The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

Allekanger
Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby Allekanger » 2022-05-03, 17:26

linguoboy wrote:
Allekanger wrote:I do, actually! It's a lot of rock and pop music from the 80's: Blondie, Eva Cassidy, Starship and Phil Collins among others.

Minor point: The prevailing convention in English is to put names of both musical ensembles and solo performers in plain type, album titles in italics, and song titles in quotes. So for example: "Heart of Glass" by Blondie from the album Parallel Lines.

Thank you! I'll remember this!

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-05-03, 23:54

azhong wrote:The person after me will introduce a game they played as kids which they think was somewhat local to where they are.

I don't think any of the games I've played were local. I mean, There was some of them that I never saw in other cities, but all of them 'felt' like Brazilian wide.

Except, of course, the ones I've created myself.

The person after me has created their own chess variant.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-05-04, 14:08

Wikipedia wrote:Chess, sometimes called Western chess or international chess, is a board game played between two players. One controls the white pieces; the other controls the black pieces. At the start, each player controls sixteen pieces: one king, one queen, two rooks, two bishops, two knights, and eight pawns. The object of the game is to checkmate the opponent's king, whereby the king is under immediate attack (in "check") and there is no way for it to escape.

A chess variant is a game related to, derived from, or inspired by chess. Such variants can differ from chess in many different ways: three players playing together as an example, or starting with the pieces in a random position as another. There are thousands of variants already.

I had no idea of this topic before I read relevant Wikipedia pages, although I once played Western chess when I was a kid. In response to the last post, this is a chess variant I newly created: Breeding Chess. Its special rule goes this way: When a black piece, a bishop for example, bumps into a white bishop, instead of eating it, the black side can choose to revive a black bishop given that there is a dead one. And so are rook, knight and pawn pairs. And so is the reverse, when the white side can choose to breed a white piece of the same species.

The person after me will share with us one of their favourite snacks.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-05-04, 14:24

I think gaming community wouldn't use 'breed' for that, but 'respawn'. But the variant is yours, name it whatever you want. :D
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-05-04, 20:14

Osias wrote:but all of them felt like Brazilian-wide.

azhong wrote:I had no idea of this topic before I read the relevant Wikipedia pages, although I once played Western chess when I was a kid. In response to the last post, this is a chess variant I newlyhave just created: Breeding Chess. Its special rule goes this way: When a black piece, a bishop for example, bumps into a white bishop, instead of eatingtaking it, the black side can choose to revive a black bishop given that there is a dead one. And so arewith rook, knight and pawn pairs. And so is thein reverse, when the white side can choose to breed a white piece of the same species.

I agree with Osias that "breed" is not a good word choice here.

The chief issue I see with this variant is: What happens to the opponent's piece that has been "bumped into"? In chess, you take a piece by landing on the square it occupies. Two pieces cannot occupy the same square. So what happens to the pieces? Does the opponent's piece remain where it is and the player's piece goes back to the square it began its move on? And what about the piece that "breeds"? Where does it entre the board? And what happens if that square is occupied (either by one of the player's other pieces or one of the opponent's pieces)?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-05-05, 2:02

(I don't really intend to develop a new chess variant. I'll just, as usual, interpret your comments as a demonstration of natural expressions. So, let's go on.)

The person after me will share with us one of their favourite snacks.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-05-05, 19:23

azhong wrote:The person after me will share with us one of their favourite snacks.

Cheese and crackers. Especially a nice sharp cheddar and a buttery cracker, like a Ritz or Town House. When it's cold, I like to put them under the broiler until the cheese melts.

The person after me will tell us their favourite flavour of potato chips.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-05-06, 13:36

The world's first seasoned chips was Cheese & Onion flavour, manufactured in 1954. Classical chip flavours include barbecue, sour cream & onion, salt & vinegar, cheese. The regional, fancy flavours mentioned in the Random Culture Thread include salty licorice (Finland), chocolate & caramel (a terrible flavour no more available now), champagne, numbing & spicy (China), ketchup (Canadian), and all-dressed (Canadian). An all dressed hamburger, hotdog, etc is served with all available garnishes. So, all-dressed chips have a mixed flavour of several flavours, including tomato ketchup, barbecue sauce and salt & vinegar.

It's not so much the flavours of chips as the calories that I care.* I should have tried some classical flavours but none of those fancy ones mentioned. Regardless, chips are all unexceptionally delicious to me--too delicious to stop once I start having a pack. It becomes a disadvantage here that I'm not a picky eater. I imagine maple-flavoured chips in Canada, or a stinky-doufu flavour in Taiwan.

*Q: Is it natural to say this sentence again in a different way, according to the German sentence pattern weniger A as vielmehr B, "it's less the flavours of chips than the calories that I care"?

The person after me has favourite colours in cars, clothes, technology products or something.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-05-06, 14:43

azhong wrote:The world's first seasoned chips waswere Cheese & Onion flavour, manufactured in 1954. Classical chip flavours include barbecue, sour cream & onion, salt & vinegar, cheese. The regional, fancy flavours mentioned in the Random Culture Thread include salty licorice (Finland), chocolate & caramel (a terrible flavour no morelonger available now), champagne, numbing & spicy (China), ketchup (Canadian), and all-dressed (Canadian). An all-dressed hamburger, hotdog, etc is served with all available garnishes.

azhong wrote:It's not so much the flavours of chips as the calories that I care about.* I should have tried some classical flavours but none of those fancy ones mentioned.

I don't understand this sentence. Why should you have tried the classical flavours and not the others?

azhong wrote:*Q: Is it natural to say this sentence again in a different way, according to the German sentence pattern weniger A as vielmehr B, "it's less the flavours of chips than the calories that I care"?

First off, "care" is an intransitive verb. To make it transitive, it requires a preposition, e.g. "care about", "care for", "care to". The exception is if the complement is an entire clause, e.g. "I don't care what you say".

The alternative form is possible but the more natural order is to put the relative clause in the middle, i.e. "it's less the flavours of the chips I care about than the calories".

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-05-07, 2:14

linguoboy wrote:
I should have tried some classical flavours but none of those fancy ones mentioned.
I don't understand this sentence. Why should you have tried the classical flavours and not the others?

I intended to mean, "I probably have tried...". Thank you to help me eventually know that "should" of the meaning below can only be applied to future tense. (The stumbling block for a Chinese learning English is that both "should " and "probably" have the same translations "應該".)
should: used to show when something is likely or expected:
My dry cleaning should be ready this afternoon.
You should find this guidebook helpful.

Skrej

Postby Skrej » 2022-05-12, 15:17

The person after me has favourite colours in cars, clothes, technology products or something.

Eh, I'll focus on the 'something' aspect, namely food. My favorite food is probably Korean food.

The person after me appreciates good beer (however they choose to define that).

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-05-16, 13:43

There's a legend related to beer in my town. On the first day after a period of plum rain lasting for more than 7 days has stopped, ride a bike toward the direction of mountains, find the 7th person in white you meet, and have a easy chat with them. Without actively asking designed questions to get the answers, follow the first direction they mention as your next direction to go ahead in, and the first number as the kilometers you'll have to ride. At the end you'll see an old well, a little pond, or a stream. Using the water, you can make out the best beer in the world. After drinking a small cup of that beer, people say, you'll feel "your mind become transparent". After drinking the second one, "you'll feel your body becomes wind". No one knows the feeling of after drinking the third one; no experience of such is left.
I've never really put it into practice. I like keeping a clear mind and thus don't seek beer or any alcohol beverages.

The person after me will share with us his favorite snacks or food when having beer.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-05-16, 16:08

azhong wrote:There's a legend related to beer in my town.

I wouldn't call this a "legend". A legend is a story about something believed to have happened in the past for which there is little or no historical evidence, It's not something you could actually put into practice in the present day. I'd probably call what you're describing a "folk belief". (Sorry to get technical, but I actual found this presentation confusing, since I couldn't understand why you were narrating a "legend" in the present tense.)

azhong wrote:On the first day after a period of plum rain lasting for more than 7 days has stopped

Not a term most people would know. (I assume you mean a shower of plum blossoms but I'm not really sure.)

azhong wrote:ride a bike (toward)/(in the direction of) mountains, find the 7th person in white you meet, and have a easy chat with them. Without actively asking designed questions designed to get the answers, follow the first direction they mention as your next direction to go ahead in, and the first number as the number of kilometers you'll have to ride. At the end you'll see an old well, a little pond, or a stream. Using the water, you can make out the best beer in the world.

"make out" = "discern" (among other meanings)

azhong wrote:After drinking a small cup of that beer, people say, you'll feel "your mind become transparent". After drinking the second one, "you'll feel your body becomes wind". No one knows the feeling of that comes after drinking the third one; no experience of such is left.

I don't understand the last sentence.

azhong wrote:The person after me will share with us his favorite snacks or food when having beer.

I'm not really a beer drinker. I find though it goes well with salty snacks, like chips, pretzels, or roasted nuts.

The person after me has never tasted beer.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-05-17, 1:09

Never.

The person after me has influence about their municipality budget.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-05-17, 17:34

Osias wrote:The person after me has influence abouton their municipality budget.

Technically, yes. My alderperson does cooperative budgeting, so we all have a vote in how he spends his discretionary funds. He's pretty consultative in general, so even though my influence is very tiny, I don't think it's inconsequential.

The person after me tripped over their own feet today.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-05-18, 12:24

I was remembering one of the German sentences I've learned today while walking through my front yard over the crowded flowerpots which lay more crowded because I didn't placed them tidily.

"Die Meinsterschaft...ziecht Fans an...ziecht jedes Jahr tausende Fans an."

I was too excited about my successful recitation to notice a small flowerpot placed behind a big one. As I, in a hurry, shifted my leg in the air trying not to step on it, l lost my balance and tripped over my own feet. I would have fallen and crashed a bunch of flowerpots should I not grab in time an iron pole nearby.

The person after me will share with us their experiences that comes after smoking marijuana/weed or something similar (which is illigal here in Taiwan) .

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-05-18, 16:07

azhong wrote:I was remembering one of the German sentences I've learned today while walking through my front yard over the crowded flowerpots which lay more crowded because I hadn't placed them tidily.

"Die Meinsterschaft...ziecht Fans an...ziecht jedes Jahr tausende Fans an."

I was too excited about my successful recitation to notice a small flowerpot placed behind a big one. As I, in a hurry, shifted my leg in the air/(raised my leg) trying/(in order) not to step on it, l lost my balance and tripped over my own feet. I would have fallen and crushed a bunch of flowerpots shouldhad I not grabbed in time an iron pole nearby in time.

The person after me will share with us their experiences that comes after smoking marijuana/weed or something similar (which is illigal here in Taiwan) .

Return to “English”