Currently listening thread

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Yasna
Currently listening thread

Postby Yasna » 2017-07-04, 5:27

For everything but folk music.

*Please embed no more than one or two videos per post in order to ease browsing.
Last edited by Yasna on 2018-09-04, 5:30, edited 3 times in total.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Yasna

Re: Modern music thread

Postby Yasna » 2017-07-04, 5:30

I love this song, but it's the music video that really blows me away. It's better than most movies.

Kygo, Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3VTKvdAuIY

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-07-04, 9:30

Ugh, folk music. That's for boomers. I mostly listen to electro. If it doesn't have a keyboard, I probably won't like it.

Some of my favs:

• Allie X
  • Annie
  • Austra
  • Björk
  • Carly Rae Jepsen
  • Charli XCX
  • CHVRCHES
  • Daft Punk
  • Demi Lovato
  • Dragonette
  • Ellie Goulding
  • Florence + the Machine
  • Goldfrapp
  • Grimes
  • Icona Pop
  • La Roux
  • Lady Gaga
  • Lana Del Rey
  • Lights
  • Little Boots
  • Little Dragon
  • Lorde
  • Madonna
  • Marina and the Diamonds
  • Metric
  • M.I.A.

• Peaches
  • Robyn
  • Róisín Murphy
  • Sia
  • Sky Ferreira
  • Tove Lo
  • Uffie
  • Yelle
Last edited by mōdgethanc on 2017-07-05, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-04, 23:56

mōdgethanc wrote:Ugh, folk music. That's for boomers.

Just because you don't like the kind of music I listen to doesn't mean you have to be ageist about it.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-07-05, 4:32

mōdgethanc wrote:Tove Lo

She has been making some great stuff. I especially like "Moments".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmlD08mdW40

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-07-05, 6:01

vijayjohn wrote:Just because you don't like the kind of music I listen to doesn't mean you have to be ageist about it.
I think you are using a different definition of folk music than me. From what I can tell, you mostly listen to what white people call world music. Folk music to me is stuff like Bob Dylan and other white people with acoustic guitars which was popular in the 1960s, ie. when boomers were young. I assumed that was what was meant by it because I don't read the other thread.
Yasna wrote:She has been making some great stuff. I especially like "Moments".
I'm a fan of that one too. Do you have Spotify?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-05, 6:17

mōdgethanc wrote:I assumed that was what was meant by it because I don't read the other thread.

Nope, jsyk when Yasna said:
The main music thread has been swamped by folk music

he meant "Vijay has been posting too much world music in that thread and I can't stand it and have been whining about it for at least two years, including once suggesting he should make a thread for his own song posts so I don't have to see them anymore." There is no Bob Dylan or any other kind of white North American folk music in that thread.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-07-05, 7:04

vijayjohn wrote:he meant "Vijay has been posting too much world music in that thread and I can't stand it and have been whining about it for at least two years, including once suggesting he should make a thread for his own song posts so I don't have to see them anymore." There is no Bob Dylan or any other kind of white North American folk music in that thread.
Well I didn't know that, and there is now a separate thread. Now everyone can be happy.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-05, 12:02

mōdgethanc wrote:Well I didn't know that, and there is now a separate thread. Now everyone can be happy.

Yes, I know that now. :) I just wanted to clarify what he was saying.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-07-05, 12:54

I do have to say that I don't like how posting a lot of YouTube videos takes up a lot of space per page and ironically makes it harder for me to read through these threads and find music I like. That was one problem I had with the other music thread. I prefer to just post the titles and look it up myself.

One artist I forgot to mention in my original post is M.I.A.; I got into her in 2012 or so and am now listening to her again. She's a Sri Lankan Tamil who lives in the UK. Her music is weird and hard to describe but has elements of hip-hop, electronica, and world music. She attracts a lot of controversy for her outspoken political views and trollish behaviour so needless to say, I love her.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-07-05, 13:14

mōdgethanc wrote:Folk music to me is stuff like Bob Dylan and other white people with acoustic guitars which was popular in the 1960s, ie. when boomers were young.

Then what would you call modern folk music? Most of the folk music I listen to was made in this century and is very far from "white people with acoustic guitars". English is woefully inaccurate when talking about folk music; Dutch has many different terms for different genres (a lot of them some kind of fusion with other genres) that are all just lumped together as "folk music" in English.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-07-05, 20:25

vijayjohn wrote:Nope, jsyk when Yasna said:
The main music thread has been swamped by folk music

he meant "Vijay has been posting too much world music in that thread and I can't stand it and have been whining about it for at least two years, including once suggesting he should make a thread for his own song posts so I don't have to see them anymore." There is no Bob Dylan or any other kind of white North American folk music in that thread.

Well now you're forcing me to set the record straight. First, name three examples of me "whining about it for years". Second, I did indeed find the proportion of songs posted by you excessive, and your taste in music catastrophic. And it's not as easy to ignore uninteresting posts as in a text-based thread. Finally, I used the term folk music because I think "world music" is ridiculous, Eurocentric marketing speak, and because your preferred music seems to fall under at least some definitions of folk music.

mōdgethanc wrote:I'm a fan of that one too. Do you have Spotify?

