Looking for the word

Moderator:JackFrost

linguoboy
Re: Looking for the word

Postby linguoboy » 2022-01-18, 14:26

Woods wrote:I would really like to have something sounding like a happy/successful marriage, but without the signatures.

Then I really think the word you want is "partner", however much you dislike it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-01-28, 12:09

the magic will dispel

That came to my mind, but then I saw all examples in Lexico are about doubts and other such things going away, all negative.

So what is a good collocation for the magic goes away/disappears - something sounding magical and fairy-taily, I guess :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-01-28, 17:04

Woods wrote:the magic will dispel

That came to my mind, but then I saw all examples in Lexico are about doubts and other such things going away, all negative.

So what is a good collocation for the magic goes away/disappears - something sounding magical and fairy-taily, I guess :)

You can't use "dispel" here in any case because it's transitive. My mind asks, "The magic will dispel...what?"

"Vanish" is the first word that comes to mind, but if that's not fancy enough, perhaps "evanesce"?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-01-28, 17:17

linguoboy wrote:You can't use "dispel" here in any case because it's transitive. My mind asks, "The magic will dispel...what?"

A-ha! Well, itself. The magic will "dispel itself", the idea is that the magic will disappear.

It is a translation - from Bulgarian: магията ще се развали - i.e. the magic will go away (literally go bad, undo itself - something like that) - so I'd just prefer to use the closest word :hmm:

"Vanish" is more about going away more slowly and gradually, isn't it? While this is more sudden. I am not sure about evanesce, but I think it's too fancy as well (I mean much more so than the original).

I have one more:

confines without a predicate?

(tbh, I am not sure if of something is a predicate, so linguoboy do not be too harsh and correct me if I'm wrong).

do not remain / do not get stuck in confines (it's in the imperative)

That doesn't work, does it?

The problem is that it's a title, and the confines of... (and then mentioning the thing) becomes too long.

I was thinking of "in a narrow space", but since the whole idea is about remaining within the confines of something metaphorical, that becomes too factual to fit.

So could "confines" be used just like that or any ideas for synonyms?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-01-28, 17:34

Woods wrote:
linguoboy wrote:You can't use "dispel" here in any case because it's transitive. My mind asks, "The magic will dispel...what?"

A-ha! Well, itself. The magic will "dispel itself", the idea is that the magic will disappear.

It is a translation - from Bulgarian: магията ще се развали - i.e. the magic will go away (literally go bad, undo itself - something like that) - so I'd just prefer to use the closest word :hmm:

"Vanish" is more about going away more slowly and gradually, isn't it? While this is more sudden. I am not sure about evanesce, but I think it's too fancy as well (I mean much more so than the original).

You can "vanish" suddenly as well. (FWIW, I just Googled "suddenly vanished" and "slowly vanished" and got 280,000 Ghits to 200,000.)

Maybe "cease to be"? These are simple words, but the effect is still somewhat poetic (and I think conveys immediacy, though I'd like to hear what other speakers think).

Woods wrote:I have one more:

confines without a predicate?

do not remain / do not get stuck in confines (it's in the imperative)

That doesn't work, does it?

The problem is that it's a title, and the confines of... (and then mentioning the thing) becomes too long.

I was thinking of "in a narrow space", but since the whole idea is about remaining within the confines of something metaphorical, that becomes too factual to fit.

So could "confines" be used just like that or any ideas for synonyms?

Why can't you just use "its confines" where "it" stands for whatever's in the descriptive "of" phrase?

E.g. "You are within the Fabulous Welshcakes Castle Arcade! Once you leave its hallowed confines, you may never again return!"

Woods wrote:(tbh, I am not sure if of something is a predicate, so linguoboy do not be too harsh and correct me if I'm wrong).

It's not a predicate. Only clauses have them and "confines of" is a phrase, not a clause.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-01-28, 18:49

linguoboy wrote:You can "vanish" suddenly as well. (FWIW, I just Googled "suddenly vanished" and "slowly vanished" and got 280,000 Ghits to 200,000.)

Maybe "cease to be"? These are simple words, but the effect is still somewhat poetic (and I think conveys immediacy, though I'd like to hear what other speakers think).

All right, so now I feel like I can use both. Thanks :)

I think I will go for "vanish", but I'll see when I read that passage again.

The fun thing is I just realised "vanish" and "evanesce" actually come from the same word!

linguoboy wrote:Why can't you just use "its confines" where "it" stands for whatever's in the descriptive "of" phrase?

