nor was there....

Moderator:JackFrost

artart
nor was there....

Postby artart » 2024-05-15, 4:25

1) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine present, nor were there any friends.
2) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine present, nor was there a friend.
3) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine present, nor was there my wife.
4) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine present, nor was there Jane.

Which are grammatical and meaningful?

Linguaphile

Re: nor was there....

Postby Linguaphile » 2024-05-15, 5:36

artart wrote:1) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine present, nor were there any friends.
2) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine present, nor was there a friend.

#1 and #2 are fine. I would say that #1 is more common than #2.

artart wrote:3) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine present, nor was there my wife.
4) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine present, nor was there Jane

When we're talking about specific people, we usually modify the word order, like this:

3) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine present, nor was my wife there my wife.
4) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine present, nor was Jane there Jane.

That's the short answer, here's the longer one:
The changes I made to #3 and #4 change the second part of the sentence from an existential clause ("there was"/"there were"/"nor was there") to a phrase with the person (wife, Jane) as the subject. Your original sentences are using the word "there" as a dummy subject (in place of a name "Jane" or a noun like "my wife"). Changing the word order makes "Jane" or "my wife" the subject, which sounds much better than formulating it as an existential clause with a dummy subject.
With the change in word order, I'd say they're all acceptable, and #1 and #2 are also fine as you've written them.

artart

Postby artart » 2024-05-15, 10:43

Thank you very much, Lingophile, for your clear and detailed response,

One more question, if I may.

Would #1 and #2 work if I tool out the word 'present'?

1) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine, nor were there any friends.
2) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine, nor was there a friend.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2024-05-15, 13:09

artart wrote:Thank you very much, Lingophile, for your clear and detailed response,

One more question, if I may.

Would #1 and #2 work if I tool out the word 'present'?

1) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine, nor were there any friends.
2) I was at a party last night. There were no family members of mine, nor was there a friend.

Yes, they do!

Return to “English”