Game Of Thrones

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Luís
Forum Administrator
Re: Game Of Thrones

Postby Luís » 2017-08-21, 21:08

WTF?

Ok, the ice dragon seems to be pretty cool, but how on earth does a message go from beyond the Wall to Dragonstone, Daenerys gets to read it and then decides to fly there with her dragons in just over a day? Unless ravens (not to mention Gendry) are supersonic.

Also, for a show that has gotten us used to having main characters die, how many times can Jon escape death in a single episode? Too much deus ex machina going on.

I'm sure things would be more consistent if GRRM has finished his books already (like the first few seasons were)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-08-21, 21:25

Luís wrote:Ok, the ice dragon seems to be pretty cool, but how on earth does a message go from beyond the Wall to Dragonstone, Daenerys gets to read it and then decides to fly there with her dragons in just over a day? Unless ravens (not to mention Gendry) are supersonic.

How far is it from Dragonstone to the Wall?
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-21, 21:39

Yasna wrote:
Luís wrote:Ok, the ice dragon seems to be pretty cool, but how on earth does a message go from beyond the Wall to Dragonstone, Daenerys gets to read it and then decides to fly there with her dragons in just over a day? Unless ravens (not to mention Gendry) are supersonic.

How far is it from Dragonstone to the Wall?

Westeros is supposed to be about 4000 miles from top to bottom (GRRM once mentioned it was about the size of South America). So from the Wall to Dragonstone it should be at least 2000 miles, if not more. I'm not sure how fast a raven or a dragon can fly, but it still seems like a stretch.

By land it's a month's ride from Winterfell to King's Landing (we know that from the first book).

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-08-21, 21:46

Luís wrote:Westeros is supposed to be about 4000 miles from top to bottom (GRRM once mentioned it was about the size of South America). So from the Wall to Dragonstone it should be at least 2000 miles, if not more. I'm not sure how fast a raven or a dragon can fly, but it still seems like a stretch.

I see. I had always assumed Westeros was about the size of Great Britain.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-21, 21:53

Yasna wrote:
Luís wrote:Westeros is supposed to be about 4000 miles from top to bottom (GRRM once mentioned it was about the size of South America). So from the Wall to Dragonstone it should be at least 2000 miles, if not more. I'm not sure how fast a raven or a dragon can fly, but it still seems like a stretch.

I see. I had always assumed Westeros was about the size of Great Britain.

Much bigger.

Here's Westeros (not including the part beyond the Wall) and Essos superimposed over a map of North America.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2017-08-21, 22:02

So the White Walkers only have to walk the length of a Canadian province. :silly:

But yeah, in the last episode I didn't really like this "lemme hop onto my dragon, it only takes 5 mins to get there" thing. I mean, maybe it took a whole day, 'cause the water also froze in the meantine, but the way the episode was cut made it seem like she did it in no-time.

And another thing I totally didn't understand is why did the Night King choose to attach that particular dragon that was flying al over the place instead of the one that Daeny was sitting on. Like it seemed to me that it would have been a much easier target. :?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-22, 15:07

They told me a raven would take 4 days to do the travel/trip/traject.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-10-07, 15:51

I am so sad this season is over :(

I am pretty certain we are gonna get a Targling next season after epicboatsex in the finale and Dany mentioning twenty thousand times she can't get pregnant, so I think a baby is definitely coming. Dany and Jon are so cute together though I wish this happened earlier in the show.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-10-07, 17:50

:yep:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-10-07, 20:47

I was disappointed because nobody important and belonging in the "good team" died. That was so un-GoT-ish.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-10-08, 4:45

IpseDixit wrote:I was disappointed because nobody important and belonging in the "good team" died. That was so un-GoT-ish.

I think because it is coming to a close all the major deaths will be next season.

I think maybe more of them should have died during the wight hunt, I think the could have killed Tormund, Jorah, Beric, and the hound and made it a huge bloodbath, but I guess they are saving it for next season.

Also another random thought during the finale:

WTF was wrong with Tyrion during the Dany/Jon epicboatsex scene?? Just last season Tyrion was telling her she needed to break up with Daario because she''d likely have to go to a political alliance. And in the episode before then he
was telling Dany how in love Jon was with her but he is all of the sudden mad she hooked up with him? It makes no sense. I am wondering if he made a deal with Cersei or something? Because it made no sense. Oh and another random thing is that I hate how LF and the whole Winterfell plot was handled. It was so stupid. Littlefinger deserved better, I hated him and wanted him dead, but he should have had a better death.
अहिंसा/เจ

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-10-08, 23:18

It seemed they tried to solve things in a hurry before next season.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-10-09, 1:30

Osias wrote:It seemed they tried to solve things in a hurry before next season.

Yeah I really don't think it should have been 7 episodes. It should have been 10. So much was glossed over.
अहिंसा/เจ

Return to “Culture”