What did you eat today?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Re: What did you eat today?

Postby linguoboy » 2020-08-02, 20:32

Pesco- is still a weird element. The linking vowel screams "Greek" but the rest of the word appears modeled on Romance terms like Italian pesce or Spanish pescado.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:What exactly did you mean with flexipescatarian?

I was half-joking. While researching "pescatarian", I stumbled across "flexitarian" as a term for "one who is usually or primarily vegetarian, but not strictly so". I'm primarily pescatarian but not strictly so. (A more accurate term for my diet is just "low-meat".)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-01, 21:56

Two plain raisin bagels with a large glass of milk

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-15, 13:37

The second one-fourth of a cinnamon roll, following the first I had yesterday. It's indeed delicious but just too sweet for me to finish the whole at a time, perhaps because I didn't have it with black coffee or anything. The one I've been having is flavored with brown sugar. It should be added with much sugar that there was even a thin layer of suger crust at the bottom when it came to me.

I've never tried the Scandinavian bun before; this is a new experience to me. My situation, however, is not typical here among my friends. Having done some research for fun on the internet, one thing I've known is that cinnamon rolls are available at Starbucks, and there is one at all even in the little town I live. It's just that I have never entered.

Another information I've read is that every Sweden eats in average 316 cinnamon rolls per year. Now that having known it's a very usual food for most Westerns, I am wondering if anyone of you have a story related to this sweet bakery to share.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-10-15, 15:34

azhong wrote:The second one-fourth of a cinnamon roll, following the first I had yesterday. It's indeed delicious but just too sweet for me to finish the whole at a time (all at once/in one go), perhaps because I didn't have it with black coffee or anything. The one I've been having is flavored with brown sugar. It should be added (I should add) with so much sugar that there was even a thin layer of sugar crust at the bottom when it came to me.

I've never tried the Scandinavian bun before; this is a new experience tofor me. My situation, however, is not typical here among my friends. Having done some research for fun on the internet, one thing I've known is that cinnamon rolls are available at Starbucks, and there is one at all even in the little town I live. It's just that I have never entered (gone in).

Another bit of information I've read is that every Sweden eats in average 316 cinnamon rolls per year. Now that having knownI know it's a very usual food for most Westerners, I am wondering if anyone of you havehas a story related to this sweet bakerybaked good/pastry to share.

Quick commentary on style: Your use of circumlocutions to avoid repeating the term "cinnamon roll" in every paragraph is very typical of a particular type of feature article. In a post to an informal discussion board, however, this verges on being comical.

It's a bit odd to see cinnamon rolls described as "Scandinavian". They may have originated there, but they are so ubiquitous in the USA that no one here associates them with anywhere else. In fact, my first thought when you said "the Scandinavian bun" was that you were talking about a cardamom roll, because cardamon is the spice we most firmly associate with Scandinavian baking. Not only does Starbucks carry cinnamon rolls, but so does Corner Bakery, Dunkin Donuts, and every other bakery or coffeehouse chain that serves pastries.

I tend not to get cinnamon rolls because I do find them too sweet, but yesterday I made an exception. Some colleagues of mine brought donuts to work and one of them snagged the apple cider donut I had my eye on, so I went for the "pumpkin cinnamon roll" instead. This was a mistake; the crumble topping was so crammed with cinnamon it was almost painful to eat. I ended up having to scrape some off.

This is a pet peeve I have with American food: We use waaaaay to much cinnamon. The original recipe for masala chai, for instance, contains no cinnamon at all, but you would never know this from drinking most American chai; usually cinnamon is the only spice you can taste. The notorious "pumpkin spice" is chiefly cinnamon and now that fall is here it's in everything. Some years ago, someone circulated a fake ad for pumpkin spice lube, but I am 100% sure this is something you could actually buy now.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-16, 7:52

linguoboy wrote:
azhong wrote:It should be added (I should add) with so much sugar that there was even a thin layer of sugar crust at the bottom when it came to me.

It's a typo and you mean actually it should add, I guess? (I myself added nothing to it before or when having it. I guess the sugar crust is out of the sugar grains added during the process of making the pastry.)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-10-16, 14:28

azhong wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
azhong wrote:It should be added (I should add) with so much sugar that there was even a thin layer of sugar crust at the bottom when it came to me.

It's a typo and you mean actually it should add, I guess? (I myself added nothing to it before or when having it. I guess the sugar crust is out of the sugar grains added during the process of making the pastry.)

