What's the right age to die?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

IpseDixit
What's the right age to die?

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-07-06, 14:01

I would like to know how this differs in different cultures/countries. At what age would you personally say that a person has lived long enough and that it isn't too soon for them to die?

Personally, for me anything below 85 is too soon, and this seems to be a shared thought in my family.

(Let's assume no major health issues during the aging process).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: What's the right age to die?

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-07, 4:10

To me, there is no such thing as "too soon to die." Stillborn children are a thing.

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-07-07, 4:28

Yeah, I would say over 85-90, people will say that the person lived a full life, and even people at that age will often say that their time is up.

But the thing that muddies the waters here is that no-one I know makes it to 85+ without multiple serious health problems which give them a terrible quality of life.
If I had multiple degenerative diseases at age 30, I would also welcome death.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-07-16, 14:23

What an....odd question. Regardless, I think for me personally, anyone that has reached say 80 or older has lived a good long life and their passing is less saddening.

I can't say that's a good age to die at though. I'm not so sure any age is good to die at.

Are you making plans for your future, Ipse? :P

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-07-16, 15:38

There is no right age to die. Aging is a disease to be overcome like all others.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-16, 20:53

BABIES 'R' US 4EVAH!

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2018-08-16, 2:58

No idea... it depends on how healthy, financially secure, happy, etc. you are. If you told me I was gonna live up to 90 and still be very healthy for my age by then I'd accept it... but if you told me I was gonna end up very unhealthy and with possibly alzheimers and other problems in the last 10-15 years of my life, then I think Id' rather die a bit before the life expectancy average.

If you told me now that I'd die by the time I'm 44 I'd not be unhappy, but I guess by the time I make it to 38-39 years old(if I make it, that is) I guess i'm gonna change my mind?

Return to “Culture”