Online aboriginal/indigenous radio?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

atalarikt
Online aboriginal/indigenous radio?

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-24, 10:20

I would like to listen to some online aboriginal/indigenous radio stations.
Can be either Australian, Canadian, Taiwanese, or any other countries with aboriginal/indigenous people(s)/First Nations/etc.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Saleem00

Re: Online aboriginal/indigenous radio?

Postby Saleem00 » 2018-04-19, 18:09

Up - I would like to find one to, preferably based in Austalia. I know that aboriginal/indigenous communities have their websites but do they have radio stations?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Online aboriginal/indigenous radio?

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-04-20, 3:33

Yes, there are several Australian Aboriginal radio stations, including Australian Indigenous Radio (AIR), the National Indigenous Radio Service (NIRS), Koori Radio, CAAMA Radio, and NITV Radio. There used to be a radio music program called Deadly Sounds. There are more details on some of these here.

XEJAM in Oaxaca (southern Mexico) is the first indigenous radio station that comes to mind for me. It broadcasts in Spanish, Amuzgo, Mixtec, and Chatino. XEJAM is just one of many indigenous Mexican radio stations, specifically the one in Oaxaca that's part of this list.

In central India, there is CGnet Swara, where indigenous people (Adivasis or "tribal people") can report news through their mobile phones and achieve change without having to deal with the bureaucracy.

Return to “Culture”