Please explain me.

Moderator:JackFrost

Perceptor
Re: Please explain me.

Postby Perceptor » 2017-03-08, 12:37

Hi. I have another question for you :) There's the link of the one fragment from some film. I had tried to make these words out but couldn't do it. What can you tell me about that? Here's the video

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-08, 14:36

"You know I have such trouble with my teeth in cold weather. They just won't stop chattering. Ha ha ha ha!"
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Please explain to me.

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-10, 5:45

linguoboy wrote:
Perceptor wrote:I found it in a Onerepublic's song "Secrets'. I took that fragment from this song's part:
"This time don't need another perfect lie
Don't care if critics ever jump in line
I'm gonna give all my secrets away"

Hmm...maybe he means "fall into line"? That's a metaphor from Army service, where it means to line up shoulder to shoulder for inspection. The line is supposed to be perfectly straight, so it used in extended sense to mean "share the same opinion". Cf. "toe the line".

Other interpretations, anyone?

Maybe it means something like "I don't care if critics ever jump on the opportunity to criticize me one after the other."

Perceptor

Postby Perceptor » 2017-11-22, 8:43

Thank you! I need another help with this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLJ-TaubR48
There's one beautiful song but i couldn't find anything about it (i mean the text or smth else. Only performers and the title). I assumed an exemplary option of this text. May you listen to it and correct any mistakes that you can find?) Thanks.

My option:
It's an empty space that stands beside me now
Am i looking for someone that I just can’t find
Cause all i do is think about you now
It got as lonely without you - as I travel tonight
It's been too long to live this way,
I can't help, but just count down the days
Till I'm there with you, coming back to you
-
So baby leave the light on
To help me find my way home
When I'm half a world away
And when the darkest spark was gone
To lead me to your door
You were guarding light for my return
To find the place where I belong
-
The loneliness lays heavy as I drive
I'm thinking only of someone
And that someone is you
So that endless rod that leads me to your side
Won't break me this evening
Cause I'm gonna get through
I hear your voice calling me back home
I can't rest knowing you're alone
Till I'm there with you
Coming back to you

LifeDeath

Postby LifeDeath » 2017-11-23, 6:11

I already asked about one sentence but then removed it cause you said you were going to ask about the whole song, huh.

Perceptor

Postby Perceptor » 2017-12-12, 18:13

it seems i found 2 mistakes on that: "Am i looking for someone that I just can’t find keep in mind" and "when the darkest spark was is gone". May you tell me something about it?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-02, 5:22

You're better at understanding song lyrics in English than I am. :P I think "am I looking for someone that I just can't find" is right. "Just keep in mind" doesn't really make sense in this context; that would mean "just remember."
vijayjohn wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Perceptor wrote:I found it in a Onerepublic's song "Secrets'. I took that fragment from this song's part:
"This time don't need another perfect lie
Don't care if critics ever jump in line
I'm gonna give all my secrets away"

Hmm...maybe he means "fall into line"? That's a metaphor from Army service, where it means to line up shoulder to shoulder for inspection. The line is supposed to be perfectly straight, so it used in extended sense to mean "share the same opinion". Cf. "toe the line".

Other interpretations, anyone?

Maybe it means something like "I don't care if critics ever jump on the opportunity to criticize me one after the other."

Another interpretation I thought of, closer to what linguoboy said, was something like: "I don't care if critics ever rush to support me."
Perceptor wrote:Thank you! I need another help

"Help" isn't countable in English, so you'd have to say something like "I need (some) help again..."
with this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLJ-TaubR48
There's one It's a beautiful song, but i I couldn't find anything about it

Remember that the word "I" is always capitalized in English. I think I might say "find anything related to it" (rather than "find anything about it"), but I don't think "about" is necessarily wrong per se.
(i I mean the text lyrics or smth anything else. Only performers and the title).

I'd rewrite what you wrote like this:

"I couldn't find anything related to it (I mean the lyrics or anything else), only the (names of the) performers and the title."
I assumed an exemplary option of this text.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Maybe you mean "I tried to write out the lyrics"?
May Could you listen to it and correct any mistakes that you can find?) Thanks.

Asking a question that begins with "may" usually implies that you're asking for permission to do something AFAICT, but here, you're asking for a favor instead. "Could" would be more appropriate here ("can" also works but is slightly less polite/more informal).
My option:

"Option" doesn't work here. I'd say "attempt."

