DOs and DON'Ts in your countries

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-29, 21:39

ekalin wrote:I believe it is like this in the whole Europe. (except Portugal, isn't it, Luís )

Well, I don't know how it works in ALL of Europe :-)
But generally, up North, people are more punctual, while in the South (not just Portugal) it's not as strict, though here we're getting more punctual gradually (don't know if that's good or not :wink: )
Last edited by Luís on 2003-01-29, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

NulNuk

Postby NulNuk » 2003-01-30, 20:01

NulNuk cant never get on time ,there is a NulKian law that say that
NulKians are alaw to get not-on time !!! :0}
Every thing I write, wrote, or will write, its in my own opinion, for I have no other.
Release me from the duty of being polite and remind you, "I made use of my own brain".

anne2

Postby anne2 » 2003-02-03, 8:44

In the name of the hot countries. I'd say that citizens of tropical countries are not that punctual. Even though we all know it is a very bad habit.

Do you think 'ALL THESE' are because of the weather?

People of the cold countries are always on time, because they have to be ALERT :shock: . Look at them when they're standing, waiting for a bus in a cold winter morning.

People of the hot countries are kind of EASY GOING for everything. Because the cold is not painful. Some bosses (interviewers) are even later than the interviewees. :shock:

What do you do when it's hot?
- my answer will be 'Lie down and take it easy'.

Lyle

Postby Lyle » 2003-02-06, 5:14

Nong Anne, I think not being punctual has nothing to do with the weather. Weather in Japan and China are almost the same. But Japanese are very punctual and Chinese are not ;p

Agreed with you that this is a bad habit and it's not easy to correct it.

If you have a chance to attend Chinese wedding dinner, you will see what I mean. Even though it's stated in the invitation card that the dinner starts at 7pm, but the food will only be served after 8pm and the dinner normally ends at 10pm. This is because most of the guests come after 8pm. Ridiculous huh? :evil: That's why I hate attending this kind of wedding dinner.

Like Anne said, the organiser of a meeting always comes later than those who have been invited. What a shame!

For me, I try to be earlier than the appointment time, and I always have a book in my bag, I will read it while I am waiting.

My time can only be wasted by myself not the rest :lol:

:wink:
天上的星星为何像人群一般地拥挤?
地上的人儿为何像星星一样地疏远?

anne2

Postby anne2 » 2003-02-06, 7:36

I think this applies easily with every party or ceremony which vietnamese community organize here. Because vietnamese culture is 80% based on chinese, AND.... being french ex-colony has even strengthened the situation, they (french) even taught them (vietnamese) how to do the most popular and the most willing-2-do national activity of "ngủ trưa" (ngủ=sleep trưa=noon, or "faire la sieste" in French) :shock: .

:wink: I'm very glad to announce that we are lazy :wink:

Long Live *yawn* Laziness!

Weldal

Doing things in the last day

Postby Weldal » 2003-02-06, 22:32

Lyle wrote:For me, I try to be earlier than the appointment time, and I always have a book in my bag, I will read it while I am waiting.

I also like to read while waiting, for instance, in the cinema, when the lights are still on, while waiting to see the movie...
But not always, I mean, not in all situations, this is possible... :roll:
Another time related bad habit here in Brazil: if there is a dead line for anything, most people always do this thing in the last day. If this is something to be done by Internet, for instance, one has serious problems, because in the last day there is a real "traffic jam" in the net... :roll:

Lyle

Postby Lyle » 2003-02-07, 7:39

Nong Anne, I used to ngủ trưa during my Uni time. I always took a nap before I went for my Japanese class which started at 5pm. And most of my coursemates did that too :lol: The best part was our teacher could tell that his students took a nap before attending his class :lol:

Danny, I have never heard that someone would be offended if we are earlier than he/she is. That sounds interesting for me :twisted:

Poor birds (I guess most of them are pigeons) :cry: and cruel Invernessese :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What you mentioned about Singapore is correct. But I don't know if they fine foreigners too :? I think they shouldn't fine me for chewing gum as I always wrap it with a piece of paper before I throw it :wink:

Weldal, doing things in the last minute happens everywhere. Remember our school time, we used to summit assignments just before the deadline. That's normal even though it's risky :lol:

:wink:
天上的星星为何像人群一般地拥挤?

地上的人儿为何像星星一样地疏远?

