What did you eat today?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk
What did you eat today?

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-07-25, 18:49

I've had roasted chicken pies and sweet potatoes with quinoa abd spinach. Really nice!

What did you eat for dinner?
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Linguaphile

Re: What did you eat today?

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-07-25, 19:14

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:I've had roasted chicken pies and sweet potatoes with quinoa abd spinach. Really nice!

What did you eat for dinner?

Pupusas filled with cheese and Anaheim peppers, topped with habanera salsa and sour cream.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-07-26, 0:50

I phoned it in: refried black bean burritos with mushrooms and kale. Badly underseasoned because I thought I'd salted and spiced the beans when I cooked them the first time but I hadn't.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-07-26, 1:24

Chicken drummetes and what Brazilians call maionese. It's a dish, not a sauce: https://pt.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salada_russa
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-07-29, 8:44

Bulgur with cauliflower and mackerel

Corrections appreciated.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-07-30, 1:38

five rice krispies treats for breakfast

2pm I call it dinner, supper is the last meal of my day; not dinner. Enriched white rice with chili and pepper jack cheese
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-08-01, 1:51

Garlic bread pizza.

It's (garlic bread) pizza, not garlic (bread pizza).
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-08-01, 7:07

French fries with peanut sauce and a vegetarian Dutch croquet.

Corrections appreciated.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-08-01, 15:18

Veggie spring rolls and Thai-style fried rice

Gormur wrote:2pm I call it dinner, supper is the last meal of my day; not dinner.

For me, my meals are:

Breakfast - if I'm going to work or leaving home I'll usually have breakfast at about 6:30am, if I'm staying at home I'll have it anytime before 10am or sometimes I'll skip it. Usually cold cereal or hot cereal, once a week or so I'll have eggs (on their own or wrapped in a tortilla with other ingredients)

Lunch -always between 11am and 2pm, usually around 12:30 (usually one of the following: soup, a sandwich, a burrito or a quesadilla)

Dinner - always between 5pm and 8pm, usually around 7:00, although to me that seems fairly late (when I was younger we always at around 5:00 pm, but due to my schedule now, it tends to end up around 7:00 even if I intend to aim for 5:00 more often). This is the meal that has the most variety for me and tend to include meals from American, Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Indian, and Italian food traditions. It's funny how eating the same food for breakfast day after day can seem normal while eating the same food for dinner day after day would seem monotonous to me.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-08-01, 21:50

I had 2 Lärabars (the cashew and date) and a piece of ham

Linguaphile, anything before 1pm is breakfast or other forms of it. That's according to my body though so who knows. If I ate that early, like noon time, I'd feel strange because that'd just be a snack and I'd still be geared up to eat in the afternoon

This might be because I don't really eat supper during the week but more on Friday or occasionally on a Sunday, I suppose :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-08-02, 7:29

Great! a real food thead! :D

Breakfast:
2 liters of green tea, vegan salad with vinegar dressing (no oil), 1 glass of kefir with a spoon of müesli.

Lunch:
Vegan curry with cabbage, green beans, peas and brocoli, with almond milk, ginger and cumin
watermelon and 1 "ready to eat else will rot" apricot
coffee

Afternoon snack:
2/3 of the 1st pear of my garden!
3 glasses of sparkling water with a bit of fruit kefir

Dinner :
alcohol-free beer with radishes, baby tomatoes and olives (okay, and few peanuts!)
soy pasta with Siitake mushrooms, half a leek and ginger
watermelon
half liter of Orange and cinnamon Rooibos

This has be rather vegan/vegetarian so today I'll have fish!!
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-08-02, 9:39

france-eesti wrote:Great! a real food thead! :D

This has be rather vegan/vegetarian so today I'll have fish!!

Are you a pescotarian too or do you eat meat as well?

Tonight we'll eat potatoes, green beans and a vegetarian burger.

Corrections appreciated.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-08-02, 15:16

Finishing up a second Lärabar (Cashew Cookie) and will have white rice with chili tamales out of a can for dinner this afternoon

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-02, 17:11

My roommate just made us...that thing where you cut holes into the center of pieces of bread and bake/fry eggs in them. What do you call that?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-08-02, 18:08

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Are you a pescotarian too or do you eat meat as well?

Thanks for introducing this new word to me!
I am indeed a pescotarian!
I do not eat meat nor eggs. Only fish :) (and seafruit)(and snails - I am French!!!)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Tonight we'll eat potatoes, green beans and a vegetarian burger.

What did you put in your vegetarian burger? Soy steak or just vegetables? :mrgreen:
Vegan burger is delicious and a big, big treat for me (I have once or twice a year as a bonus if I've been a good girl) :D
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-02, 18:34

france-eesti wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Are you a pescotarian too or do you eat meat as well?

FWIW, I've seen several variant spellings of this word (including "piscatarian" and "pescetarian"), but the most common spelling by far in English is "pescatarian".

I'm flexipescatarian myself.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-08-02, 18:44

france-eesti wrote:

I do not eat meat nor eggs. Only fish :) (and seafruit)(and snails - I am French!!!)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Tonight we'll eat potatoes, green beans and a vegetarian burger.

What did you put in your vegetarian burger? Soy steak or just vegetables? :mrgreen:
Vegan burger is delicious and a big, big treat for me (I have once or twice a year as a bonus if I've been a good girl) :D

I am so scares of snails... And I love eggs. I just don't eat meat and try to eat as much vegan as possible but I also have two kids and I mustn't lose weight so well, I don't really eat vegan :wink:

We don't make vegetarian burgers ourselves, do you? We have got plenty of burgers in the store, this time it was a sate burger made of soy.

linguoboy wrote:
france-eesti wrote:

FWIW, I've seen several variant spellings of this word (including "piscatarian" and "pescetarian"), but the most common spelling by far in English is "pescatarian".

I'm flexipescatarian myself.

That's interesting, I assumed it would be the same as in Dutch. It made me even doubt the Dutch spelling but I looked it up and it is pescorariër just like I thought.

Corrections appreciated.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-02, 19:24

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:That's interesting, I assumed it would be the same as in Dutch. It made me even doubt the Dutch spelling but I looked it up and it is pescorariër just like I thought.

It's kind of a weird word in any language. I assume the -ariër element comes from vegetariër, but where on earth do they get pescor-? There's no natural language which has an element for "fish" like that!

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2020-08-02, 20:09

The -r- is a typo. The word is pescotariër.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-08-02, 20:23

linguoboy wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:That's interesting, I assumed it would be the same as in Dutch. It made me even doubt the Dutch spelling but I looked it up and it is pescorariër just like I thought.

It's kind of a weird word in any language. I assume the -ariër element comes from vegetariër, but where on earth do they get pescor-? There's no natural language which has an element for "fish" like that!

Aurinĭa is right, it was a typo :whistle: So indeed just like vegetariër and the ugly flexitariër...

What exactly did you mean with flexipescatarian?

Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Culture”