Jokes about other nations

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Kuba

Postby Kuba » 2007-01-27, 13:32

allemaalmeezinge wrote:are there more jokes between Austrians and Hungarians (or among other ex-members of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) ?
I am very interested!

I don't know... Most "jokes" are anecdotes about well-known families, aristocrates (especially the Habsburgs), some Jewish jokes and jokes about the administration and the bureaucrats. There's definitly a strong Jewish influence in the anecdotes passed to us - the main collectors of them and authors of books about them were Jewish. Maybe because the Jews had a *relatively* good time in the Austro-Hungarian Empire (especially compared to the situation in the Russian Empire). Nearly all other people were not satisfied with it in the end phase, so only the Jews thought it worth of looking back at it.
The most known author is Friedrich Torberg - his books are really good. Not only was he a congenial translator of Kishon, he also wrote history with his work "Der Schüler Gerber" and wrote two cult-books: "Die Tante Jolesch oder der Untergang des Abendlands in Anekdoten", "Die Erben der Tante Jolesch" and "Kaffeehaus ist überall", which deal with the fall of the Empire.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2007-01-27, 15:37

Of course it is a bit too much about Hungarian pride, but I still find it funny. And intelligent. ... as for that poem

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2007-01-28, 2:16

BloodOrange wrote:Lithuanians as usual make jokes about Latvians and Estonians. And I suppose our neighbours do the same :) But I've always wondered why do Latvians get so offended when hear the phrase "zirgo galva". can somebody explain me what's so offensive about this phrase?

Nothing, a Lithuanian actress, who lives and works in Latvia, made it common knowlege that Lithuanians call Latvians horse heads, is that true and if so why ?

Latvian newspapers and magazines seem to import jokes translated from English and Russian, so it's hard to tell which really are Latvian, but we have jokes about Americans, English, French, Germans, Estonians, Jews, Russians and Chukchi.

Evil Weasel

Postby Evil Weasel » 2007-01-28, 5:42

Toronto (except Scarborough) ---> Scarborough
Ottawa <----> Toronto
*English*
Français (Used every day)
Cymraeg (Embarrassing)
Gaelg (Worse than embarrassing)
Gaidhlig (So atrociously awful it's comical)

Haven't learned but understand tidbits of: Cornish, Irish, Breton, Gaulish, Romance languages (esp. Occitan, Spanish, Italian, langues d'oeil).

Bokkjen

Postby Bokkjen » 2007-01-30, 19:24

This is a joke about Finns (though it exists in many other version)

+15 'C / 59 'F
This is as warm as it gets in Finland, so we'll start here. People in Spain wear winter-coats and gloves. The Finns are out in the sun,getting a tan.

+10 'C / 50 'F
The French are trying in vain to start their central heating. The Finns plant flowers in their gardens.

+5 'C / 41 'F
Italian cars won't start, The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.

0 'C / 32 'F
Distilled water freezes. The water in Vantaa river (in Finland) gets a little thicker.

-5 'C / 23 'F
People in California almost freeze to death. The Finns have their final barbecue before winter.

-10 'C / 14 'F
The Brits start the heat in their houses. The Finns start using long sleeves.

-20 'C / -4 'F
The Aussies flee from Mallorca. The Finns end their Midsummer celebrations. Autumn is here.

-30 'C / -22 'F
People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth. The Finns start drying their laundry indoors.

-40 'C / -40 'F
Paris starts cracking in the cold. The Finns stand in line at the hotdog stands.

-50 'C / -58 'F
Polar bears start evacuating the North Pole. The Finnish army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.

-60 'C / -76 'F
Korvatunturi (the home for Santa Claus) freezes. The Finns rent a movie and stay indoors.

-70 'C / -94 'F
The false Santa moves south. The Finns get frustrated since they can't store their Kossu (Koskenkorva vodka) outdoors. The Finnish army goes out on winter survival training.

-183 'C / -297.4 'F
Microbes in food don't survive. The Finnish cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.

-273 'C / -459.4 'F
ALL atom-based movent halts. The Finns start saying "Perkele, it's cold outside today."

-300 'C / -508 'F
Hell freezes over, Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest

Now this joke is completley ruined (gee thanks a lot Lordi :x)
So now, everytime someone complains about it being cold the first respond is;
"The Finns made hell freeze over" :lol:

darkina

Postby darkina » 2007-02-01, 0:03

The Austrohungarian poem mentions Verona :lol::D

As for Finnish, when I went there I heard someone saying that you're a real Finn if minus 20 outdoors is too hot but plus 40 indoors is too cold :P (inspired by overheating in houses, but I find that typical of cold places...thank god :lol:)

oh my, this one is so funny:

Why do Danish people never play hide and seek?
- Nobody wants to look for them.
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

azhong

Re: Jokes about other nations

Postby azhong » 2022-02-23, 6:13

► Show Spoiler

Hi, vbhumoik907, nice to meet you, anyway, to begin with.

It's obvious you are having improper posts, again maybe, in a different account.

However, I find one thing very interesting that you seem obey a manner: you do not pollute active threads.

Courious to ask, are you doing this on revenge because you ever received some unfair treatments once when you came as a language learner?

Zhong from Taiwan, Asia.
Last edited by Car on 2022-02-24, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam deleted

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-25, 14:48

I'm not sure whether anyone told you this, but this is just a spammer and possibly a robot, not necessarily even a human being. In all honesty, probably most of the listed users of this forum are spammers but never post anything at all. Sudden attacks of spam like this are unfortunately pretty common on UniLang; if you stick around long enough, you will see them frequently. Accounts that spam the forum like this do not participate on the forum in any other way, in my experience.

All you can really do when a spammer attacks like this is to try to report one of the posts by clicking on the "!" button (at the top-right corner of the post). If someone has already reported that specific post, you will get a notice telling you so. I personally click on that button for all posts by such spammers to make sure no one else has already reported them. By now, the spam has been removed (including from your post where you quoted the spammer).

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-02-26, 1:53

vijayjohn wrote:I'm not sure whether anyone told you this, but this is just a spammer and possibly a robot, not necessarily even a human being. In all honesty, probably most of the listed users of this forum are spammers but never post anything at all. Sudden attacks of spam like this are unfortunately pretty common on UniLang; if you stick around long enough, you will see them frequently. Accounts that spam the forum like this do not participate on the forum in any other way, in my experience.

All you can really do when a spammer attacks like this is to try to report one of the posts by clicking on the "!" button (at the top-right corner of the post). If someone has already reported that specific post, you will get a notice telling you so. I personally click on that button for all posts by such spammers to make sure no one else has already reported them. By now, the spam has been removed (including from your post where you quoted the spammer).

Yeah, thank you for telling, Vijaya. I reported once, too. I didn't report this time; I guess only one report is necessary and then their account as well as all their posts will be removed clearly.

Although what you have explained to me was also one of my conjectures, I was ready to waste a bit of my time and I coped with it based on the other conjecture: He might be a real human and was doing this with anger regarding my observation mentioned in my reply to them and also regarding the website being not so widely known obscure. I hope they can feel my friendship if they are a human, to balancing their possible hatred. It doesn't hurt, anyway, if them are just a robot. :D (Even so, there might possibly a real man monitoring the robot.)

BTW, do me a favor pls: What's the difficult word you have used last time when you said the website is "little known"/ "not widely known"? It seems not "obscure". Thank you.

Edit: it's "obscure" exactly. ^_^

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-27, 1:30

azhong wrote:Yeah, thank you for telling, Vijaya. I reported once, too.

I'd say, "...for telling me, Vijaya. I reported a post once, too."
I didn't report this time; I guess only one report is necessary and then their account as well as all their posts will be removed clearly.

If, by "clearly," you meant "obviously," I'd probably say "their posts will clearly be removed."
BTW, do me a favor pls: What's the difficult word you have used last time when you said the website is "little known"/ "not widely known"? It seems not "obscure". Thank you.

I think I'd say, "What's the difficult word you used the last time you said..."?

Perhaps the word you mean is "niche"?

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-02-27, 3:10

Thank you, Vijaya.

I tried to recall the word you used in your post. Last time I learned "succinct" from you. I checked it later yesterday and it was "obscure".
► Show Spoiler

Of course, thank you for "niche". A word I've never used. Also, what I wanted to say is "will be removed totally/completely/clear." I need to review the group of words in English that have two different adverbs, with and without "-ly".

Thank you again.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-27, 3:22

Thank you, too! :)
azhong wrote:Also, what I wanted to say is "will be removed totally/completely/clear." I need to review the group of words in English that have two different adverbs, with and without "-ly".

Ah, okay, clearly and clear don't mean the same thing as totally or completely. I would say will be completely removed. (Will be totally removed is also fine).

Return to “Culture”