Kat

Postby Kat » 2003-09-20, 13:24

I'm from england, which is probably one of the most liberal countries in the world, but there are still some dos and don'ts....
DO:
shake hands when greeting adults
greet girls with a kiss or one cheek (usually right) wheras boys usually just nod or maybe shake hands or do that american huggy thing, you know where they clasp hands in the middle and hug and slap each others backs
always smile when taking to shop assistants, waitors etc. it is very rude not to
always please and thank you

DON'T
drop by unexpected, always call or text them before hand - many Londoners won't answer the door to unexpected visitors

Actually that's all I can think of for now....

Nulnuk I think you have a very unfair view of Brits and European girls.... touching a boy means nothing in England and it is very easy to forget when you go to another country, for example I went to Amman (Jordan) and kissed a boy on the cheek as a habit, and he thought that I liked him, whereas to me it is just a friendly gesture. We are not slutty, just different to girls from your country.

Love Kat xxxx

Starian

Postby Starian » 2003-09-25, 22:32

Hi there ya guys!, how you doing?

First I’ll talk about Venezuela, then I’ll make my comments on posted comments.

In Venezuela you can:
· Stare at people as much as you want. (They won’t freak out, nor think they’re being threatened, no no no no things like that in Venezuela.) (What they can think it’s that you found them cute hehe :lol:). Also you can choose whether you look someone into the eyes or not while talking to them.
· Between guys: shake hands, give a hug, and even (sometimes) grab the other’s ass (without being HYPER SUPER MEGA close friends). It’s seen as normal. It’s better if guys don’t kiss each other. Not even on the cheek. That will be seen as gay, and we’re not used to gay “shows”. Although here we respect a lot, the other cultures, so if you’re Italian or Portuguese or whatever-ish, you can kiss your male friends without a problem, we’ll just think you’re foreign ad that that’s ok (I’ll be happy heeheehee). It also depends on the place where you are. If you’re in the middle of a street and you kiss you male friend, people won’t be rude or violent, they’ll probably be surprised nothing else. The most violent thing that can happen is that a macho latino guy will scream at you something like “Maricooo” (Queer). Period. In places like malls, clubs, etc. You can more likely do whatever you want to, because everybody is so busy with their own lives and problems, that they’re not looking at what other people are doing.
· Between girls (and I don’t know why, IT’S not fair!): girls can kiss each other on the cheeks, girls can hug, and almost NEVER shake hands between themselves. Seems like girls can hold hands too. Once I was walking out from a Mall, and while crossing the streets I saw 2 lesbians holding hands and NO one cared about it (Cooool! :D). I once saw two guys holding hands walking down the streets and NO one seemed to care, but me, heehee I was in such a state of shock!!!. Ii thought, “what’s this? Sidney?” (Coooool!) Though this doesnn’t happens always.
· Between boys and girls: they can shake hands, they can kiss, give a hug, hold hands, etc.
· You can come into everyone’s house whenever you want to. We hardly ask if we can go to your crib or not. We just show up, unless you want to be extremely cautious and polite, when you call before going there. If the person’s got no time to share with us, no big deal, we simply go somewhere else. Period. No one gets mad for that
· In the discos/clubs you can choose between Dance, Drink, Do both, and even Have sex (not everywhere though). Guys DANCE, if you don’t dance people can think 3 things about you: 1.- You’re a nerd, a weirdo who doesn’t knows how to dance. 2.- You just wanna enjoy the night and get drunk. 3.- You’re foreign. But I have to warn you, if you go to a disco and you don’t dance, don’t drink, people can be very mean with you, they might even reject you all the night :redface:. Girls MOSTLY dance, they don’t drink as much as guys because it’s not seen right. Although if she’s dancing, she can drink a lot, even more than a guy :lol:. It can happen that you simply don’t like the music of the place and you just went to dance. Well… mmm… That’s no excuse anymore. We got so much diversity here, that you can choose from a wide variety types of music, clubs, etc.
· When somebody comes to another’s house, the host family usually offers you whatever they have. You can even ask for specific things you might like, and it’s not seen as impolite. Though you can’t expect them to have what you want.

Nulnuk wrote:
about kissing ,no one ,not even gulz kiss in Israel ,no,no,nooooo

Oh well, I don’t know about kissing, but I have some (gay) friends in Israel, used to make fun of us here in Venezuela, saying that they could be all the day holding hands, and it was like normal.

Saaropean wrote:
When you're in a bus here, and you stare at someone instead of looking outside the window or fixing an imaginary "hole in the air", that person will be annoyed. And if s/he is violent, s/he might even beat you for having stared at her/him...

Oh god, what a cultural difference. Is that legal there? To beat up someone just because it was looking at you? How sick is that?... Can I sue that person who “slapped me” for SEEING them in a bus? (OH MY GOD!)

Nulnuk wrote:
it was only natural for hem to think she likes hem

So mmm… If for a Murderer it’s natural to kill people, then people around him should just let him?, because that’s natural for him? Maybe is an extremist example, but HEY!, you should respect the other person’s culture, don’t expect other people to have the same thoughts about what’s natural and not, that you have.

Nuluk wrote:
but she just a sloty EU gul

HEY!... This is so rude for you to say. Do you have anything against EU girls? Boys? People? It’s so pejorative… I can’t believe some people… :shock:

Weldal wrote:
Seriously, we are not Russsians, so we are not supposed to be lovers of the dance or something like this.

Oh god, I can’t believe you’re latin :p Venezuelans are NOT Russians either, and we LOVE dancing, it’s part of our culture and part of MOST of Latin American countries cultures! (at least the ones I have visited). Actually, foreigners, from Europe, NorthAmerica, and Latin America and even Venezuelan themselves, find it so STRANGE that I don’t dance SALSA (which is a typical music and dance In Caracas, Venezuela) that sometimes they don’t believe I’m a Latin person.

Ron wrote:
But everybody is shocked than, so I'll note it as "don't" because it's not normal here.

Wait… Are you talking about the Netherlands?... Homosexuality not normal? Guys kissing not normal?, People shocked because of two guys kissing?... Ok maybe that Amsterdam I went some years ago wasn’t in the Netherlands, but Holland :p:p:p

Weldal wrote:
Well, I think that most, if not all, of these semi-naked men are gays

So?

Weldal wrote:
since Argentina doesn't have the same amount of petroleum as Venezuela

I’m not sure what this meant.

Sou wrote:
This may shock some or all of you. Thais eat pizzas with ketchup. Or maybe a bit weirder by putting some chilli peppers or tabasco too.

Hahaha lol. Well in Korea they eat pizza with little kimchee balls, and spicy sauce.

The_real_onion wrote:
In the US, most people are horrified when they hear Belgians put mayonaise on their fries...Anyone else have that?

Oh.. well I do that too. Though Venezuelans don’t do it. Maybe it’s because I just love mayonnaise :D And I usually do nthe red and white thingy Saar talked about… Mmm… Yummy!

Quote:
Brazil is not a nation of punctuality

Ohh that seems to be a Latin American thingie then, because Venezuelans are like that too!!!!!!!!!!!... Altho Colombians are not…

Daniel wrote:
I hear that in Singapore, chewing gums are illegal. If caught even chewing it, then you can get publicly humiliated (literally

Ohh well that’s weird… But hey I read somewhere and also heard, that in La France it IS ILLEGAL to name a pig “Napoleon”, and that you can eve go to jail because of that!. Weird things huh?
http://enfantdeboheme.tumblr.com/

Art will save the world!

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2003-09-27, 9:52

Hey I didn't know that law about pigs !!!!
A friend of mine had a guinea pig called Napo (I hope he didn't risk ending up in jail...).

http://www.dumblaws.com/

That's funny although a few things they wrote are not very right.

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !
Nietzsche "Ainsi parlait Zarathoustra"

Zaduma

Postby Zaduma » 2004-05-24, 19:43

NulNuk wrote:NulNuk cant never get on time ,there is a NulKian law that say that
NulKians are alaw to get not-on time !!! :0}

NulNuk, I just love what you wrote! Hey, iamgine, Zadumas have the same law (all Zaduma's friends know that very well...)!!

senatortombstone

US politeness

Postby senatortombstone » 2004-05-24, 20:04

While I am by no means an expert on ettiquette, I do know some basic rules.

out in public

Don't stare at people

in an unfamiliar person's house

call women, regardless of age, MISS, and men sir

shake hands

NEVER KISS someone unless you're very close to them.

chew with your mouth closed

no burping or farting in public

no public displays of affection

don't swear or use vulgarities

take of your shoes before entering a privater house

when in doubt ask

use phrases like PLEASE or MAY I?