Considering that the title of the song is "Leave a light on," I think it might actually be "So baby, leave a light on." :P
So that this endless road that leads me to your side

Perceptor

Postby Perceptor » 2018-02-09, 16:12

Thanks. I listened to another song and I heard a strange sentence. "If I am knowing what you did", is it correct? "Knowing"? Is it correct in progressive? Maybe I heard it wrong. Could you tell me what it is in this song at 1:55?
https://youtu.be/cu6HS0RvtPo

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-02-09, 17:10

You misheard him. He's saying, "without knowing what you did".
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Perceptor

Postby Perceptor » 2018-02-16, 19:18

Could you also help me. The phrase at 2:15 in the same song. I hear "if you run this with yourself". Correct? What does it mean?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-02-21, 6:03

Perceptor wrote:Could you also help me. The phrase at 2:15 in the same song. I hear "if you run this with yourself". Correct? What does it mean?
He says, "If you're honest with yourself," meaning "If you face the truth".

Perceptor

Postby Perceptor » 2018-02-21, 17:31

Thank you! The last moments that I don't understand are at 1:59-2:06 and at 2:54-3:08. My attempts: 1) We're falling to each other, it just stays ..?.. years. 2)I'm washing my hands ...?(walled it out)?... as(cause) i('ll) wait for you to finally fugure it out. I really appreciate any help you can provide!

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-02-21, 18:29

Perceptor wrote:Thank you! The last moments that I don't understand are at 1:59-2:06 and at 2:54-3:08. My attempts: 1) We're falling to each other, it just stays ..?.. years.
"We fall into each other. It just is what it is."

"Fall into each other" is a poetic turn of phrase. It's open to interpretation, but it reminds me of "fall in love". Also, other things one falls into are water and bed, so the sentence gives a sense of envelopment and comfort.

"It is what it is" is an idiom for when something is difficult to describe. It can also mean resignation to a misfortune, but that meaning doesn't fit as well in this context.

2)I'm washing my hands ...?(walled it out)?... as(cause) i('ll) wait for you to finally fugure it out.
"I'm washing my hands of all the doubt, 'cause I'll wait for you to finally figure it out."

Perceptor

Postby Perceptor » 2018-04-02, 12:30

Hi! In one song I saw this "I love beyond the bones" can you explain to me what it means?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-04-03, 13:49

I think the song writer (or songwriter?) was trying to create a hyperbole of the expression "I love X to the bones".
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-03, 14:38

"songwriter"

Well, this is a Eurovision song performed by a Bulgarian band, so I wouldn't try too hard to interpret what they are were going for. The next line is "Goes deep inside your soul" so I think the hyperbole is that their love doesn't stop at the bones but goes to some even deeper, non-physical place.

The point is, this isn't a fixed expression in English and native English-speakers would be puzzled by it as well.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Perceptor

Postby Perceptor » 2018-04-15, 17:14

Thank you! What is the difference between "Where are you?" and "Where are you at?" and in which situations i should use the second?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-15, 22:01

Perceptor wrote:Thank you! What is the difference between "Where are you?" and "Where are you at?" and in which situations i should use the second?

The first expression is standard.

The second ("Where are you at?") is used regionally. A strict prescriptivist would tell you not to use it at all. I would say that, if you do use it, keep in mind that it sounds more casual than "Where are you?" and might sound jarring in some contexts. (For instance, if your idiolect is mainly based on standard British Usage.)

I might mention a third version: "Where you at?" It originates with AAVE and is highly stigmatised in most contexts.

Perceptor

Postby Perceptor » 2018-04-18, 14:49

Thanks! I need some help again. What phrases did he say at 0:12-0:25? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... QvteoFiMlg This is my option: "It would be better if you gained nothing at all. This album is blasted. I can't sell this. You're rapping about homosexuals and (as) [...] I can't (sell this shit/cancel this). (You either /you'd rather) change the record (or it's/boards) not coming out." I couldn't dig up anything about it in the internet.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-04-18, 15:36

Perceptor wrote:Thanks! I need some help again. What phrases did he say at 0:12-0:25? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... QvteoFiMlg This is my option: "It would be better if you gained nothing at all. This album is blasted. I can't sell this. You're rapping about homosexuals and (as) [...] I can't (sell this shit/cancel this). (You either /you'd rather) change the record (or it's/boards) not coming out." I couldn't dig up anything about it in on the internet.

"It would be better if you gave me nothing at all. This album is less than nothing. I can't sell this. You're rapping about homosexuals and Vicodin, and I can't sell this shit. Either change the record, or it's not coming out."

Note that "shit" is censored, so he only technically says "sh". Also, I hear him saying something a moment before "either", but it just sounds like a W sound to me; I can't make out a full word.

Return to “English”