shy if I am singing alone. With a group of people is better.

The person after me likes doing aquagym.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-04, 15:13

Antea wrote:No. But the other day I was singing "Jinggle Bells" while cooking.

The person after me uses to sings while cooking.

Use only forms a habitual in the past tense, never the present. The present tense verb alone expresses habitual action.
france-eesti wrote:No, I usually ask my husband to sing because I sing out of tune and everyone begs me to shut forthe fuck up.
Else I also have a CD readerplayer in the kitchen :mrgreen: Because if I carry on singing this way, Agnetha from ABBA will come to my home and kill me with a bazooka.

The person after me is very good at karaoke (sing along?).

Antea wrote:The person after me likes doing aquagym.

I don't know what "aquagym" is, but if it involves vigourous exercise, I probably wouldn't enjoy it at all.

The person after me can splash about in the water all day without pruning.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Estrella

Postby Estrella » 2017-08-06, 2:00

Is that even possible?

The person after me doesn't know how to swim.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-06, 2:40

I know but I'm bad. I'm bad.

The person after me used to think "scooby doo" was a phrasal verb.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-06, 6:59

No I always knew it was the name of a fictional dog. But now I'm curious what the person before me thought the "doo" meant if they thought "scooby doo" was a phrasal verb?!

The person after me has such a hard time coming up with things to say about the person after them.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-06, 13:24

dEhiN wrote:No I always knew it was the name of a fictional dog. But now I'm curious what the person before me thought the "doo" meant if they thought "scooby doo" was a phrasal verb?!

Nothing. Like EVERY particle after the verb in EVERY phrasal verb.

The person after me has such a hard time coming up with things to say about the person after them.
Not at all.

The person after me could be wearing red socks now, if it wasn't the hot weather.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-06, 16:30

I never wear socks, except when it's winter and then they're fluffy and shocking pink.

The person after me used to play Tetris when they were younger.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-06, 18:24

Osias wrote:The person after me could be wearing red socks now, if it wasn't the hot weather.

A little unidiomatic. My dialect prefers would here because could is often epistemic (e.g. "He could be wearing red socks now, I dunno, I haven't seen his feet").

france-eesti wrote:The person after me used to play Tetris when they were younger.

Of course. What kind of games are the kids playing today if not Tetris and Super Mario Bros?

The person after me would rather play games with physical pieces than video games.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-07, 4:57

Yes, must friendlier :)
(but that's my opinion only, of course, I'm kinda obsolete.)

The person after me thinks slang is one very important part in the languages they're studying.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-07, 6:07

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:The person after me could be wearing red socks now, if it wasn't the hot weather.

A little unidiomatic. My dialect prefers would here because could is often epistemic (e.g. "He could be wearing red socks now, I dunno, I haven't seen his feet").

My dialect would also "for" - "if it wasn't for the hot weather". Leaving it out is a form of ellipsis I haven't really encountered before. What about you linguoboy? Have you seen the usage "if it wasn't for X" with "for" being taken out?

france-eesti wrote:I never wear socks, except when it's winter and then they're fluffy and shocking pink.

For me "shocking pink" would be the specific name of a shade of pink. If I wanted to use an adjective to emphasize the pinkness, then I would say "shockingly pink". But perhaps this usage difference isn't common across the board.

france-eesti wrote:Yes, mustch friendlier

france-eesti wrote:The person after me thinks slang is one very important part in of the languages they're studying.

The preposition "in" works, but to my ears it sounds a little bit unidiomatic. I guess maybe it's more common to say "something is a part of something else". From what I can recall right now, when we say "part in something" we usually use another verb: I have a part in the play / I took part in the recital.

I think slang is important, but I prefer to first learn the formal spoken and written variants of a language, and then learn things like slang, colloquialism, idioms, etc.

Which superpower would the person after me choose if they could wake up tomorrow and suddenly have a superpower?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-07, 12:48

"Skocking pink" was a deliberate choice of colour :D
I don't know all the shades of pink but I love the name of "shocking pink" (saw it in Harry Potter and always thought I'd love to reuse it somewhere - so that day has come...)

Otherwise, I'd love to be able to read people's mind like Mel Gibson in "What Women Want". Sure some of their thoughts will upset me but I'm sure I'll get over it once I hear what they think about the others :twisted:

Does the person after me prefer lager or stout?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-07, 13:42

I never had a beer.

The person after me will point out that in their dialect it sounds better to say "had beers".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-07, 15:09

dEhiN wrote:My dialect would also "for" - "if it wasn't for the hot weather". Leaving it out is a form of ellipsis I haven't really encountered before. What about you linguoboy? Have you seen the usage "if it wasn't for X" with "for" being taken out?

I keep forgetting that I shouldn't even attempt to correct these sentences unless my eyes are sharp enough to catch every single error the first time.

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:I never wear socks, except when it's winter and then they're fluffy and shocking pink.

For me "shocking pink" would be the specific name of a shade of pink.

Which is exactly what it is.

france-eesti wrote:Otherwise, I'd love to be able to read people's minds like Mel Gibson in "What Women Want". Sure some of their thoughts will upset me but I'm sure I'll get over it once I hear what they think about the others :twisted:

Since you're describing a hypothetical situation, I would use conditional throughout (i.e. "...would upset me...", "...I'd get over it...", "...once I heard...").

Osias wrote:I've never had a beer.

Even most NA speakers would prefer the perfect here, IMO.

Osias wrote:The person after me will point out that in their dialect it sounds better to say "had beers".

Nope. You could use a mass noun here ("I've never had beer") but it sounds better to use the singular because it emphasises how you've had beer even one single time.

The person after me thinks drinking lager is one step away from drinking water.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-07, 16:03

That thing sounds like what we call here "potato water", mostly to criticize weak coffee.

The person after me wants to be the pope.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-08-07, 17:37

No! I'm not even Catholic.

The person after me is good at telling jokes.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-07, 18:18

No, that's one other thing I'm bad at.

The person after me can bake a cake that will exactly look like the one on the picture.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-07, 20:06

This is not a job for me the baker of the cakes, but for the cake decorator.

The person after me cools down drinking sodas.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-07, 20:36

Osias wrote:This is not a job for me the baker of the cakes, but for the cake decorator.

I'm not sure if you're saying that you're the one baking the cakes and it's the decorator's responsibility to make them look like the picture rather than yours or if you're saying that you're not suited to being a cake baker but would make a good cake decorator.

Return to “English”