The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Moderator: JackFrost

User avatar
Gormur
Posts: 8189
Joined: 2005-05-17, 1:11
Real Name: Gormur
Gender: male
Country: CU Cuba (Cuba)
Contact:

Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby Gormur » 2020-06-29, 17:57

I learned how to distinguish cot and caught or I guess you could say I learned how to produce another vowel quality

It's weird because I can only do it when the other person does it. If I'm reading and think about it I can produce that vowel as well. I'm like a vacuum of knowledge :lol: :)

I was curious how it looked on paper though so this helps me figure it out :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

tomari
Posts: 4
Joined: 2020-08-04, 6:08
Gender: male

Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby tomari » 2020-08-04, 6:22

OldBoring wrote:Usually, English [ɒ] sounds like [ɔ] to me, while [ɑ] sounds like [a] pronounced more open to me.
While English [ɔ] sounds like [o] to me.

Yeah, English /ɔ/ is way more close/rounded than the transcription suggests, at least in England and Australia (though there are exceptions in the UK, there are regions where it's an open vowel without much rounding).

User avatar
Rí.na.dTeangacha
Posts: 202
Joined: 2020-12-31, 20:24
Gender: male
Location: Baile Átha Cliath, Éire
Country: IE Ireland (Éire / Ireland)

Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-05-12, 12:46

Am I the only one who pronounces "assignee" as /asɪg'n:i:/ rather than /asai'ni:/ ? I pronounce all related words ( "assign", "assignment" etc... ) with the /ai/ diphthong, but I've always thought "assignee" was an exception. But now I'm hearing and seeing everyone say /asai'ni:/.
(pt-br)(ga)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

Linguaphile
Posts: 3483
Joined: 2016-09-17, 5:06

Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-05-12, 13:48

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:Am I the only one who pronounces "assignee" as /asɪg'n:i:/ rather than /asai'ni:/ ? I pronounce all related words ( "assign", "assignment" etc... ) with the /ai/ diphthong, but I've always thought "assignee" was an exception. But now I'm hearing and seeing everyone say /asai'ni:/.

I say /əsaɪ'ni:/, but we do say /dɛzɪɡ'ni:/ for "designee" so there's certainly a lot of logic to your pronunciation. "Assign" and "design" are pronounced with the same ending but "designee" comes from "designate", which has a different sound, so "assignee" and "designee" do not rhyme. It's a great example of how English can be strange.

User avatar
Rí.na.dTeangacha
Posts: 202
Joined: 2020-12-31, 20:24
Gender: male
Location: Baile Átha Cliath, Éire
Country: IE Ireland (Éire / Ireland)

Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-05-12, 14:24

Linguaphile wrote:I say /əsaɪ'ni:/, but we do say /dɛzɪɡ'ni:/ for "designee" so there's certainly a lot of logic to your pronunciation. "Assign" and "design" are pronounced with the same ending but "designee" comes from "designate", which has a different sound, so "assignee" and "designee" do not rhyme. It's a great example of how English can be strange.


I'm wondering where my pronunciation comes from now though. I don't think it's a spelling pronunciation (or at least, not on my part), as I've always known that it was spelled in accordance with its relationship to the word "assign", I literally thought of it as a quirky exception, but it seems there is no actual exception other than one I imagined (or perhaps internalised from someone else who did actually mispronounce it based on the spelling).
(pt-br)(ga)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

Linguaphile
Posts: 3483
Joined: 2016-09-17, 5:06

Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-05-12, 14:38

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:I say /əsaɪ'ni:/, but we do say /dɛzɪɡ'ni:/ for "designee" so there's certainly a lot of logic to your pronunciation. "Assign" and "design" are pronounced with the same ending but "designee" comes from "designate", which has a different sound, so "assignee" and "designee" do not rhyme. It's a great example of how English can be strange.


I'm wondering where my pronunciation comes from now though. I don't think it's a spelling pronunciation (or at least, not on my part), as I've always known that it was spelled in accordance with its relationship to the word "assign", I literally thought of it as a quirky exception, but it seems there is no actual exception other than one I imagined (or perhaps internalised from someone else who did actually mispronounce it based on the spelling).

I figured it was probably by analogy with "designee". I guess that would make it a "spelling pronunciation" but I could see it coming from comparison with the other word, even subconsciously, rather than technically from the spelling. I mean in addition to spelling the words "designee" and "assignee" even have similar meanings so it would really make sense to expect them to have similar pronunciations. Not saying that was necessarily true in your case but it was my first thought when I saw your post.

User avatar
Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 6803
Joined: 2010-05-30, 0:06
Real Name: Matthew
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: The How do you Pronounce X Thread

Postby Dormouse559 » 2021-05-12, 14:54

Linguaphile wrote:
Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:I'm wondering where my pronunciation comes from now though. I don't think it's a spelling pronunciation (or at least, not on my part), as I've always known that it was spelled in accordance with its relationship to the word "assign", I literally thought of it as a quirky exception, but it seems there is no actual exception other than one I imagined (or perhaps internalised from someone else who did actually mispronounce it based on the spelling).

I figured it was probably by analogy with "designee". I guess that would make it a "spelling pronunciation" but I could see it coming from comparison with the other word, even subconsciously, rather than technically from the spelling. I mean in addition to spelling the words "designee" and "assignee" even have similar meanings so it would really make sense to expect them to have similar pronunciations. Not saying that was necessarily true in your case but it was my first thought when I saw your post.

There is also "assignation". Interestingly, Merriam-Webster and Oxford list /ˌæsəˈniː/ or /ˌæsɪˈniː/ (no /g/) first in their pronunciations. I feel as if I may be more likely to say /əˌsaɪ̯ˈniː/. But /ˌæsɪgˈniː/ would probably cross my mind, and I'd accept the pronunciation if someone else used it.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.


Return to “English”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest