Page 263 of 263

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-02-19, 17:15
by Lutrinae
I shouldn't have gotten out of it and I'd been done (talking about an app and a task we had to do)

Is it the correct formulation? I tend to get confused if I have to say "I should have got" or "I should have gotten".

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-02-19, 17:27
by linguoboy
Lutrinae wrote:I shouldn't have gotten out of it and I'd been done (talking about an app and a task we had to do)

Is it the correct formulation? I tend to get confused if I have to say "I should have got" or "I should have gotten".

got vs gotten is a question of dialect. ("gotten" is specifically North American.)

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here. Is it that you'd have completed the task if you hadn't quit the app? Because, if so, that's how I'd phrase it:

"If I hadn't gotten out of it, I'd be done by now."

You could also say "I would have been done" ("I'd have been done" or nonstandard "I'd've been done") but that strikes me as a bit wordy.

If you really want to use "should", I'd make that a separate clause: "I shouldn't've gotten out of it. If I hadn't, I'd be done by now."

(Many NA speakers would say "didn't" there instead of "hadn't", but that usage grates on me and might be confusing to Commonwealth speakers.)

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-02-19, 18:07
by Lutrinae
linguoboy wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here. Is it that you'd have completed the task if you hadn't quit the app? Because, if so, that's how I'd phrase it:

"If I hadn't gotten out of it, I'd be done by now."


Yep, that! Thank you :)

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-03-04, 11:49
by Gormur
I thought they were trying to say:

I shouldn't have gotten out of it or I'd've been done [by now]

It just sounds incomplete to me :) :hmm:

How about rear versus raise?

I'll never forget when I was in middle school, this teacher I had forced us students to use this and sundry forms. Like, when you speak aloud you must say I was reared by my parents, not raised

Another I remember well, you must use I. In other words, your mother and I or the family and my instead of I or I's, in some dialects

I guess in my dialect, I already had these but a lot of kids seemed to have trouble :| :hmm:

For example, me and him I already knew it wasn't what I said. Though I would say him and I which is probably a hypercorrection of he and I, but I fixed that quickly. I never saw a problem with using me and my friend though

Does anyone know why that would be? :para: :hmm:

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-03-22, 11:39
by Lutrinae
Is it correct to say "Where is this place?" when you wanna get an answer like "This place is a school." or "This place is a park."?

To me it seems more natural to say "What is this place?"

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-03-22, 18:25
by Dormouse559
Lutrinae wrote:Is it correct to say "Where is this place?" when you wanna get an answer like "This place is a school." or "This place is a park."?

To me it seems more natural to say "What is this place?"

You are correct. "What is this place?" is the proper question for the kind of answers you want. "Where is this place?" will get answers like "It's at 1234 Main Street" or "It's near the library." Identity vs. location.

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-03-22, 19:11
by Lutrinae
Dormouse559 wrote:
Lutrinae wrote:Is it correct to say "Where is this place?" when you wanna get an answer like "This place is a school." or "This place is a park."?

To me it seems more natural to say "What is this place?"

You are correct. "What is this place?" is the proper question for the kind of answers you want. "Where is this place?" will get answers like "It's at 1234 Main Street" or "It's near the library." Identity vs. location.


Thanks! :D
I am using Lingodeer app as an addition to my Korean learning books, and I know that they mentioned that they would used a semi-literal translation but this seemed off more than unnatural. I guess that in Korean it can be both (Or that they made a mistake, but it supposed to be pretty good for Asian languages)

Image

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-03-22, 20:51
by Dormouse559
Lutrinae wrote:I am using Lingodeer app as an addition to my Korean learning books, and I know that they mentioned that they would used a semi-literal translation but this seemed off more than unnatural. I guess that in Korean it can be both (Or that they made a mistake, but it's supposed to be pretty good for Asian languages)

Hmm, well, I don't know any Korean, so I can't tell you what's going on there. I think linguoboy knows some Korean, though. :hmm:

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-03-22, 21:23
by Lutrinae
Dormouse559 wrote:Hmm, well, I don't know any Korean, so I can't tell you what's going on there. I think linguoboy knows some Korean, though. :hmm:


Yes for sure, but I should keep this for the Korean thread I guess :D :roll:

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-05-14, 10:20
by Gormur
Fear for your life must be a frozen expression, but feared for used in this sense seems like it must be chiefly UK (and Australia, New Zealand) English

In NAE one could say I feared for my safety but in English English you could just as well express they feared for me which means they were afraid of me

I think I'd noticed this early on since my kindergarten teacher was English. Just thought about the frozen expression and wondered how old the other usage is

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-05-14, 14:23
by Linguaphile
Gormur wrote:In NAE one could say I feared for my safety but in English English you could just as well express they feared for me which means they were afraid of me

I don't know how it is used in England, but for myself (American English from the west coast), I'd understand they feared for me to mean they were worried about me, i.e. afraid of what might happen to me. It does not mean they are afraid of me. It's an expression of concern for the person "feared for".
It's a similar idea in the expressions I feared for my safety or I feared for my life. It doesn't mean that my safety (or my life) scared me; it means I was afraid of losing my safety (or my life). I was afraid of what might happen that could endanger my safety or my life. So in all of those uses, it expresses great concern for the person or thing "feared for".

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-05-14, 16:53
by linguoboy
Gormur wrote:In NAE one could say I feared for my safety but in English English you could just as well express they feared for me which means they were afraid of me

The OED doesn't recognise this usage. It glosses "fear for" as "To be apprehensive about, to fear something happening to".

Re: Discussion Group

Posted: 2020-05-15, 16:08
by Gormur
Maybe it's classed as informal over there. Because on BBC shows I hear fear for used like afraid of and I clearly remember it from my English teacher who was my kindergarten teacher

Maybe a UKer will show up to clear this up :)