Regions of India/Pakistan

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Ahendu
Regions of India/Pakistan

Postby Ahendu » 2023-01-02, 4:39

Hi,

I have this curiosity about how are the regions of India and Pakistan?

In short, I'm from Brazil, which is a large country, I have lived/visited about 5 provinces here, and I'm quite aware that they are very different from each other, in many aspects. I could say that in many essential things, they seem to be complete different lands; I could say that each of these provinces have a certain "feeling", a certain "ethic", a certain "world vision" or "expectations" which are completely different from each other, even having so much in common - language, religion, history, etc.

My guess, therefore, is that India/Pakistan being so large, that there are probably a similar situation, with regions being very different from each other. I know that differentiating regions can lead to issues like rivality, pejorative descriptions or evaluative ones, which is not what I look for. What I mean is that I don't think a place is "better" than other, just different, and I'm not looking for objective data like which one is richer, these kind of things could be find in Wikipedia, what I'm looking more is a certain description of what would be some "essential traits" of being in this place, of the people of this place, and that is hard to find descriptions online, though people that already lived there are probably aware of it.

So, that's sort of what I'm asking, tips about how would be different regions of India/Pakistan in their essential traits?

Thank you a lot for anyone that spends it's time to write, it might look as a silly question, but the truth is that I'm fascinated by India/Pakistan since I was a child, and researching from far on these terms are somehow important to me.
Talvez, pela circunstancial razão de ser humano, eu goste de palavras.

"A ausência destes sons que dão teu nome me faz tão solitário nesta terra..." - Pseudo-Eça de Queiroz

Osias

Re: Regions of India/Pakistan

Postby Osias » 2023-01-02, 20:47

Hi!

What "provinces" from Brazil did you visit?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Ahendu

Postby Ahendu » 2023-01-03, 23:14

I found a blog that is written about South India (it mentions Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Telangana), that puts as characteristics "great at logic and mathematics", "highly sensitive", "orthodox and conservative".
I noticed that these characteristics seem contradictory, specially the emphasis on logic and highly sensitivity.
In the case these characteristics would be applied to different states, which one would be more sensitive, which one more logical, which one more conservative, etc?

Besides, one thing that I always associated with India is the Vishnu-Shravana paradigm, the OM, listening, meditation... Is this associated with the whole Subcontinent or there are states/regions more associated with it?

Osias wrote: What "provinces" from Brazil did you visit?

Not the subject of the topic, "amigón". :nope:
Talvez, pela circunstancial razão de ser humano, eu goste de palavras.

"A ausência destes sons que dão teu nome me faz tão solitário nesta terra..." - Pseudo-Eça de Queiroz

jijiahair

Postby jijiahair » 2023-03-02, 10:52

I found this post very interesting and informative. Thank you for sharing your special thoughts with us. I definitely share this with my peeps.

Return to “Culture”