The person after me game (2)

Moderator: JackFrost

Osias

Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby Osias » 2019-12-01, 17:50

Quite the opposite, I can't help but to always try to explain "no, it's not an allergy".

The person after me and my family are going to my Christmas celebration.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-12-01, 18:13

Actually I would be rather curious to join a Brazilian Christmas celebration! So send me the tickets and I'll hop on a plane and be right there with a bunch of oysters, a bottle of dry white wine and other French stuff people use to eat at Christmas.

The person after me said a big no-no to the oysters but asked for snails with garlic instead.

PS to English speakers - shall I say "dry white wine" or "white dry wine"? I never know what's the rule with colour adjectives...
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-12-01, 19:22

No way! I'll take the oysters.

The person after me wants to pet a hedgehog.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-01, 20:23

france-eesti wrote:Actually I would be rather curious to join a Brazilian Christmas celebration!

It'll have roughly the same food we eat on other celebrations, except with raisins on/in everything.

france-eesti wrote:oysters

I've never had those, I think it tastes like sururu. We'll probably serve them with rice. And raisins.

france-eesti wrote:"dry white wine" or "white dry wine"?
I'd bet "dry white wine", maybe because I see "white wine" as a thing in itself, like white chocolate.

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me wants to pet a hedgehog.
It wouldn't be much different from petting my white cat, except her teeth instead of spikes.

The person after me did pet a hedgehog once.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2019-12-01, 23:32

tiuwiu wrote:My siblings and I will give my mother a new mobile phone because her phone is really old and WhatsApp has explained that it will stop its support for older phones.

france-eesti wrote:Actually I would be rather curious to join a Brazilian Christmas celebration! So send me the tickets and I'll hop on a plane and be right there with a bunch of oysters, a bottle of dry white wine and other French stuff people use to usually eat at Christmas.

Unless you meant "used to", that is, that something happened in the past but no longer does.

Osias wrote:
france-eesti wrote:"dry white wine" or "white dry wine"?
I'd bet "dry white wine", maybe because I see "white wine" as a thing in itself, like white chocolate.

"Dry white wine" is correct. Like Osias says, "white wine" is a unit, so it isn't normally split up by modifiers.

Osias wrote:It wouldn't be much different from petting my white cat, except her she has teeth instead of spikes.

Osias wrote:The person after me did pet a hedgehog once.

I don't think so. But they look so adorable! Count me in.

The person after me is the best cook in their family.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-02, 1:10

I'm too lazy for that.

The person after me can use the force.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-12-02, 11:03

Sadly, I received habilitation only for using the Dark side of the force... But I'll keep applying to be able to use the Good Side too! :P

The person after me will replace my Pilates instructor today.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-12-02, 15:42

Sure, even though it'll probably end up more like a kick boxing training session.

The person after me thinks that watching sports is better than doing it.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-12-02, 17:01

Ah no, I hate watching sports! It's really so boring!

The person after me thinks listening to music is better than playing music.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-12-02, 21:38

france-eesti wrote:The person after me said a big no-no to the oysters but asked for snails with garlic instead.

Dormouse559 let this stand, so maybe our usage differs here, but IMD you can't use "no-no" like that. It's a noun derived from babytalk and means "something forbidden". Like you could say, "Eating raw oysters while you're pregnant is a big no-no", meaning it's something you shouldn't do. But in this context I could only say "said a big 'no' to" (with variants like "a big 'no thanks'", "a big 'nope'", etc.).

france-eesti wrote:Sadly, I received a habilitation only forin using the Dark side of the force...

I'm assuming you're using "habilitation" in the technical sense it's used in European tertiary education because that's the only context I've really seen it used in English. Otherwise you need to use a different word entirely like "authorisation" or "certification".

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me thinks that watching sports is better than doing itplaying them.

"Sports" is plural in English and requires plural agreement. This sentence:
france-eesti wrote:Ah no, I hate watching sports! It's really so boring!
is fine because the "it" here is understood as referring back to "watching sports", which is singular.

france-eesti wrote:The person after me thinks listening to music is better than playing music.

I don't know how to play music so it's really a moot question for me.

The person after me will delay leaving a space with recorded music playing just to avoid cutting off a song before the end.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-02, 23:40

It depends on the song.

The person after me doesn't want to see a ghost.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-12-03, 11:11

@linguoboy: Thanks for the corrections!

@Osias: I would like that very much on the contrary! I would love to meet the Grey Lady :D

The person after me will set me on a date with the Bloody Baron but not out of nastiness, just because they're partly deaf and didn't understand my request.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-03, 14:28

I'm not sure what your original request could possibly be.

The game is hard, but the person after me has travelled a long way from Beauxbatons to give up now.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2019-12-03, 16:00

After J. K. R. said that Beauxbatons is located near Cannes I only need about 10-12 flight hours to the academy.
But I still haven't received my acceptance letter yet :( So either I'm a Squib or they know that I don't speak french.

The person after me enjoys taking candies from little children.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-12-03, 16:09

france-eesti wrote:The person after me will set me up on a date with the Bloody Baron

Also simply "set me up with".

Osias wrote:The game is hard, but the person after me has travelled a long way from Beauxbatons to give up now.

Awkward. The usual phrasing would be something like "a long way from Beauxbatons and isn't about to give up now". You could also say "too far to give up now" but trying to combine the two as "too far from Beauxbatons to give up now" doesn't quite sound right. It would have to be "a long way from Beauxbatons and that's too far to give up now".
Last edited by linguoboy on 2019-12-03, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-03, 16:11

tiuwiu wrote:After J. K. R. said that Beauxbatons is located near Cannes I only need about 10-12 flight hours to the academy.
But I still haven't received my acceptance letter yet :( So either I'm a Squib or they know that I don't speak french.

The person after me enjoys taking candies from little children.

Too much sugar for me.

The person after me fears another hyperinflation.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-12-03, 16:17

Osias wrote:The person after me fears another bout of hyperinflation.

"Hyperinflation" is uncountable in English.

Historically we've had more of a problem in the USA with deflation than inflation. I'm more worried about a period of stagflation.

The person after me lives debt-free.

awrui

Postby awrui » 2019-12-03, 17:39

Yes! While everyone else around me has a huge student debt, I avoided that by many years of poverty and hunger, and smart choice of subjects that lead to scholarships and ended up getting me headhunted for jobs.

The person after me ownes a boat.
Last edited by awrui on 2019-12-03, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-12-03, 19:01

A boat? Hum no, I own a car, a bike and a scooter, which is hugely enough :D I'm wondering whether I should sell the scooter by the way :whistle:

The person after me thinks I should sell it!

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-03, 21:09

I don't. You wouldn't get much. You won't able to buy a kilogram of meat with the money these days.

The person after me will tell me my joke only works on Brazil.

Return to “English”