DOs and DON'Ts in your countries

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

User avatar
Kirk
Posts: 2607
Joined: 2005-05-26, 19:43
Real Name: Kirk
Gender: male
Location: Los Angeles
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby Kirk » 2005-08-11, 0:20

pierrick18 wrote:NulNuk, your spelling is horrid! Use a spell checker, I know that if you can spell like that you can spell correctly. "Chatspeak" is very, very, very, very hard to read and you might as well just hit random keys on the keyboard because it would be easier to read. :roll:


?? I don't even see NulNuk's post on this thread. Would you care to quote it so we know what you're talking about?
Image
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

User avatar
kibo
Posts: 6942
Joined: 2003-12-16, 18:35
Gender: male
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Postby kibo » 2005-08-11, 0:27

pierrick18 wrote:NulNuk, your spelling is horrid! Use a spell checker, I know that if you can spell like that you can spell correctly. "Chatspeak" is very, very, very, very hard to read and you might as well just hit random keys on the keyboard because it would be easier to read. :roll:


NulNuk is dyslexic, he doesn't do that on purpose, and I don't think a spell-checker would be of any use.

svenska84 wrote:?? I don't even see NulNuk's post on this thread. Would you care to quote it so we know what you're talking about?


There is one on the first page of this thread.
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

User avatar
Luís
Forum Administrator
Posts: 7831
Joined: 2002-07-12, 22:44
Location: Lisboa
Country: PT Portugal (Portugal)

Postby Luís » 2005-08-11, 10:14

I dunno about the others, but even if NulNuk's spelling might be "horrid", it's still almost 100% intelligible, at least to me...
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

User avatar
Javier
Posts: 1872
Joined: 2005-04-19, 8:15
Real Name: Javier
Gender: male
Location: Munich
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)

Postby Javier » 2005-08-11, 14:08

I even like a lot to read them (the posts), not because on how it looks, but because of the content, is interesting.
Ecuadorian | Native Spanish speaker. | Interested in these languages
Corrections appreciated -(Even in Spanish) ;)

User avatar
Javier
Posts: 1872
Joined: 2005-04-19, 8:15
Real Name: Javier
Gender: male
Location: Munich
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)

Postby Javier » 2005-08-11, 14:40

Thanks,

I have a kind of "universal look" :D

people have thought I am malaysian, indonesian , filipino, from an arabic country, egyptian, turkish, thai!

in Nigeria they thought I was indian or even japanese, but this is understandable, because I simply look so diferent there.

and of course, latino <- if the guess that, prize ! :D

apart from white, black and asian people I can disguise easily... ;)
Ecuadorian | Native Spanish speaker. | Interested in these languages
Corrections appreciated -(Even in Spanish) ;)

User avatar
allemaalmeezinge
Posts: 3846
Joined: 2005-06-17, 6:01
Real Name: Tobias
Gender: male
Location: flowerful lands :)

Postby allemaalmeezinge » 2006-05-04, 13:10

ekalin wrote: If you say your party starts at 20h00, there are people that will start preparing themselves at 20h00, which mean they will arrive after 21h00 :-)


I think it is stupid to come exactly on point. Especially for parties, I'd never come within the first hour. Except of course, I'd help organising it.

One thing I liked about that thread was talking about just "dropping by" at friends'. I think this is also a matter of age here. I do that often at my friends, and counterwise. But when people get older and have an own family and stuff they tend to stop doing that and only visit themselves by schedules. At least this is my observation, although I know some exceptions, hähähä.

I also think eating while going is stupid. I must say nearly everybody does it, but I hate it. When you do something you should concentrate on it. So eat, and when you're int he city or somewhere away from home, search for a nice place, sit down and eat. But don't run through the city doing 3456346 things at the same time (with the cellphone in the other hand, hähähä).

About appointments: It is like that for me. When I'm about to meet with just one person, I'll come (mostly) on time, because it sucks for someone waiting alone. But when I meet with more friends I hate coming exactly on time, I think that's stiff.
Well not exactly "hate", but what I want to say is, that there is no sense in hurrying. You just know you'll meet them and go relaxed.

I've only read this thread upto page 4, I don't know if you've talked about red lights crossing. That was actually why I found this thread, I wanted to talk about that.
Would you cross a street at red lights? (on foot)
I cross small streets when there is no car near and no, or only grown up persons around. (Although I had to doubt if it wouldn't be better just to cross the street if it would be very small and no cars at all in sight, but an children near.)
But I wouldn't cross main streets in the city, even when the street is currently empty, because there are always people already waiting, and crossing before them would be very rude, and there are always kids.

