Discussion Group

Moderator: JackFrost

Lutrinae

Re: Discussion Group

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-02-19, 17:15

I shouldn't have gotten out of it and I'd been done (talking about an app and a task we had to do)

Is it the correct formulation? I tend to get confused if I have to say "I should have got" or "I should have gotten".
Thanks for any correction :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-19, 17:27

Lutrinae wrote:I shouldn't have gotten out of it and I'd been done (talking about an app and a task we had to do)

Is it the correct formulation? I tend to get confused if I have to say "I should have got" or "I should have gotten".

got vs gotten is a question of dialect. ("gotten" is specifically North American.)

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here. Is it that you'd have completed the task if you hadn't quit the app? Because, if so, that's how I'd phrase it:

"If I hadn't gotten out of it, I'd be done by now."

You could also say "I would have been done" ("I'd have been done" or nonstandard "I'd've been done") but that strikes me as a bit wordy.

If you really want to use "should", I'd make that a separate clause: "I shouldn't've gotten out of it. If I hadn't, I'd be done by now."

(Many NA speakers would say "didn't" there instead of "hadn't", but that usage grates on me and might be confusing to Commonwealth speakers.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-02-19, 18:07

linguoboy wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here. Is it that you'd have completed the task if you hadn't quit the app? Because, if so, that's how I'd phrase it:

"If I hadn't gotten out of it, I'd be done by now."

Yep, that! Thank you :)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-04, 11:49

I thought they were trying to say:

I shouldn't have gotten out of it or I'd've been done [by now]

It just sounds incomplete to me :) :hmm:

How about rear versus raise?

I'll never forget when I was in middle school, this teacher I had forced us students to use this and sundry forms. Like, when you speak aloud you must say I was reared by my parents, not raised

Another I remember well, you must use I. In other words, your mother and I or the family and my instead of I or I's, in some dialects

I guess in my dialect, I already had these but a lot of kids seemed to have trouble :| :hmm:

For example, me and him I already knew it wasn't what I said. Though I would say him and I which is probably a hypercorrection of he and I, but I fixed that quickly. I never saw a problem with using me and my friend though

Does anyone know why that would be? :para: :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-03-22, 11:39

Is it correct to say "Where is this place?" when you wanna get an answer like "This place is a school." or "This place is a park."?

To me it seems more natural to say "What is this place?"

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-03-22, 18:25

Lutrinae wrote:Is it correct to say "Where is this place?" when you wanna get an answer like "This place is a school." or "This place is a park."?

You are correct. "What is this place?" is the proper question for the kind of answers you want. "Where is this place?" will get answers like "It's at 1234 Main Street" or "It's near the library." Identity vs. location.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-03-22, 19:11

Dormouse559 wrote:
Lutrinae wrote:Is it correct to say "Where is this place?" when you wanna get an answer like "This place is a school." or "This place is a park."?

You are correct. "What is this place?" is the proper question for the kind of answers you want. "Where is this place?" will get answers like "It's at 1234 Main Street" or "It's near the library." Identity vs. location.

Thanks! :D
I am using Lingodeer app as an addition to my Korean learning books, and I know that they mentioned that they would used a semi-literal translation but this seemed off more than unnatural. I guess that in Korean it can be both (Or that they made a mistake, but it supposed to be pretty good for Asian languages)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-03-22, 20:51

Lutrinae wrote:I am using Lingodeer app as an addition to my Korean learning books, and I know that they mentioned that they would used a semi-literal translation but this seemed off more than unnatural. I guess that in Korean it can be both (Or that they made a mistake, but it's supposed to be pretty good for Asian languages)

Hmm, well, I don't know any Korean, so I can't tell you what's going on there. I think linguoboy knows some Korean, though. :hmm:
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-03-22, 21:23

Dormouse559 wrote:Hmm, well, I don't know any Korean, so I can't tell you what's going on there. I think linguoboy knows some Korean, though. :hmm:

Yes for sure, but I should keep this for the Korean thread I guess :D :roll:

Return to “English”