Board games

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Prowler

Re: Board games

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-09, 18:28

Monopoly is the one I've played the most. Although I haven't played it in ages. I own 3 Monopoly editions:

- Euro edition
- Star Wars edition
- Benfica edition(my football club)

I occasionally play Chess but never really make much progress in it. Every 3-4 games I lose in an embarrassing faction to the lowest CPU difficulty level.

I got a Trivial Pursuit edition at home, but haven't touched it in years either. It's a fun game, though.

Oh and I've always hated Checkers.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-01-09, 19:11

Checkers is for people who can't play chess.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-09, 19:13

Oh, you mean like me. :lol:

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-09, 19:13

mōdgethanc wrote:Checkers is for people who can't play chess.

Well, I'm not exactly great at chess and yet suck way more at checkers.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-09, 19:14

mōdgethanc wrote:Checkers is for people who can't play chess.
In the same way that baseball is for people who can't play cricket?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-01-09, 19:55

linguoboy wrote:n the same way that baseball is for people who can't play cricket?
Not that I care about either, but yes.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-09, 21:06

mōdgethanc wrote:
linguoboy wrote:n the same way that baseball is for people who can't play cricket?
Not that I care about either, but yes.
Well, we Americans don't have all damn day to devote to your crazy mediaeval pastimes.

For me, the worst part about chess was realising you'd made a fatal mistake and being forced to play on--sometimes for an hour or more--before definitively losing. It was like being condemned to a slow death. But then I'm the sort of board game player who would rather jump into a game without having mastered all the rules, pick them up as I go along, and then play another game immediately after where I apply the lessons I learned from losing the first game.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-09, 21:23

linguoboy wrote:But then I'm the sort of board game player who would rather jump into a game without having mastered all the rules, pick them up as I go along, and then play another game immediately after where I apply the lessons I learned from losing the first game.

I think I am, too. This is a game that I've associated with my paternal cousins ever since my oldest cousin on that side of the family gave it to me one Christmas and a bunch of us started playing a few games of it almost immediately FWIR. I started developing the strategy I pretty much always use for that game now. I think something similar happened with carroms (which at one point my parents regularly played with my brother and me, even though I really sucked at it); after playing it lots of times, I finally decided that I don't care as much about winning as I want someone (doesn't even have to be me) to get that goddamn red piece in the middle of the board as early in the game as possible.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-01-10, 0:24

vijayjohn wrote:Oh, you mean like me. :lol:

And an Indian that can't play chess is like a Chinese that can't play ping pong, like me. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-10, 0:56

Youngfun wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Oh, you mean like me. :lol:

And an Indian that can't play chess is like a Chinese that can't play ping pong, like me. :lol:

Eh, ping pong is harder than it looks.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-10, 4:22

At ping pong I find it hard to resist the temptation of hitting the ball with all my might.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-01-10, 5:32

I find a lot of tabletop games to be a little overrated. I've never understood what the big deal was about Catan, and find D&D to be extremely boring. Munchkin is fun though.
linguoboy wrote:For me, the worst part about chess was realising you'd made a fatal mistake and being forced to play on--sometimes for an hour or more--before definitively losing. It was like being condemned to a slow death. But then I'm the sort of board game player who would rather jump into a game without having mastered all the rules, pick them up as I go along, and then play another game immediately after where I apply the lessons I learned from losing the first game.
Only beginners play that way. In any half-serious game, you not only have the option to resign at any time if you know you're losing, it's even expected if you have no chance of winning. Also, no chess game should take as long as an hour (partly because of the abovementioned rule, partly because once you get to the intermediate level the openings become rote and don't take very long).

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-01-10, 8:36

mōdgethanc wrote:I find a lot of tabletop games to be a little overrated. I've never understood what the big deal was about Catan, and find D&D to be extremely boring. Munchkin is fun though.

With boardgames it's after all the same as with books or movies -- lots of tastes out there. :)

We got ourselves Forbidden Island so we would have a short cooperative game to play. And yeah, it's pretty good, like a simplified version of Pandemic.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2015-01-10, 17:27

mōdgethanc wrote:I find a lot of tabletop games to be a little overrated. I've never understood what the big deal was about Catan, and find D&D to be extremely boring. Munchkin is fun though.
I enjoyed playing Munchkin, but I'm not sure how much repeat playing it can sustain. It seems to take one element from D&D, the hack'n'slash, and focus on that to the exclusion of all else. And, IME, the guys I know who quickly grew bored of D&D were the ones who focused on hack'n'slash to the exclusion of all else (such as setting, intrigue, and role-playing).

mōdgethanc wrote:Only beginners play that way.
Well, yes, but it takes no small investment of time and effort to transition from "beginner" to someone who knows when they're beat as opposed to someone who keeps thinking there's some tiny chance of turning the game around. The eventual rewards never seem to justify that kind of investment to me. It must be very different for someone who can stay interested in the game even while losing.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-01-10, 20:30

Forbidden Island is fun. I like cooperative games.
linguoboy wrote:I enjoyed playing Munchkin, but I'm not sure how much repeat playing it can sustain. It seems to take one element from D&D, the hack'n'slash, and focus on that to the exclusion of all else. And, IME, the guys I know who quickly grew bored of D&D were the ones who focused on hack'n'slash to the exclusion of all else (such as setting, intrigue, and role-playing).
What I found least interesting about D&D was the combat. Waiting for each player to make their move, calculate the probability of a hit, add up the damage and all that other crap is just so boring. At least Munchkin moves fast and has some humour to liven things up.
Well, yes, but it takes no small investment of time and effort to transition from "beginner" to someone who knows when they're beat as opposed to someone who keeps thinking there's some tiny chance of turning the game around. The eventual rewards never seem to justify that kind of investment to me. It must be very different for someone who can stay interested in the game even while losing.
That's true. I've been playing almost my whole life, so I take it for granted. In some cases there is a chance of turning things around, or at least getting a draw, but it depends on your opponent making a major blunder, so it's not worth trying most of the time.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-10, 20:35

I guess one of the things that turns off people from chess is getting beat by that asshole regional champion kid in their 8th grade class.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-13, 7:54

What turns me off from it is that it seems so complicated and nobody wants to play with me because I take forever to make a move even though I'm bound to lose anyway. :rotfl:

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2015-01-13, 18:24

vijayjohn wrote:What turns me off from it is that it seems so complicated and nobody wants to play with me because I take forever to make a move even though I'm bound to lose anyway. :rotfl:

I know that feel. I've signed up or a couple of online chess communities and I rarely could make a move in time in the latter stages of the game.

I guess there needs to be a time limit for each move to avoid games to drag out for months.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-13, 11:13

mōdgethanc wrote:Forbidden Island is fun. I like cooperative games.

Yeah, it has really proven to be. :) Short and cooperative and fun, just as we hoped.

Since Lada mentioned playing Arkham Horror a couple of times, it's been on my mind, and I finally remembered to check whether any libraries in the local system have it. Turns out they do, so I borrowed it, and now we're playing our first game (after the practice game). At first the rule book felt daunting in its length, but actually many of the game's mechanics are similar to some of our other games, so it wasn't that hard to learn. But we do still consult the booklet constantly. :P

We came so close to winning already, but the dice were cruel to us. Kate the Scientist could have closed the last gate on the board, but failed the dice throw, and so another gate opened. :x Joe the Private Eye has gone insane, but luckily Michael the Gangster has been using his Tommy Gun and killed a ton of monsters already. We still have a chance. :D :wink:

073.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Lada

Postby Lada » 2015-02-16, 10:25

Varislintu wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:Forbidden Island is fun. I like cooperative games.

Yeah, it has really proven to be. :) Short and cooperative and fun, just as we hoped.

I have Forbidden Desert, according to the reviews I've read it's more complicated and interesting than Island though it has the same or alike mechanics. However after playing 5 times in it, I got bored. My friends told me that it's possible to loose in this game especially if there are 2 players but we can't loose, even if we try :lol:

We came so close to winning already, but the dice were cruel to us.

So, who is the winner? :) Actually Arkham Horror is boring to me now. We've never lost the game and according to my experience it's impossible to do. Probably that's because my friends explained us rules while we were playing for the first time.

And there's a good game for the two players I really liked - it's called Mr. Jack.

Return to “Culture”