Eating habits

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

User avatar
france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 4220
Joined: 2016-01-02, 19:41
Gender: female
Location: France
Country: FR France (France)

Re: Eating habits

Postby france-eesti » 2019-10-07, 9:55

I love waterzooi but I also make wafles when the kids are here :) I'd like to learn more Belgian dishes with fish, and also with beer - do you have some tips for me?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

User avatar
Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator
Posts: 3830
Joined: 2008-05-14, 21:18
Country: BE Belgium (België / Belgique)

Re: Eating habits

Postby Aurinĭa » 2019-10-07, 16:22

The traditional dish with beer is stoofvlees, but I can't remember if you eat meat? Other than that, I'd have to think. I'm not a great cook, and the person who does most of the cooking at home is British, not Belgian. If I think of something, I'll let you know.

User avatar
france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 4220
Joined: 2016-01-02, 19:41
Gender: female
Location: France
Country: FR France (France)

Re: Eating habits

Postby france-eesti » 2019-10-07, 19:21

Thanks! Yes I know "carbonade", and you're right, I don't eat meat... Which is why I was wondering, is there a vegetarian alternative, or at least something with fish? :D
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 6053
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Milan
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Eating habits

Postby OldBoring » 2019-10-09, 6:16

france-eesti wrote:Thanks! Yes I know "carbonade", and you're right, I don't eat meat... Which is why I was wondering, is there a vegetarian alternative, or at least something with fish? :D

Moules-frites!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 25188
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Eating habits

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-09, 6:25

That's not fish, but maybe it'll work. :D
france-eesti wrote:Interesting stuff :)

Thanks!
At home we usually have lunch in the kitchen, listening to music

I used to do that when I was younger (particularly with old Malayalam movie songs). I think my dad got me to stop doing it.
I like it when we're 5 (us 3 + my husband's children), it makes the tiny kitchen table crowdy :D

I'd say when there are five of us (the three of us +...)...table crowded.

User avatar
france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 4220
Joined: 2016-01-02, 19:41
Gender: female
Location: France
Country: FR France (France)

Re: Eating habits

Postby france-eesti » 2019-10-09, 6:52

Haha I love your culture OldBoring! Sadly potatoes are forbidden :silly:
And moules, no one likes except me so... Kind of unpopular! :D
I dislike eating in complete silence.... I find it oppressing... Even if we are in cheerful conversation, I'd rather have some background music - reggae or jazz or film music or (my best choice) swing!

Thanks for your tip Vijay! :partyhat:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

ppermatasari
Posts: 1
Joined: 2019-10-16, 12:56
Real Name: Pipit permatasari
Gender: female

Re: Eating habits in Indonesia

Postby ppermatasari » 2019-10-16, 13:08

In my country,mostly moslem,we eat a halal food,we not eat pork nor drink alchohol. In some city,we usually eat with hand.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 25188
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Eating habits

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-05, 4:20

bitcohen wrote:Donair
Butter Tarts

Sxusem (soapberry "ice cream")

I learned some new words!
holopchi

Ukrainian cabbage rolls?

User avatar
Gormur
Posts: 8180
Joined: 2005-05-17, 1:11
Real Name: Gormur
Gender: male
Country: CU Cuba (Cuba)
Contact:

Re: Eating habits

Postby Gormur » 2020-01-13, 17:51

Hm I guess peoples' food-habits are kind of a personal thing. :para: As for me, I'm straight forward (or a straight shooter :lol: ). The only kind of food i won't touch is tangy. That means ranch-style or anything with several flavors in it. I get queasy :whistle:

Time: Breakfast 06~11:52 (i once was told brunch came after this)
Dinner 14:00
Supper 19:00 (a rarity for me to have on a Friday night :hmm: )

Nowadays it's mostly just the midday meal. Some days i go with nothing then gorge on the feast
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 24551
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Eating habits

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-22, 18:05

Gormur wrote:Time: Breakfast 06~11:52 (i once was told brunch came after this)

That's...oddly precise.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Gormur
Posts: 8180
Joined: 2005-05-17, 1:11
Real Name: Gormur
Gender: male
Country: CU Cuba (Cuba)
Contact:

Re: Eating habits

Postby Gormur » 2020-01-23, 1:15

I guess OT. Maybe others have food allergies too. Mine are weird. Egg, wheat/rye regarding celiac disease and any kind of squash. Gluten is odd for me. Beer is perfectly fine but any kind of solid food (bread) will not work itself out of me for a while. Last time with blood. :?