Good idea. But since it's a title, even though it could be inferred from the superior title (i.e. upward in the hierarchy - I not sure how that would be called) what "it" is, it would take the reader a moment to do that process. So I think it's better without a reference as direct as a pronoun.

linguoboy wrote:
Woods wrote:(tbh, I am not sure if of something is a predicate, so linguoboy do not be too harsh and correct me if I'm wrong).

It's not a predicate. Only clauses have them and "confines of" is a phrase, not a clause.

:hmm:

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-03-03, 17:41

Right now I'm looking for the following words:

A synonym for "invention" in order to avoid repetition in this kind of phrase:

Whoever invented X was... This invention does Y.

It's not a device or an apparatus, we're talking about voice mail.

A slight smile

In Bulgarian "лека усмивка" would work well - "лека" means light, slight, not very wide or enthusiastic, but rather discreet or one that just happened - what words could possibly work for that?

(unfortunately I no longer remember the context for this one, but I still would like to know the answer (and maybe I find the context later))

Also looking for a one-word adjective qualifying a work of art, which is highly prized and the author does not want to sell it, but if a very high price is proposed, might agree on it.

The first that came to mind was "negotiable", but I think that means more that the price is not firm and could be lowered, while what is meant is that a sale could be agreed if a very high price is proposed. A long and detailed phrase is not really an option, because we're talking about info in a catalogue which needs to be concise.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-03-03, 20:22

Woods wrote:Right now I'm looking for the following words:

A synonym for "invention" in order to avoid repetition in this kind of phrase:

Whoever invented X was... This invention does Y.

It's not a device or an apparatus, we're talking about voice mail.

Voice mail is "system" or "feature".

Woods wrote:A slight smile

In Bulgarian "лека усмивка" would work well - "лека" means light, slight, not very wide or enthusiastic, but rather discreet or one that just happened - what words could possibly work for that?

"slight smile" works in English, as does "a hint of a smile".

Another term is "weak smile", but for me that refers specifically to the kind of unenthusiastic smile one presents in an awkward social situation. It's a way of letting someone know that their remarks or actions are not welcome without being rude.

Woods wrote:
Woods wrote:Also looking for a one-word adjective qualifying a work of art, which is highly prized and the author does not want to sell it, but if a very high price is proposed, might agree on it.

The first that came to mind was "negotiable", but I think that means more that the price is not firm and could be lowered, while what is meant is that a sale could be agreed if a very high price is proposed. A long and detailed phrase is not really an option, because we're talking about info in a catalogue which needs to be concise.

I can't think of one-word adjective. We just have phrases like "for the right price".

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-03-05, 1:30

Thank you for the answers in all three threads, linguoboy!

I'm looking for one more word - how would you call that thing that cats typically do to show affection - when they rub themselves in somebody's body and move along - what is the word for that?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-03-05, 3:48

Woods wrote:I'm looking for one more word - how would you call that thing that cats typically do to show affection - when they rub themselves in somebody's body and move along - what is the word for that?

"Nuzzling" maybe?

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-03-05, 10:09

linguoboy wrote:
Woods wrote:I'm looking for one more word - how would you call that thing that cats typically do to show affection - when they rub themselves in somebody's body and move along - what is the word for that?

"Nuzzling" maybe?

This is an interesting word. But the cat does it with the entire body, so I'm not sure if "nuzzle" covers that.

This cat does precisely what I mean after 02:35:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=umwE2ZCSPDk

And this one does something similar during the entire video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa33z3pfTM0

But the first one is the typical greeting by a cat which I mean - it just comes, rubs itself against your legs and goes on to keep doing what it was doing.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-03-06, 10:05

How would you call a separate section in a book, containing all the information that hasn't fitted into its chapters?

"Extra" sounds too casual, "Addendum" is like something that came up later (which is not the case)

Lexico gives those, but I don't feel like either of them is the right fit:

appendix, codicil, postscript, afterword, tailpiece, rider, coda, supplement, accompaniment

What I am looking for is the right title for a section that expands on some of the ideas in the general structure, with ideas that have been written at the same time, but would make the content too cluttered if included earlier; however equally important.

(from Lexico's synonyms, maybe "accompaniment" could fit, but I am not sure either about whether it means what is indended or if it is clear)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-03-07, 20:31

Woods wrote:What I am looking for is the right title for a section that expands on some of the ideas in the general structure, with ideas that have been written at the same time, but would make the content too cluttered if included earlier; however equally important.

Sounds like an "appendix" to me.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-03-08, 12:05

linguoboy wrote:
Woods wrote:What I am looking for is the right title for a section that expands on some of the ideas in the general structure, with ideas that have been written at the same time, but would make the content too cluttered if included earlier; however equally important.

But appendices I've seen are usually additional data - indices, maps, references, detailed lists and references that might be needed by the reader but not necessarily - aren't they? While here the idea is that the work follows a certain structure and that is just the stuff that doesn't fit there. It's kind of like an addendum except that it comes at the same time as the rest of the book :hmm:

What do you think of the word accompaniment in this context?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-03-08, 16:40

Woods wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

But appendices I've seen are usually additional data - indices, maps, references, detailed lists and references that might be needed by the reader but not necessarily - aren't they? While here the idea is that the work follows a certain structure and that is just the stuff that doesn't fit there. It's kind of like an addendum except that it comes at the same time as the rest of the book :hmm:

You're literally describing an appendix.

(Quick reminder: Library work is actually what I do for a living. If you want me to quote chapter and verse at you from RDA, I will.)

Woods wrote:What do you think of the word accompaniment in this context?

I think it's less accurate. "Accompaniment" has no formal definition in bibliographic work, but "accompanying material" does and it means something that is issued with a work to aid in interpreting it--like maps or charts kept folded in the pocket of a book, for instance, or a CD-ROM with statistical data.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-03-08, 21:08

linguoboy wrote:
Woods wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

You're literally describing an appendix.

(Quick reminder: Library work is actually what I do for a living. If you want me to quote chapter and verse at you from RDA, I will.)

That's very kind of you!

I'm not really sure what I should get from the article.

All right, so you mean that if you have a structure like:

part 1: one thing

chapter 1: 1st thing about part one
chapter 2: 2nd thing about part one

part 2: another thing

chapter 1: 1st thing about part two
chapter 2: 2nd thing about part two

and so on until chapter 7, and then you have another part containing:

paragraph 1: something related to part 3 chapter 2
paragraph 2: something related to part 4 chapter 3

then you easily call this an appendix, even though it's not a map, it's not an index, just some random stuff that didn't find its place in the parts and chapters?

linguoboy wrote:
Woods wrote:What do you think of the word accompaniment in this context?

I think it's less accurate. "Accompaniment" has no formal definition in bibliographic work, but "accompanying material" does and it means something that is issued with a work to aid in interpreting it--like maps or charts kept folded in the pocket of a book, for instance, or a CD-ROM with statistical data.

I need not be accurate - it's just the naming of the parts of a book so some degree if inexactitude is allowed. But yeah, from what you've said index fits better than accompaniment.

PS The less formal the better, it is not a scientific work.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-03-08, 22:21

Woods wrote:All right, so you mean that if you have a structure like:

part 1: one thing

chapter 1: 1st thing about part one
chapter 2: 2nd thing about part one

part 2: another thing

chapter 1: 1st thing about part two
chapter 2: 2nd thing about part two

and so on until chapter 7, and then you have another part containing:

paragraph 1: something related to part 3 chapter 2
paragraph 2: something related to part 4 chapter 3

then you easily call this an appendix, even though it's not a map, it's not an index, just some random stuff that didn't find its place in the parts and chapters?

Exactly. You would have a note in Pt 3 Ch. 2 saying something to the effect of "For more discussion of whizzbhang theory, see Appendix A: Whizzbhang Theory And You" or whatever. If the additional material is really so random that you can't even give it a coherent title like that, it could just be "Appendix to Part 3 Chapter 2", "Appendix to Part 4 Chapter 3", etc.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-03-13, 11:58

linguoboy wrote:You would have a note in Pt 3 Ch. 2 saying something to the effect of "For more discussion of whizzbhang theory, see Appendix A: Whizzbhang Theory And You" or whatever. If the additional material is really so random that you can't even give it a coherent title like that, it could just be "Appendix to Part 3 Chapter 2", "Appendix to Part 4 Chapter 3", etc.

It's going to be more like one Appendix that has remaining stuff from all other chapters, without references to or from it - rather it will be the place where you end up if you continue reading.

The only question that remains is, could there be a less formal word for Appendix?

I mean, would you really want to put this word in something which is not scientific, and is something between a practical guide, a self-help book and has elements of fiction?

Woods

Postby Woods » 2022-04-29, 13:57

"lightheartedly"

Could this word be used to describe the actions of someone who must have reacted much more seriously than they did, like for example a doctor taking important negative feedback from a patient without doing anything substantial about it, or is it mostly used for in more positive and cheerful contexts?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-04-29, 17:05

Woods wrote:"lightheartedly"

Could this word be used to describe the actions of someone who mustshould have reacted much more seriously than they did, like for example a doctor taking important negative feedback from a patient without doing anything substantial about it, or is it mostly used for in more positive and cheerful contexts?

The latter. It implies gaiety and good humour. If you want to be neutral, you could say "lightly". If you want to be more negative, you could say "dismissively".

Return to “English”