I rarely use it.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-07-05, 21:50

admin

Please remember to behave civilly.

2. Behavior and general rules
    2.1 General guidelines:
      • Be nice to other members and visitors to the forum.
      • Treat people the way you would want to be treated.
      • Be civil, show respect for other members and their views.
      • Use normal netiquette.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-05, 23:52

mōdgethanc wrote:She attracts a lot of controversy for her outspoken political views and trollish behaviour so needless to say, I love her.

Trollish behavior?
Aurinĭa wrote:Then what would you call modern folk music? Most of the folk music I listen to was made in this century and is very far from "white people with acoustic guitars". English is woefully inaccurate when talking about folk music; Dutch has many different terms for different genres (a lot of them some kind of fusion with other genres) that are all just lumped together as "folk music" in English.

I'm not sure this use of the term is any less problematic even from an English-speaking point of view. It seems to me that everything that isn't (usually instrumental) Western classical music and doesn't follow a style invented in the West within the previous century is lumped together as "folk music." I'm pretty sure I've even seen other kinds of classical music be called "folk music," not "classical music," which would make more sense. I would not be surprised even to see people who use the term "folk music" this way label pop music from other cultures as "folk music."

Also I think that's the sort of thing mōdgethanc would call "world music."

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-07-06, 3:15

I wouldn't call Indian classical music or something "folk music". I would call it classical music, the same way I wouldn't only refer to Latin and Greek as classical languages.
Yasna wrote:And it's not as easy to ignore uninteresting posts as in a text-based thread.
That's why I disliked the other thread and avoided it. It became bloated with videos of music I'm not interested in.
I rarely use it.
I think it's a great resource. It helps me organize my music collection and its recommendations are often good.
Aurinĭa wrote:Then what would you call modern folk music? Most of the folk music I listen to was made in this century and is very far from "white people with acoustic guitars". English is woefully inaccurate when talking about folk music; Dutch has many different terms for different genres (a lot of them some kind of fusion with other genres) that are all just lumped together as "folk music" in English.
I don't know what other languages call it. I would call modern folk music "folk music". I didn't mean to imply it's only limited to the 1960s; it existed before then and still exists. That was just the height of its popularity. Musicologists might use folk music in its broader meaning, but IME, folk music means music for middle-aged white people. Folk music of other cultures is called world music. I have to admit I don't care for folk music at any rate, so I'm not torn that my understanding of the term is inaccurate. I feel no woe about it whatsoever, trust me.
vijayjohn wrote:Trollish behavior
Needless to say she doesn't give a fuck what people think of her and her music, let alone her politics.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-06, 4:47

Ironically, the songs thread started out as a text-based thread, but then everybody started posting videos in it, all long before I joined. Also ironically, some of my favorite songs ever are not folk songs at all. They're Persian pop songs from LA. Yasna hates these songs. You probably do, too (or would if you heard them). I don't give two shits, so here they are!

Hassan Shojaee
Marde Tanha
Khak
Khuzestan
Dokhtaroon
Parastooha
Chang

Shahram and Shohreh Solati - Gole Bi Goldoon
Shohreh - Ayeneh
Shahram - To Ke Nisti
Shahram and Shohreh - Panjereha
Shahram - Maktabe Eshgh
Shohreh - Eshghe Avval
Shahram Kashani - Khaterkhah
Aref - Piri
Hassan Shamaizadeh - Ye Dokhtar Daram
Davood Behboodi - Mahtab
Siavash Shams - Dokhtar Irooni

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-07-06, 21:21

vijayjohn wrote:

I'm not sure this use of the term is any less problematic even from an English-speaking point of view. It seems to me that everything that isn't (usually instrumental) Western classical music and doesn't follow a style invented in the West within the previous century is lumped together as "folk music." I'm pretty sure I've even seen other kinds of classical music be called "folk music," not "classical music," which would make more sense. I would not be surprised even to see people who use the term "folk music" this way label pop music from other cultures as "folk music."

What specific use of the term are you referring to as problematic? Just like mōdgethanc, I don't just call everything that isn't a Western music style "folk music". Indian classical music isn't folk music, it's classical music. There's J-pop, K-pop,... and none of those I'd ever dream of calling folk music.

mōdgethanc wrote:IME, folk music means music for middle-aged white people

Here, folk music is more popular among twenty- and thirty-somethings.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-06, 23:30

Aurinĭa wrote:What specific use of the term are you referring to as problematic? Just like mōdgethanc, I don't just call everything that isn't a Western music style "folk music". Indian classical music isn't folk music, it's classical music. There's J-pop, K-pop,... and none of those I'd ever dream of calling folk music.

I don't know. By now I'm confused about what people mean by "folk music." Genres in general confuse me. I can't really imagine anyone calling J-pop or K-pop folk music, although I can kind of imagine this for some North Korean songs that I'm pretty sure are supposed to be pop songs.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-07-07, 0:11

vijayjohn wrote:By now I'm confused about what people mean by "folk music." Genres in general confuse me.

I agree with that, musical genres can be rather confusing. That was sort of why I wrote my previous post, mōdgethanc and I clearly interpret the label "folk music" differently. In general I don't really care what genre something is, what matters is whether I like it or not.

Return to “Culture”