The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

linguoboy
Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-10, 15:50

france-eesti wrote:elseotherwise in my free time it's sport - clarinet - crosswords, wherease, when I was working at the office

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me likes to play Rummikub with their family.

Maybe? I had to look that up because the name wasn't familiar, but it looks remarkably similar to a tile-based rummy game I used to play with my family called "rummy jack". In fact, it may even be the same game with the minimum number of modifications necessary for Parker Brothers (or whoever) to claim no infringement.

The person after me has intelligent friends that they ask questions of when they're confused about politics.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-12-12, 9:04

I don't think politics and intelligence are really linked, for me political opinions aren't a question of intelligence, but of how you like to lead your life. If you care about the nature for example you can support an ecological party or side and you don't need to be a Nobel prize winner for that. I saw that when my daughter prepared her program for the cityhouse child elections - even children can have political opinions! So I don't really think I need someone clever to guide me in my political thinking.

The person after me is kind of awaiting Biden's arrival to see what he's up to.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-20, 13:39

Actually I have no expectations of Biden, whatever happens happens.

The person after me would change the political system of their country.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-12-25, 16:52

Some stuff I would, some stuff are too hard to understand for me... So I would humbly say I'm not up to the job :lol:

The person after me's late with the ironing.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-27, 1:42

france-eesti wrote:If you care about the nature for example you can support an ecological party or side and you don't need to be a Nobel prize winner for that. I saw that when my daughter prepared her program for the cityhouse child elections - even children can have political opinions!

ayuntamiento/ajuntament = city council (the magistrates) or town hall (the building)

Unless your municipality actually lets children vote, "child elections" sounds really odd in English. Are you talking about some kind of mock election staged by a schoolteacher?

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me would change the political system of their country.

It sounds odd to use "would" with counterfactual meaning outside the apodosis of a conditional sentence. I'm left wating for an "if" clause that never arrives.

france-eesti wrote:some stuff are

"Stuff" may have a collective meaning, but it takes a singular verb, like other mass nouns.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me's late with the ironing.

I would only use "late" in this context if I were talking about a delivery. Say you have a situation where someone picks up clothes to iron from their neighbours and then brings them back fully pressed. (This was once rather common.) If they promised you they'd have your shirts done by noon on Friday and they're not done by then, then they are "late with the ironing". But if someone just irons clothes for themselves or their own household and they haven't done it yet, I would say they're "behind in the ironing".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-29, 7:56

france-eesti wrote:The person after me's late with the ironing.

I have to admit I very rarely iron, and I only iron what I absolutely have to. Most of the family's clothes are folded and straight in drawers as soon as they come off the line or out of the tumblie. Saves lots of time and lifes are too short to iron :whistle:

The person after me should stop being lazy and do something productive.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2020-12-29, 13:25

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me should stop being lazy and do something productive.

No, I have only three weeks of vacation per year and this is one of them. I'm enjoying my laziness and not feeling bad about it.

The person after me is playing some particularly interesting video game these days.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2020-12-29, 15:21

No. We play the board game 'Die Siedler von Catan Junior' almost every day since my child got it as a birthday present.

The person after me hopes for snow on New Year's Eve.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-12-29, 18:14

tiuwiu wrote:Most of the family's clothes are folded and straight in drawers as soon as they come off the line or out of the tumblie.

I’ve never heard “tumblie” in English and I don’t know if that’s a tumble dryer, a centrifuge, or what.

I’m not sure how to parse the first sentence. Do you mean that the clothes get folded and go directly into drawers? Or is it a static description of clothes that are folded and lying orderly?

Saves lots of time and lives are too short to iron

This sounds really odd in the plural. The expression is “Life’s too short” regardless how many lives you’re talking about.

tiuwiu wrote:We’ve played/been playing the board game 'Die Siedler von Catan Junior' almost every day since my child got it as a birthday present.

Remember: English uses a perfect when “since” is involved.

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me hopes for snow on New Year's Eve.

I hope for snow soon, I don’t particularly care if it’s on NYE or not.

The person after me needs an interesting project to rouse them from their lethargy.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2021-01-07, 15:02

YES I DEFINITELY DO!!

The person after me will provide Linguoboy and I with nice ideas of cheerful, interesting and useful projects.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2021-01-08, 21:18

Unfortunately I'm not creative enough to provide one. :(

The person after me has got quite a few books about Turkic languages on their bookshelf.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Tobias

Postby Tobias » 2021-01-30, 15:37

No, not even one.

The person after me is looking forward to reading a handwriting letter by a good friend.
Please correct my mistakes - auch in Deutsch.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-01-31, 17:10

Tobias wrote:The person after me is looking forward to reading a handwritingten letter by from a good friend.

I’m actually feeling guilty because I owe a friend a handwritten letter and keep putting off writing it. Maybe I’ll finally get to it today.

The person after me needs some ambient noise because silence is unnerving.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2021-02-18, 16:07

Yes, I need a constant musical background, else I feel trapped and nervous...

The person after me once was a victim of romance scamming.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2021-02-19, 22:23

france-eesti wrote:The person after me once was a victim of romance scamming.

No, I usually don't fall for that kind of tricks. I did however have one person in real life who tried to take advantage of my feelings but that's a different story.

The person after me has a big collection of offensive or provocative songs on their device.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2021-06-14, 5:33

Not a big collection, but I have a few.

The person after me has an entire aquarium full of (common) catfish.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2021-06-14, 13:05

I never had an aquarium.

The person after me watches videos about cats.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-06-14, 20:25

Antea wrote:I never had an aquarium.

Since no past time frame was specified and this state of affairs continues to the present moment, "I've never had" sounds better here.

Antea wrote:The person after me watches videos about cats.

Rarely. I have my own live cat (nuzzling my calf as I type this) to watch.

The person after me is sick and tired of making their own meals.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2021-06-15, 6:13

NO! I really love to cook, try new dishes and new cooking techniques or create new recipes and experiment with ingredients or just discover new foods.

The person after me thinks that 'Batman' is a better name for a black rat than 'Lucifer'.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2021-06-21, 16:46

No, I think 'Lucifer' is the better choice :mrgreen:

The person after me has six fingers on one or both hands.

Return to “English”