the person after me game

Moderator:JackFrost

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator
Re: the person after me game

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-08-16, 3:14

(en) french (fr) My flags are working because my flags are the best flags. 8-) But seriously, it looks like the flag tags without the equals sign, or with text after the equals sign, display properly.

The person after me isn't very good at keeping a secret.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-16, 4:07

Dormouse559 wrote:(en) french (fr) My flags are working because my flags are the best flags. 8-) But seriously, it looks like the flag tags without the equals sign, or with text after the equals sign, display properly.

It seems that's only fine as long as you don't add a complex code. Try en-us or en-US.

I'm ok with secrets. It's sometimes a struggle for me to not blab but I try to keep the confidence.

The person after me has perfectionist tendencies that drive them mad.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-16, 11:31

Yes, unfortunately, as I get older, I tend to become a perfectionist... Especially with food and clothes. My poor husband is almost feeling banned from the kitchen, he's only allowed to sit at the table and eat when I decide everything is perfect, unless, no way! :twisted:

The person after me happily helps their partner with cooking (unless they do all the cooking themselves, in that case, does the person after me happily accepts help from their partner with cooking?)
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-16, 20:05

When she tries to 'help' she ends up micromanaging me.

Thunderbolt and lightning very very frighten the person after me.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-17, 5:04

france-eesti wrote:Yes, unfortunately, as I get older, I tend to become a perfectionist... Eespecially with food and clothes.

You could leave "especially" capitalized to make it a new sentence, but I think it's not really necessary. You're using the ellipsis to tack on more information to your first sentence, so making it one sentence in total is fine.

france-eesti wrote:My poor husband is almost feelings (completely) banned from the kitchen,; he's only allowed to sit at the table and eat when I decide everything is perfect, unless otherwise, no way! :twisted:

You don't need to include "completely", but it could be a way to emphasize that your husband doesn't quite feel banned, but almost feels banned.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me happily helps their partner with cooking (unless they do all the cooking themselves, in that which case, does the person after me happily accepts help from their partner with while cooking?)

At the end, you could also say "with the cooking". The clause "with cooking" works in other situations, but in your particular sentence it doesn't. Or, at least, it doesn't sound as native-like as "while cooking" or "with the cooking".

Osias wrote:Thunderbolt and lightning very very much frighten the person after me.

The phrase "very very" doesn't quite work in this sentence for some reason. At least I've never used it here and neither have I heard it used. I'm not sure why, but "very much" works better in certain situations like this one. Actually thinking about it now, I think I use "very very" before an adjective: I'm very, very scared. And I use "very much" before a verb: I very much will run in the upcoming 5K.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-17, 8:42

Thanks David for your help! I really appreciate it :wink:

Osias wrote:Thunderbolt and lightning very very frighten the person after me.

Not really. Not more than weighing myself one day after having had a beer.

The person after me fasts at least once a year.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-17, 14:46

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:Thunderbolt and lightning very very much frighten the person after me.

The phrase "very very" doesn't quite work in this sentence for some reason.

Yeah, the grammar of song lyrics don't always match the grammar of this game.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-17, 16:32

dEhiN wrote:

Dude, seriously?

Sorry, that was a bit rude. I shouldn't assume everyone has the necessary context to interpret this, so here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-17, 18:49

Magnifico!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-18, 3:09

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Dude, seriously?

Sorry, that was a bit rude. I shouldn't assume everyone has the necessary context to interpret this, so here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't realize Osias was quoting directly from a song! I know the song too - it's actually my favourite Queen song - but for some reason things written on here that are pop culture references seem to go right over my head. :(

Edit: In this particular case, I think I also never quite knew what that line was in the song. I've always just heard "thunder bolts and lightning very very ... me".

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-18, 14:37

france-eesti wrote:The person after me fasts at least once a year.

I used to fast more often, then I joined my wife on her diet.

The person after me creeps me out.

R. Diesel

Postby R. Diesel » 2017-08-20, 8:17

Osias wrote:
france-eesti wrote:The person after me fasts at least once a year.

I used to fast more often, then I joined my wife on her diet.

The person after me creeps me out.

I don't. :) In fact I had to watch the word in a dictionary, so if it means "to make someone fear", I don't and don't want to. :)

The person after me thinks banks make money of nothing and are to be blamed for that.
"grammatik gelernt du hast bei meister yoda" :c)

Wir aber, die wir stark sind, sollen das Unvermögen der Schwachen tragen und nicht Gefallen an uns selber haben.
Römer. 15.1

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-20, 12:27

Yes, let Bitcoin take over the world!

The person after me thinks cryptocurrencies are ponzi schemes.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-21, 7:27

R. Diesel wrote:I don't. :) In fact I had to watch look up the word in a dictionary, so if it means "to make someone fear", I don't and don't want to. :)

I would say "to creep someone out" means both to make them afraid of you and disgusted by you. For example, I might say "bugs really creep me out". Another similar expression would be "bugs really make my skin crawl". So it's not fear in the same sense as "I'm afraid of the dark, or of bears". It's more like a disgust or revulsion mixed with fear.

The person after me thinks banks make money off nothing and are to be blamed for that.

You can't use "of" as a preposition here. (Well actually some do use the phrase "of nothing" but that's a colloquial/slang phrase that isn't commonly used across the English-speaking world, afaik.) Your choices would be "off", "for" or "from", depending on what exactly you want to say. I assume you meant "off" but I'll try to explain the three:

1) "make money off nothing" - I'm not sure how much sense this would make, but in general when we say "do something off something else" it tends to be used in a negative way. For example, we might say "he made millions off the backs of migrant workers".

2) "make money for nothing" - to make money in return for nothing, or with no recompense/reward as a return

3) "make money from nothing" - to make money using nothing as a starting point; another way we might say this is "to make money from scratch"

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-21, 14:26

I can see a fourth possibility, dEhiN: "make money out of nothing". Essentially synonymous with "from nothing".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-22, 0:42

linguoboy wrote:I can see a fourth possibility, dEhiN: "make money out of nothing". Essentially synonymous with "from nothing".

Oh right, I forgot about that! Thanks.

Osias wrote:The person after me thinks cryptocurrencies are ponzi schemes.

Not particularly. I just don't trust them nor do I use them because I don't feel they are a legitimate enough currency model that is backed by established and (fairly) trustworthy organizations such as national banks.

The person after me thinks this world is going to hell in a handbasket.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-23, 4:48

Yes, sadly, and there's no way to stop this process... :|

The person after me's ring tone is a total crazy frog.

yaboi

Postby yaboi » 2017-08-23, 9:14

No, it's not even remotely similar to anything like that.
What is the person after me's favourite poet?

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-23, 10:09

I am not too much into poetry but I have a La Fontaine book in my bathroom :D

What does the person after me do first thing when they're back from a long journey?

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2017-08-23, 17:06

I will open the windows and air out the rooms for a few minutes.

The person after me has never been to a country that is in the Southern Hemisphere.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Return to “English”