User avatar
allemaalmeezinge
Posts: 3846
Joined: 2005-06-17, 6:01
Real Name: Tobias
Gender: male
Location: flowerful lands :)

Postby allemaalmeezinge » 2006-05-04, 13:21

Stacy wrote:-Allllllways say Please and thank you. We see all the other countries as quite..impolite if they dont say their p's and q's for every little thing. I read that some countries don't think for trivial things..but we do!! Thank us :D

I find it really rude when people don't :!:
I value these small words very high! :)
-One last thing..if you ask a brit "how are you" s/he will invariable say "fine" even if their entire world is falling apart. British people will not burden you with their problems unless you're unfortunate enough to be a good friend :P Something to do with our stiff upper lip ;) be careful if you do open a brit's pandora's box though..spare at least 2 weeks for it :):)

Another reason as to why this question is so stupid. Everyone asks, but even if the asking person cared to know, the asked one wouldn't tell ;)

User avatar
Gormur
Posts: 8074
Joined: 2005-05-17, 1:11
Real Name: Gormur
Gender: male
Country: CU Cuba (Cuba)
Contact:

Postby Gormur » 2006-05-04, 14:16

One thing here is that punctuality isn't highly regarded, so don't be shocked if you wait 10, 15, sometimes even 20 minutes for the bus to arrive after the scheduled time. Also note that the bus may not even show up all the time as they routinely skip certain stops. When going into class, profs will usually be coming in at the same time as the students or a few minutes late of schedule with no apologies - since it's normal here. Everyone is laid-back in that regard. Also, don't get upset when a Manitoban says "let's meet at X around 4pm" because around 4pm leaves a space of time of about 10-15 minutes on average. I know it really drove me nuts when I first came here, tho now I'm used to it...patience is a virtue I guess. :lol:
Patience is something you really need if you live in the Prairies, trust me.
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

User avatar
ego
Posts: 4918
Joined: 2004-12-06, 15:19
Real Name: Thanasis
Gender: male
Location: SX
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Postby ego » 2006-05-04, 15:17

ekalin wrote:If you say your party starts at 20h00, there are people that will start preparing themselves at 20h00, which mean they will arrive after 21h00 :)


:oops:

Who told you?

I guess only Saaropean will be there at 20:00:00 :lol:

User avatar
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk
Posts: 6945
Joined: 2005-11-30, 10:21
Gender: female
Location: Utrecht
Country: NL The Netherlands (Nederland)

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2006-05-04, 15:19

ego wrote:
ekalin wrote:If you say your party starts at 20h00, there are people that will start preparing themselves at 20h00, which mean they will arrive after 21h00 :)


:oops:

Who told you?

I guess only Saaropean will be there at 20:00:00 :lol:
I would be there around 19.45, I am always early :)
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

User avatar
ego
Posts: 4918
Joined: 2004-12-06, 15:19
Real Name: Thanasis
Gender: male
Location: SX
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Postby ego » 2006-05-04, 15:20

Back to the original question:

Sandals are considered very very bad dressing in Greece. Especially for men. Greeks don't wear sandals even at the beach. I am not saying you have no chance to make friends if you wear sandals :lol: , it's just the common view. We often make fun of tourists for that reason

User avatar
allemaalmeezinge
Posts: 3846
Joined: 2005-06-17, 6:01
Real Name: Tobias
Gender: male
Location: flowerful lands :)

Postby allemaalmeezinge » 2006-05-04, 15:21

ego wrote: Greeks don't wear sandals even at the beach.

And their feet stink!

User avatar
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk
Posts: 6945
Joined: 2005-11-30, 10:21
Gender: female
Location: Utrecht
Country: NL The Netherlands (Nederland)

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2006-05-04, 15:22

ego wrote:Back to the original question:

Sandals are considered very very bad dressing in Greece. Especially for men. Greeks don't wear sandals even at the beach. I am not saying you have no chance to make friends if you wear sandals :lol: , it's just the common view. We often make fun of tourists for that reason
Here too, especially when you have socks in it, white sportsocks in sandals and you are doomed.

I like sandals though :oops:
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

User avatar
ego
Posts: 4918
Joined: 2004-12-06, 15:19
Real Name: Thanasis
Gender: male
Location: SX
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Postby ego » 2006-05-04, 15:23

yabba wrote:And their feet stink!


What an elegant humour you have, yabbito baby :lol: .