Another one, lastly I don't deal with apples as they give me the runs - I never have been so violently ill after drinking hard cider
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

User avatar
Varislintu
Posts: 15404
Joined: 2004-02-09, 13:32
Real Name: M.
Gender: female
Location: Espoo
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Eating habits

Postby Varislintu » 2021-02-01, 12:17

Gormur wrote:Another one, lastly I don't deal with apples as they give me the runs - I never have been so violently ill after drinking hard cider


Yikes, that's surprising. Apples are so basic. It's almost the only fruit I eat, because it's the only fruit grown in Finland to a larger degree. I supplement with berries. When I was pregnant, the only craving I had was occasionally for apples, and I ate like 4-5 per day at one point.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

User avatar
Car
Forum Administrator
Posts: 10765
Joined: 2002-06-21, 19:24
Real Name: Silvia
Gender: female
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)
Contact:

Re: Eating habits

Postby Car » 2021-02-02, 12:08

Varislintu wrote:
Gormur wrote:Another one, lastly I don't deal with apples as they give me the runs - I never have been so violently ill after drinking hard cider


Yikes, that's surprising. Apples are so basic. It's almost the only fruit I eat, because it's the only fruit grown in Finland to a larger degree. I supplement with berries. When I was pregnant, the only craving I had was occasionally for apples, and I ate like 4-5 per day at one point.

As a child, I really couldn't eat apples at all. When my grandparents still lived elsewhere, they'd make apples for us on the way back, except it wasn't such a good idea. Even nowadays, that still is a problem, but not that bad. It's the same for apple juice. I really like apples, but unlike grated apples (which have the opposite effect), it's just not a good idea. Same with artificial sweeteners (not all of them), except in that case, it still is as bad as it was when I was a child. And yeah, apples really are so basic, so it really isn't great, especially since I'm not allowed to eat other fruits I like for dietary reasons.
Please correct my mistakes!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 25188
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Eating habits

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-02-02, 17:21

I honestly don't care much for apples unless maybe they're mealy. I like apple juice, apple cider, and applesauce, though.

Kashmiris also cook apples with eggplant, which tastes pretty good, though mostly because it uses a lot of oil (well, a lot by my family's standards since we use so little that if we used less, our food would stick to the pan). :P

User avatar
Varislintu
Posts: 15404
Joined: 2004-02-09, 13:32
Real Name: M.
Gender: female
Location: Espoo
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Eating habits

Postby Varislintu » 2021-02-04, 14:40

Car wrote:As a child, I really couldn't eat apples at all. When my grandparents still lived elsewhere, they'd make apples for us on the way back, except it wasn't such a good idea. Even nowadays, that still is a problem, but not that bad. It's the same for apple juice. I really like apples, but unlike grated apples (which have the opposite effect), it's just not a good idea. Same with artificial sweeteners (not all of them), except in that case, it still is as bad as it was when I was a child. And yeah, apples really are so basic, so it really isn't great, especially since I'm not allowed to eat other fruits I like for dietary reasons.


I didn't know apples could be such a problem for people's digestion. Except dried apple rings: I recently got into them big time, but had to back away because they messed up my digestion...

vijayjohn wrote:I honestly don't care much for apples unless maybe they're mealy. I like apple juice, apple cider, and applesauce, though.


I think apples are a bit like potatoes, though, in that there are many kinds and many qualities. An apple can be horrible junk, as can a potato. They can also both be absolutely delicious.
Last edited by Varislintu on 2021-02-04, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 6053
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Milan
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Eating habits

Postby OldBoring » 2021-02-04, 14:52

My brother doesn't eat apples. Every time he eats apples, he has a sore throat.
My wife doesn't eat apples and pears, because when growing up that's the fruit that her parents bought every time, and she has this childhood trauma.