It is hard to just list acceptable behaviors, it is easier, if not more embarressing, to learn it as you go along.

Saaropean

Re: US politeness

Postby Saaropean » 2004-05-25, 8:18

Most of what senatortombstone mentioned also applies to the region I live in, but:

senatortombstone wrote:no public displays of affection

Does that mean a loving couple shouldn't kiss each other in public? Such a scene is not unusual here, and I do it, too. ;-)

senatortombstone wrote:take of your shoes before entering a privater house

Here some people want to have shoes taken off, some don't care. It's usually best to ask when you enter the house/appartment.
If you don't take your shoes off, you should of course clean them using the doormat.

Zaduma

Postby Zaduma » 2004-05-25, 12:06

My Spanish friend, a student from Madrid, who came here as an Erasmus scholar, was very surprised that policemen threaten that they'll ticket him next time if he'll drink some more beer in public place... Yup, here (I mean in Poland :wink: ) it is forbidden!!

My secret wish? I'd love to live in a country where dogs have to wear leash and muzzle (Yup, doggies don't love Zaduma and Zaduma doesn't love doggies...) and where the owner has to clean impurities of his animal...

DelBoy
Location: i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2004-05-25, 13:37

anne wrote:In the name of the hot countries. I'd say that citizens of tropical countries are not that punctual. Even though we all know it is a very bad habit.

Do you think 'ALL THESE' are because of the weather?

People of the cold countries are always on time, because they have to be ALERT :shock: . Look at them when they're standing, waiting for a bus in a cold winter morning.

People of the hot countries are kind of EASY GOING for everything. Because the cold is not painful. Some bosses (interviewers) are even later than the interviewees. :shock:

What do you do when it's hot?
- my answer will be 'Lie down and take it easy'.

Nah I dont think so. Ireland is pretty cold, but everyone's always late here! In fact its not normal if someone arrives on time or, God forbid, early! :shock: If someone says they'll be somewhere at , say, half 8, that could mean anything between quarter to 9 and 9! thats if its important to be there on time :D If its a party or something that starts at 8, dont expect many people before 10!
I think I'd be more punctual if I lived in a warmer climate - It would be easier to get out of bed! :twisted:

hopalong

re: discarding gum all over the place

Postby hopalong » 2004-05-27, 19:04

In the US, smokers throw cigarattes everywhere; they just discard them wherever, no matter whose property. I think it is sad.

Weldal

Here too...

Postby Weldal » 2004-05-27, 23:22

hopalong wrote:In the US, smokers throw cigarattes everywhere; they just discard them wherever, no matter whose property. I think it is sad.

Not only in the USA, unfortunately the same happens here in Brazil too... :roll:

Zaduma

Postby Zaduma » 2004-05-28, 10:09

Polish government was thinkng about a prohibition of smoking in places like bus stops... But I don't know the results... I hate when it is raining and I need to hide under the shed but people smoke there...

So I hope soon it will be one of DO NOT'S in Poland...

DelBoy
Location: i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2004-05-28, 12:15

Zaduma wrote:Polish government was thinkng about a prohibition of smoking in places like bus stops... But I don't know the results... I hate when it is raining and I need to hide under the shed but people smoke there...

So I hope soon it will be one of DO NOT'S in Poland...

Just a few months ago in Ireland a ban was placed on smoking in the work place, so that means not only smoke free offices etc, but also smoke free pubs, restaurants, nightclubs, cafes, etc etc....

So thats a new DO NOT for anyone visiting Ireland! :wink:

Mara

Re: US politeness

Postby Mara » 2004-05-29, 5:12

Although what senatortombstone wrote are indeed basic rules, I have different experience with one rule in particular:
senatortombstone wrote:take of your shoes before entering a privater house

Where I live, it's actually normal and acceptable not to take off your shoes when you come to someone's house (apartment). This is so widespread that my landlords, who want to keep their house clean, must specifically ask all guests to take off their shoes.

I would add more (U.S.) rules:

* Do not drink alcohol in public.
* Do not keep an open bottle or another container of alcohol (preferably not even a sealed one) next to you when you drive.
I am always sorry when any language is lost, because languages are the pedigree of nations.
-- Samuel Johnson, in: The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides by James Boswell (1785)

Return to “Culture”