So your feet don't smell at summertime only? :P

User avatar
MiOB
Posts: 860
Joined: 2006-03-02, 13:12
Real Name: Omri
Gender: male
Location: חולון, ישראל
Country: IL Israel (ישראל / إسرائيل)
Contact:

Postby MiOB » 2006-05-04, 16:20

oh lance, that's exactly how it is where I live! :P :lol:

I still remember my friend from Germany, how her world fell apart when she visited me some months ago :lol: :lol: :lol: She just couldn't BARE the unpunctuality! :lol: :lol: :lol: Buses came late, so did the trains, and due to that, we were late as well :lol: She was S-O pissed off, while I was laughing on her being pissed off! :lol:

Same thing happend when I visited her in Germany. It seems like I never seemed to care for the buses and trains' schedule. I tranquilly walked around while she running from train to train, and I remember how one time she got into the train while I was WAY behind her, and I made it right at the last second, and the door was literally closing on me! :lol: :lol: :lol: Then, she gave me the pissed off face for being so tranquil in such a punctual country! :lol: :lol: :lol:

achh, cultural differences can be very amusing at times... :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
kibo
Posts: 6942
Joined: 2003-12-16, 18:35
Gender: male
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Postby kibo » 2006-05-04, 16:27

ego wrote:Back to the original question:

Sandals are considered very very bad dressing in Greece. Especially for men. Greeks don't wear sandals even at the beach. I am not saying you have no chance to make friends if you wear sandals :lol: , it's just the common view. We often make fun of tourists for that reason


I wonder what Ancient Greeks wore on their feet. :P
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

User avatar
MiOB
Posts: 860
Joined: 2006-03-02, 13:12
Real Name: Omri
Gender: male
Location: חולון, ישראל
Country: IL Israel (ישראל / إسرائيل)
Contact:

Postby MiOB » 2006-05-04, 16:39

ego wrote:Sandals are considered very very bad dressing in Greece. Especially for men.


:o :o :o and I've just bought my new pair of sandlas :cry: :cry: :cry:

How the heck can sandals be considered a very bad dressing in a country with a hot summer? :shock: This is quite... weird! :lol: :lol: :lol: I only wore sneakers for last summer, and it was just... pure disgust! The heat and humidity! :evil: While with sandals, the feet stay clean and fresh! :D

User avatar
ego
Posts: 4918
Joined: 2004-12-06, 15:19
Real Name: Thanasis
Gender: male
Location: SX
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Postby ego » 2006-05-04, 17:34

Bugi: I don't really appreciate ancient Greek fashion :P

MiOB: I asked my Hebrew teacher about that and he told me "unfortunately sandals are very popular in Israel too". :lol: Things are not so disgusting when you wear socks too.

Anyway it's just a matter of taste. You will hardly see any Greek wearing sandals if you come here

User avatar
Dimakos
Posts: 505
Joined: 2005-09-09, 15:39
Real Name: Dimitrios
Gender: male
Location: Αθήνα (ή όπου τύχει)
Country: GR Greece (Ελλάς)

Postby Dimakos » 2006-05-04, 17:57

I think what ego's trying to point out is that sandals are very popular among tourists, Greeks simply don't favour them. There are many workshops owners, mostly in downtown Athens that made a fortune selling leather "ancient Greek type" sandals to tourists. Of cource, when it's really hot, Greeks probably have to wear them too, (I personally like to wear sandals when I'm at the beach) :)

User avatar
MiOB
Posts: 860
Joined: 2006-03-02, 13:12
Real Name: Omri
Gender: male
Location: חולון, ישראל
Country: IL Israel (ישראל / إسرائيل)
Contact:

Postby MiOB » 2006-05-04, 18:28

ego wrote:MiOB:

Please, omri if you can. :oops:

ego wrote:I asked my Hebrew teacher about that and he told me "unfortunately sandals are very popular in Israel too". :lol: Things are not so disgusting when you wear socks too.

Oh indeed! The kibbutzniks have started the whole "sandals-fashion", you know, that whole "Simple-Hard-Working-Israeli-Farm-Man-Look". :lol: There are people, who actually wear sandals to actually "suggest" a simple look, a non-cool look, even if they hate it! :P

What do you actually mean by saying that things aren't so disgutsting while wearing socks? as in, inside the shoes? well, yeah, it's even better, otherwise the skin would be terribly scraped by the inner-shoe and those painful cysts would pop up! :?

But I did want to ask, what don't you personally like it?

ego wrote:if you come here

Oh, now I'd have to wait till I had money for buying sneakers :P Those NB are so expesive! :?


Return to “Culture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest