Discussion Group

Moderator: JackFrost

Prowler

Re: Discussion Group

Postby Prowler » 2019-05-12, 16:52

I've been noticing a lot of native English speakers online saying thinks like "would of been" and "could of been". I also notice a lot of people say "funnily enough" and "should have went". I didn't start to notice such things until the least few years, tbh. And some people don't seem to know how to conjugate "bias" either. They say "I'm bias" instead of "I'm biased".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-05-13, 14:30

Prowler wrote:I've been noticing a lot of native English speakers online saying thinks like "would of been" and "could of been".

This particular reanalysis has been around since at least the 18th century, stemming from the homophony of 've and unstressed of (both [əv]).

Prowler wrote:I also notice a lot of people say "funnily enough"

What do you find odd about this?

Prowler wrote:and "should have went". I didn't start to notice such things until the least few years, tbh.

More idiomatic: "I've only started noticing such things within the last few years."

Prowler wrote:And some people don't seem to know how to conjugate "bias" either. They say "I'm bias" instead of "I'm biased".

Most people don't use the corresponding verb; they know bias(ed) only as an adjective. Both cluster simiplification of final /st/ and related hypercorrection of final /s/ to /st/ are common in spoken English. (The roofers who did our condo reanalysed joist as joice and pluralised it joices.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2019-05-13, 19:39

Well I always write "funny enough" and notice most people do it as well, so it just seems wrong to see "funnily enough" instead, but maybe both forms are correct? Although perhaps one time or another it slipped and I wrote "funnily enough" without realising it?

I also notice Americans and Canadians say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" like the Brits do. "Couldn't care less" seems to make more sense to me, so I use that version.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-05-13, 19:53

Prowler wrote:Well I always write "funny enough" and notice most people do it as well, so it just seems wrong to see "funnily enough" instead, but maybe both forms are correct? Although perhaps one time or another it slipped and I wrote "funnily enough" without realising it?

For me, "funny enough" is the variant which sounds wrong. Enough is an adverb. Only adverbs can modify other adverbs and funny is not an adverb in my speech. Maybe people think of it this way because of expressions like "sounds funny" and "looks funny", but those are predicate uses.

Prowler wrote:I also notice Americans and Canadians say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" like the Brits do. "Couldn't care less" seems to make more sense to me, so I use that version.

To me "could care less" is simply an idiom whose internal grammatical structure is irrelevant.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguist

Postby Linguist » 2019-05-26, 15:44

What exactly is the difference between
- serpent
- viper
- snake
?
[ownflag=]http://www.nationalflaggen.de/media/flags/flagge-heiliges-roemisches-reich-ab-1400.gif[/ownflag] Die anderen tugende sind einwiht, und ist dâ bî diu stæte niht.

Return to “English”