Moderator:JackFrost

jumichlo
please correct this English text

Postby jumichlo » 2006-03-07, 12:23

Text for a folder:

Caritas House for Refugees
Bernardgasse & Lassallestrasse

Caritas & Basic Support:
In our houses in Bernardgasse und Lassallestrasse are living asylum seekers and other foreigners within the system of the “Basic Welfare Support” which was established by the Austrian government in May 2004.

Caritas Vienna is responsible for the accommodation, provision and social support of the people in both our houses while the city council of Vienna is financing the houses for the major part.

In the house Bernardgasse are about 80 places available (for families and singles); in the house Lassallestrasse we can accommodate 27 people (only families).
Presently about 110 people are living in both our houses. Most people are coming from Russia (mostly from Chechenia), Nigeria, Georgia and Iran.

Our team consists of people with different background. Our staff speaks the most important languages like Russian, English, Arabic or Persian.

Social Support:
Most people in our house arrive just a few weeks after the crossing of the Austrian border.
As a rule they have no information about our country, they don’t speak German and are confronted with a different culture.
The asylum proceeding can last many months or even years. In that time the asylum seekers are not permitted to work.

This waiting period should be more then just an empty and passive time.
We support those people in their daily needs. We help them to find some general orientation, we give basic legal advice and try to prepare them for an independent life in Austria.

Geist

Re: please correct this English text

Postby Geist » 2006-03-08, 0:11

Text for a folder:

Caritas House for Refugees
Bernardgasse & Lassallestrasse

Caritas & Basic Support:
Asylum seekers and other foreigners are currently living in our houses in Bernardgasse and Lassallestrasse. They live under the system of "Basic Welfare Support”that was established by the Austrian government in May 2004.

Caritas Vienna is responsible for the accommodation, provision :?:, and social support of the people residing in both of our houses. The city council of Vienna is financing the houses for the major part.:?:(part of what?)

In the house on (the) Bernardgasse there are about 80 places available (for families and singles); in the house on (the) Lassallestrasse we can accommodate 27 people (only families).
Presently, about 110 people are living in both of our houses. Most residents come from Russia (mostly from Chechnya), Nigeria, Georgia and Iran.

Our team consists of people with different backgrounds. Staff members speak the most important languages :?: (like Russian, English, Arabic, and Persian).

Social Support:
Most people in our house(es :?:) arrive just a few weeks after crossing the Austrian border.
As a rule, they have no information about our country, don’t speak German, and are confronted with an alien culture.
The asylum proceeding(s :?:) can last many months, even years. During this period, the asylum seekers are not permitted to work.

This waiting period should be more than just an empty and passive :?: time.
We support these people and provide for their daily needs. We help them to find some general orientation :?:, give them basic legal advice, and try to prepare them for an independent life in Austria.

I've put question marks next to parts of the original I'm unsure about (in meaning or usage). If you have a German version, it might be easier for me to translate from/compare with that, to make sure the English version is as accurate as possible.

Other English speakers, feel free to improve my corrections.
Last edited by Geist on 2006-03-15, 0:11, edited 1 time in total.
Das ganze Meer verändert sich, wenn ein Stein hineingeworfen wird.
- Blaise Pascal

English, Deutsch, Español

Learning: Polski, Русский

jumichlo

Postby jumichlo » 2006-03-08, 21:57

Danke!

Rounin

Postby Rounin » 2006-03-14, 21:35

It should be "more than" instead of "more then", though...!

Stan

Postby Stan » 2006-03-14, 21:50

Chechenia should be Chechnya
if I was President,
I'd get elected on Friday
assassinated on Saturday
buried on Sunday

Geist

Postby Geist » 2006-03-15, 0:11

I missed these. :oops: Thanks!
Das ganze Meer verändert sich, wenn ein Stein hineingeworfen wird.

- Blaise Pascal

English, Deutsch, Español

Learning: Polski, Русский

Return to “English”