Clapping when the plane lands

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

User avatar
Osias
Posts: 8112
Joined: 2007-09-09, 17:38
Real Name: Osias Junior
Gender: male
Location: Vitória
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: Clapping when the plane lands

Postby Osias » 2018-08-16, 22:09

linguoboy wrote:This is like people clapping when something is shown on TV. I'm always like, "You know they can't hear you, right?"

But the sun will hear them... the spirit of sun, or the god of the sun or something... 8 minutes later.

Prowler wrote:Or those guys who love to yell at the tv while watching football. That's rather common.
Every Wednesday I hear neighbors crying and swearing at some TV game.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

User avatar
Naava
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 892
Joined: 2012-01-17, 20:24
Gender: female
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Clapping when the plane lands

Postby Naava » 2018-08-17, 7:46

Osias wrote:
linguoboy wrote:This is like people clapping when something is shown on TV. I'm always like, "You know they can't hear you, right?"

But the sun will hear them... the spirit of sun, or the god of the sun or something... 8 minutes later.

What, their voices travel at the speed of light?

Prowler wrote:Or those guys who love to yell at the tv while watching football. That's rather common.
Every Wednesday I hear neighbors crying and swearing at some TV game.

I talk to the TV all the time because people in the films etc are always doing or saying the wrong things. :whistle:

User avatar
Osias
Posts: 8112
Joined: 2007-09-09, 17:38
Real Name: Osias Junior
Gender: male
Location: Vitória
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: Clapping when the plane lands

Postby Osias » 2018-08-17, 10:47

Naava wrote:
Osias wrote:
linguoboy wrote:This is like people clapping when something is shown on TV. I'm always like, "You know they can't hear you, right?"

But the sun will hear them... the spirit of sun, or the god of the sun or something... 8 minutes later.

What, their voices travel at the speed of light?

Voices? :hmm: You mean the sound of clapping?
Prowler wrote:Or those guys who love to yell at the tv while watching football. That's rather common.
Every Wednesday I hear neighbors crying and swearing at some TV game.

I talk to the TV all the time because people in the films etc are always doing or saying the wrong things. :whistle:
That actually makes sense these days when TV sets have microphones and companies listen to them for advertising purposes.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

User avatar
Naava
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 892
Joined: 2012-01-17, 20:24
Gender: female
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Clapping when the plane lands

Postby Naava » 2018-08-18, 11:47

Osias wrote:
Naava wrote:
Osias wrote:But the sun will hear them... the spirit of sun, or the god of the sun or something... 8 minutes later.

What, their voices travel at the speed of light?

Voices? :hmm: You mean the sound of clapping?

...yes. :silly:
I'm not sure what happened there, but it might be some weird Finglish. You see, voice, sound and noise are the same word in Finnish.

I talk to the TV all the time because people in the films etc are always doing or saying the wrong things. :whistle:
That actually makes sense these days when TV sets have microphones and companies listen to them for advertising purposes.

What.

User avatar
Osias
Posts: 8112
Joined: 2007-09-09, 17:38
Real Name: Osias Junior
Gender: male
Location: Vitória
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: Clapping when the plane lands

Postby Osias » 2018-08-18, 11:50

You know when you are talking to someone about 'beach' and some minutes after that there's an ad about traveling to beaches on some social media on your phone and you say 'what an amazing coincidence' and those amazing coincidences are happening most everyday lately?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

User avatar
Naava
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 892
Joined: 2012-01-17, 20:24
Gender: female
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Clapping when the plane lands

Postby Naava » 2018-08-18, 13:18

...no, I don't? :|

User avatar
Osias
Posts: 8112
Joined: 2007-09-09, 17:38
Real Name: Osias Junior
Gender: male
Location: Vitória
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: Clapping when the plane lands

Postby Osias » 2018-08-18, 13:35

2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

User avatar
Naava
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 892
Joined: 2012-01-17, 20:24
Gender: female
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Clapping when the plane lands

Postby Naava » 2018-08-18, 14:34

Wtf. That's horrible.

I don't have an iPhone and I haven't given any app the permission to use the microphone, which might explain why my ads don't match with my conversation topics. (It's also a possibility that I just speak about such bizarre things that the advertisers have no idea what to do with me. :lol:)

User avatar
Osias
Posts: 8112
Joined: 2007-09-09, 17:38
Real Name: Osias Junior
Gender: male
Location: Vitória
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: Clapping when the plane lands

Postby Osias » 2018-08-18, 16:10

I noticed those things only happen with my friends and wife, not with me. I don't have facebook, instagram and other apps installed, I believe none of the ones I got are recording my voice.

That also explains how the Sun can hear you clapping to him: while the sound doesn't travel the space, the cell phones record the clapping and upload it to him, who will hear them 8 minutes later. A little more, of course, because of the overhead.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.


Return to “Culture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron