DOs and DON'Ts in your countries

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Gormur
Re: DOs and DON'Ts in your countries

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-25, 17:22

Yes exactly. When with a group of friends (peers), you don't correspond with family members. I'm sure you've heard this before :)
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-25, 17:26

Osias wrote:Don't touch your food with your hands.

I went this far not long ago. For example, i don't eat pizza with mere hands anymore. It's too greasy. Now, you might think the food is too greasy and you'd be correct. I mean seriously, why make the food so greasy that you can't simply pick it up. But yeah, that's how it is most places now :evil:

I remember when Sbarro used to be a restaurant in the mall you'd go and get pizza. It was sort of greasy but not enough to wet your hands. Now of course there's no Sbarro and you buy frozen pizzas which are even greasier :para: :|

I think if I went to Italy, the only pizza i'd try is one with grease. I mean why add grease? It's definitely not on the menu here :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-25, 17:32

Gormur wrote:Yes exactly. When with a group of friends (peers), you don't correspond with family members. I'm sure you've heard this before :)

I haven't, actually. In my circle, everyone understands if you step away for a moment to take a call from a family member because they assume it's something important. It would only be rude if you carried on a conversation in their midst or remained absent for an extended period of time when there was nothing pressing.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-25, 18:26

To be fair, i'm more referring to people in their 20s~30s. It definitely seems uncool to be taking calls from parents and such during dinner hours :)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-02-25, 19:18

Gormur wrote:To be fair, i'm more referring to people in their 20s~30s. It definitely seems uncool to be taking calls from parents and such during dinner hours :)

Being someone in my 20s-30s, I can't say I've ever heard of this either. People might give you guff over getting a call from a particular person (which can include family), but that's not the same as considering it rude to take the call.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-02-25, 21:10

Gormur wrote:Yes exactly. When with a group of friends (peers), you don't correspond with family members. I'm sure you've heard this before :)

Not really, no.

If I am with a group I usually avoid to be on my phone, because I consider it kinda rude. And since I barely receive phone calls I would take it because it might be something important/urgent.

If the person is calling me just to take some news, I'll ask to call back later though. I really dislike if I am with someone and they are having a full convo by phone, so I avoid to do it too :)
Thanks for any correction :)

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-02-25, 21:13

Gormur wrote:To be fair, i'm more referring to people in their 20s~30s. It definitely seems uncool to be taking calls from parents and such during dinner hours :)

Seems more like a teenager thing then, being "uncool" :D

Or maybe we have very different circles of friends ˆˆ. Where is that habit from?

I was having dinner once, and one person received a call from his mum. Although he complained about it later he still took the call and talked to her.
Thanks for any correction :)

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2020-02-26, 0:05

DONT'S:

Don't use toothpicks. Especially in restaurants. It's gross.

Don't order a capuccino after breakfast time.

Don't wear sandals with socks

DO'S:

Blow your nose if you need to, even in public it's not a problem. Italians can't stand the sound of "mucus inhaling" (don't know what to call it) of someone who needs to blow their nose but doesn't. This is the opposite of some other culture like Japan where blowing your nose in public is akin to farting in public.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-26, 4:29

I think this rude behavior is expressed like this. Don't pick your teeth. Like some people actually put their fingers in their mouth to pull out food. Truly horrifying :)

Also spitting is a real faux pas. In some cultures it seems it's a compliment though i'm not sure where :hmm:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-26, 15:30

Synalepha wrote:Blow your nose if you need to, even in public it's not a problem. Italians can't stand the sound of "mucus inhaling" (don't know what to call it) of someone who needs to blow their nose but doesn't.

It's called "sniffling" if it's relatively quiet. The loud sound I call "snorting snot", which is an expression almost as unpleasant as the sound itself. (This is a huge pet peeve for me. I've offered strangers tissues just to get them to stop doing this.)

Gormur wrote:Also spitting is a real faux pas.

I think this is somewhat class-dependent. I'm firmly middle class and this was always considered grossly unacceptable. The only time it was really considered okay to spit in public is if you were running a race and had to get rid of excess saliva.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-26, 16:49

I think I heard before that in Singapore, it's illegal to spit in public areas. Not to be confused with the chewing gum ban :)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-28, 13:49

How about while dating don't talk about your other dates? It seems like no one notices this but to me it's a total no-no :para: :wink:

In some instances in line-up it's permitted to go ahead of a person or more if they tell you so. Definitely situation dependent, though :hmm:

Return to “Culture”