User avatar
Varislintu
Posts: 15404
Joined: 2004-02-09, 13:32
Real Name: M.
Gender: female
Location: Espoo
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Eating habits

Postby Varislintu » 2021-02-04, 15:58

OldBoring wrote:My wife doesn't eat apples and pears, because when growing up that's the fruit that her parents bought every time, and she has this childhood trauma.


Haha, I know that feeling. Hello, "klementines" (a variety of mandarins sold here under that name)! My father was a veritable klementine addict, and he'd peel them, 3-5 in a row, and then touch stuff and then everything would smell of that specific citrus smell, even the poor dog. I can't stand it, not then, not now, nohow. I can only eat the 'satsuma' variety.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

User avatar
Car
Forum Administrator
Posts: 10765
Joined: 2002-06-21, 19:24
Real Name: Silvia
Gender: female
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)
Contact:

Re: Eating habits

Postby Car » 2021-02-04, 16:43

Varislintu wrote:I think apples are a bit like potatoes, though, in that there are many kinds and many qualities. An apple can be horrible junk, as can a potato. They can also both be absolutely delicious.

Yes, absolutely. We try to buy the same kind of apples, but some are really juicy and yummy and some others not so much. The smell is diferent, too.

Varislintu wrote:Haha, I know that feeling. Hello, "klementines" (a variety of mandarins sold here under that name)! My father was a veritable klementine addict, and he'd peel them, 3-5 in a row, and then touch stuff and then everything would smell of that specific citrus smell, even the poor dog. I can't stand it, not then, not now, nohow. I can only eat the 'satsuma' variety.

Oh, yeah, the smell of Clementinen (as well call them) really isn't pleasant at all. I hated having my finger smell like that afterwards, so I prefer not to eat them.
Please correct my mistakes!

User avatar
Varislintu
Posts: 15404
Joined: 2004-02-09, 13:32
Real Name: M.
Gender: female
Location: Espoo
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Eating habits

Postby Varislintu » 2021-02-06, 9:53

Car wrote:Yes, absolutely. We try to buy the same kind of apples, but some are really juicy and yummy and some others not so much. The smell is diferent, too.


And the size is a factor, too. I prefer Finnish apples for many reasons but one is that they are smallish. The cultivated, maxed out apples from big brands are handy for cooking, but too big for me for eating raw. I can't eat a whole Granny Smith, for exampe, it just gets tedious. (Not trying to say Finnish apples are the best in the world, more like out of the selection in supermarkets here, they are the best.)

Car wrote:Oh, yeah, the smell of Clementinen (as well call them) really isn't pleasant at all. I hated having my finger smell like that afterwards, so I prefer not to eat them.


Wonderful, finally someone who feels the same! There's something in the undertone of their smell, almost like a slight hint of rot.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

User avatar
Car
Forum Administrator
Posts: 10765
Joined: 2002-06-21, 19:24
Real Name: Silvia
Gender: female
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)
Contact:

Re: Eating habits

Postby Car » 2021-02-06, 10:07

Varislintu wrote:
Car wrote:Yes, absolutely. We try to buy the same kind of apples, but some are really juicy and yummy and some others not so much. The smell is diferent, too.


And the size is a factor, too. I prefer Finnish apples for many reasons but one is that they are smallish. The cultivated, maxed out apples from big brands are handy for cooking, but too big for me for eating raw. I can't eat a whole Granny Smith, for exampe, it just gets tedious. (Not trying to say Finnish apples are the best in the world, more like out of the selection in supermarkets here, they are the best.)


Yes, some apples are handy for cooking, but not so great for eating raw indeed. Yeah, I feel that way about strawberries here. The local ones, particularly from the strawberry stands just taste better than the imported ones at the beginning or end of the season. They probably are fine over there, but not really here. I assume transporting them across Europe (or from beyond) doesn't help either.

Car wrote:Oh, yeah, the smell of Clementinen (as well call them) really isn't pleasant at all. I hated having my finger smell like that afterwards, so I prefer not to eat them.


Wonderful, finally someone who feels the same! There's something in the undertone of their smell, almost like a slight hint of rot.


I just don't get why they're so popular.
Please correct my mistakes!


Return to “Culture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest