What song are you listening to right now? 3

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Naava
Forum Administrator
Re: What song are you listening to right now? 3

Postby Naava » 2018-02-15, 16:59

Eluveitie is a Swiss folk metal band, and many (maybe even the majority) of their lyrics are in Gaulish. I don't know where they've learnt the language or if their pronunciation/grammar are ok, but it's so cool!

FYI: the melody is from this song.

https://youtu.be/JYaQ4PZTN9c

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-02-15, 21:35

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-16, 6:29

Capracotta is another comune in the northern part of the Province of Isernia, almost on the other side of the province from Bagnoli del Trigno. This is a song and apparently a tarantella from Capracotta called "Famme cantare a me." The lyrics don't sound entirely like standard Italian to me personally, at least, so maybe it could instead be in the local variety of Molisan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0bASt81VHU

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-02-16, 20:16

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-18, 6:51

I know that song! It's great. :)

This is a folk song from Abruzzo, so I'm guessing it's in some variety of Abruzzese, which in turn is (like Molisan) a variety of Neapolitan. However, if it is indeed in Abruzzese, I have no idea which variety of Abruzzese it could be in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-N_CKjqjv8

h34

Postby h34 » 2018-02-18, 15:35

(ja) Chouchou - Anemone
http://youtu.be/11TcH-abToU

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-18, 20:58

This is a folk song called "La Ciociara." Ciociara is the name of an area in Central Italy in the southern part of the region of Lazio (Rome is located further north in Lazio) roughly corresponding to the province of Frosinone (in far south(east)ern Lazio). If I'm not much mistaken, this song is in a variety of Neapolitan spoken in Frosinone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggfSi4d4zVo

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-02-19, 20:30

Yeah, here ciociaro basically means someone from the rural areas surrounding Rome, regardless of their actual origin. :P
AFAIK, dialects in Southern Latium (that's the English name of Lazio! :twisted: ) are closer to Neapolitan compared to Romanesco, but aren't classified as "Neapolitan", i.e. Southern dialects, but as Median (?) dialects (dialetti mediani).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-19, 20:38

Wikipedia (in both English and Italian) seems to group Romanesco and those varieties together as "Central Italian (italiano centrale or mediano)," but considers them separate from Neapolitan. It makes sense that those varieties would be closer to Neapolitan, though, especially since they're pretty close to Naples.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-19, 20:39

"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-02-19, 20:41

vijayjohn wrote:Wikipedia (in both English and Italian) seems to group Romanesco and those varieties together as "Central Italian (italiano centrale or mediano)," but considers them separate from Neapolitan. It makes sense that those varieties would be closer to Neapolitan, though, especially since they're pretty close to Naples.

But in the previous post you wrote that a variety of Neapolitan was spoken in Frosinone. :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-19, 22:19

OldBoring wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Wikipedia (in both English and Italian) seems to group Romanesco and those varieties together as "Central Italian (italiano centrale or mediano)," but considers them separate from Neapolitan. It makes sense that those varieties would be closer to Neapolitan, though, especially since they're pretty close to Naples.

But in the previous post you wrote that a variety of Neapolitan was spoken in Frosinone. :hmm:

Yes, because not all the varieties of Lazio are dialetti mediani/italiano centrale/italiano mediano even by Wikipedia's standards. Frosinone is right next to Campania, where Naples also is. Neapolitan also extends into Frosinone, kind of like how it does into all of the regions of mainland Southern Italy and into Marche.

It's warm today, so today, I'm posting songs from Chad since it's almost the same temperature here as it is in N'Djamena. :P Daza(ga) is one of the many languages in the proposed Nilo-Saharan family and is spoken in a large area in northern Chad. Specifically, it is one of the Saharan languages. This is a song in Daza:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dNhX1coFGc

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-21, 4:14

Khoekhoe a.k.a. Khoekhoegowab or Nama is a language of the Khoe family spoken in Namibia, Botswana, and South Africa. It is the largest language (in terms of number of speakers) out of all the non-Bantu languages that have clicks (these non-Bantu languages, formerly called "Khoi-San/Khoisan languages," are where some of the Southern Bantu languages like Xhosa and Zulu got their clicks). In fact, there are more consonants in Khoekhoe that are clicks than there are consonants that are not. It is a national language in Namibia. This is a song in Khoekhoe called "#Neisa go #noa" meaning 'shot a dove'. (#n is a click, I think a dental nasal click, though I'm not absolutely sure about the place of articulation). The lyrics can be found in the video description with a translation into English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykaUPKwj1Wo

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-02-21, 8:07

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-22, 4:33

Marchigiano is a variety of Central italian spoken in the middle of Marche, a region just east of Tuscany, north of Abruzzo, and south of Emilia-Romagna and San Marino. This is a song (a fairly bawdy song, if I'm not much mistaken...) called "Su e giù" (up and down) that's apparently in Marchigiano or at least presumably comes from Marche, though I'm not quite sure how the lyrics (in the video) differ from Standard Italian apart from lacking a few of the e's at the end of some words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adigyj-QSdw

h34

Postby h34 » 2018-02-22, 22:29

(lv) Valdis Atāls - Ūdens mantra
http://youtu.be/_q11CJP0Kac

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-23, 4:14

Emilian(o)-Romagnol(o) is a Gallo-Italic language spoken in Emilia-Romagna and various other nearby regions of Italy as well as in San Marino. There are two varieties of Emilian-Romagnol, namely Emilian and Romagnol. This is apparently a traditional lullaby in Romagnol by "Fonola band":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCpp0r7jM14

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-02-24, 0:14

2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-24, 5:14

Ferrarese is a variety of Emilian spoken in the Province of Ferrara in the northeastern part of Emilia-Romagna and in the southern part of Veneto, the region just north of the Province of Ferrara whose capital is Venice. This is a song in Ferrarese called "Dai Marietta to la bicicleta":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzb7XhCZ00I

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-02-25, 11:47

vijayjohn wrote:a fairly bawdy song

Yeah. :lol:
how the lyrics (in the video) differ from Standard Italian apart from lacking a few of the e's at the end of some words

Deleting the final vowel is a phenomenon called troncamento in Italian, and is quite common especially in poetry and songs. Amor and andar could be considered Standard Italian too.
Consonants allowed to be at the end of the word in Italian: m, n, l, r.

Central Italian is quite close to Standard Italian, so perhaps this song is really in marchigiano, or in a watered-down version, that is Standard Italian with some Marchigiano words and grammatical structures. In fact most of the song is very close to how people in Rome too or in the rest of Central Italy would speak informal Italian.

Let's see some differences:

so: the video writes "so", that's a common Central Italian truncation of "sono". But I actually hear "son", so a normal troncamento that could occur in Standard Italian too.
non se tocca: "se" instead of "si" as a clitic.
na grotta, na valle, na stanza: "na" instead of "una".
panza: pancia

I could imagine myself talking like that with the above words.

Below some words that I don't use and are probably typical of the Marchigiano speech:

te crocchio: this is probably the only word I'd say is typical Marchigiano. In Romanesco we say "te corco".
'mmoscia: probably "ammoscia".
fatiga: fatica
capida: capita

Return to “Culture”