That sounds even worse! Now I'm really confused what you're trying to say. I thought you were trying to make a supplemental comment, as in "I told you it was sweet but I didn't tell just how sweet it was, so I should add to my statement by telling you there was enough sugar to form a sugar crust at the bottom." I can't interpret "It should add with much sugar" as meaning anything sensible. Who or what is that "should" meant to apply to?

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-10-16, 14:52

linguoboy wrote:
azhong wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

That sounds even worse! Now I'm really confused what you're trying to say. I thought you were trying to make a supplemental comment, as in "I told you it was sweet but I didn't tell just how sweet it was, so I should add to my statement by telling you there was enough sugar to form a sugar crust at the bottom." I can't interpret "It should add with much sugar" as meaning anything sensible. Who or what is that "should" meant to apply to?

I intended to say something like "the pastry(= it) might be added with so much sugar that...". I used "should" to express my conjecture. A wrong usage then, I guess?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-10-16, 15:17

You can’t use “add” like that. Something is always added to something. Sugar can be added to cinnamon rolls. It should be added to them. But they can’t be *”added with sugar”.

In addition, “must” is the correct modal for expressing this kind of conjecture. “Should” in this context implies obligation, not supposition. They must have added a lot of sugar because I can see it. The should add sugar because cinnamon rolls are meant to be sweet.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-21, 23:27

I think he meant "it had so much sugar added (to it) that..."

azhong

Postby azhong » 2021-12-21, 13:28

Today is the Dongzhi (冬至) Festival for Chinese people, and the festival food is tangyuan(湯圓).

topazann

Postby topazann » 2022-01-10, 23:24

Hot food competition with dessert as secondary at my house.

Chipotle garlic honey hot sauce, Garlic Indian style ghost pepper sauce, tons of wings with the above according to recipe and buffalo sauce, scalloped potatoes with 1.5 pounds of ham and a pound of bacon, bravetart cinnamon rolls.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-13, 18:13

I got my booster shot yesterday and am feeling kind of sick today, so I ate toast with grape jam. Normally, I would have toast with grape jelly when I'm sick, but grape jelly is not available.

Humusk1

Postby Humusk1 » 2022-07-06, 10:30

Breakfast of bacon and cinnamon buns, lunch of peanut butter sandwich, afternoon snack of two margaritas, dinner of spaghetti...and a bottle of red wine

Menuprice

Postby Menuprice » 2022-07-07, 7:52

That's interesting! MiracIly I have rain today and also i have more dishes to eat as weather demand So, I decide to make fries,corn, pakoras,soup & Chiken Tikkka :P :P :P :P :P :P :partyhat:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2022-08-09, 10:04

linguoboy wrote:My roommate just made us...that thing where you cut holes into the center of pieces of bread and bake/fry eggs in them. What do you call that?
Oh, that's such a weird one. I thought it was called "toad in the hole" my whole life. Then I found out that in Britain, that's the name of a dish which is like a giant Yorkshire pudding with sausages in it. Never heard of that in my life, but whatever. And then I saw this mess:
Five guys walk into a diner. One orders a toad in the hole, another the gashouse eggs, the third gets eggs in a basket, the next orders a hole in one, and the last fellow gets spit in the ocean. What does each wind up with? The same thing! Although toad in the hole can refer to a sausage-in-Yorkshire pudding dish, it’s also among the many names for a good old-fashioned slice of bread with a hole in it, fried with an egg in that hole, including one-eyed jack and pirate’s eye.
And those are far from all the names for it! I feel like we're being trolled.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Areba21

Postby Areba21 » 2022-10-08, 12:38

3 cups of coffee. I should probably eat something solid at some point.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2022-10-31, 0:08

For lunch I ate white cauliflower. For supper, we had chicken with "allioli" (Catalan ail sauce).

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-11-01, 15:28

Antea wrote:For lunch I ate white cauliflower. For supper, we had chicken with "allioli" (Catalan ail sauce).

"Ail sauce" doesn't mean anything to an English-speaker. We actually call this sauce "aioli" (from a French respelling of the Occitan name).

I haven't had anything to eat yet today except pan de muertos.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2022-11-02, 11:30

Very Finnish day so far: I had a slice of ruislimppu with ham and cheese for breakfast and then reindeer-cheese-soup for lunch.

Return to “Culture”