Eating habits

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

mōdgethanc
Re: Eating habits

Postby mōdgethanc » 2022-03-08, 20:51

Dip your hand in it? Really? Or are you pulling my leg here?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-03-08, 21:16

mōdgethanc wrote:Dip your hand in it? Really?

Yep.

I mean, not necessarily your whole hand. But yes.
Or are you pulling my leg here?

Nope. This is a thing we do.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-03-08, 22:25

[animated gif from Whatsapp of blond guy who looks like Rubens Barrichello blinking confused]
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

awrui

Postby awrui » 2022-03-08, 23:01

mōdgethanc wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
Yes! We do! We eat everything with our hands, even liquid foods.
How does this work if it's liquid?

If it's some kind of soup, I just take the bigger chunks with my fingers and drink the broth from the bowl. If it's small chunks, you can drink it right away. Eating rice or beans or other stuff with yout fingers is just about practice and technique. Once you have the technique, your fingers will almost not be dirty at all. When it comes to saucy things, they are usually served with something that helps you eat- bread, rice, fufu, or so.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2022-03-09, 13:41

I can't fathom eating soup with my fingers. It's too unfamiliar to me. If there's bread or rice or something to soak up the liquid, maybe that'd work.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-03-09, 17:46

mōdgethanc wrote:I can't fathom eating soup with my fingers. It's too unfamiliar to me. If there's bread or rice or something to soak up the liquid, maybe that'd work.

For me I think the issue is that soup is best when served hot. Ideally, it should be almost too hot to eat when it hits the table, and I'd burn my fingers trying to scoop anything out of it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2022-03-10, 13:48

Same. I'd like to be hot so that it doesn't go cold by the time I'm done eating it. That works a lot better while eating it with a spoon.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-03-11, 18:47

I don't remember whether I've mentioned this or not, but whenever I went to India and ate a meal, especially at my grandmother's house where we'd spend most of our time in India every time we visited, everything was watery. I swear at least 60% of what we were consuming at every meal was just water (no wonder why I lost so much weight every time we went there!). The rice was watery, the curries were watery, the vegetables were watery, the pickles were watery, the fish was watery, the meat was watery, the yogurt was watery, even the salt and sugar were watery. The sugar was also likely to be covered with ants. Anything made out of any kind of fruit, including banana chips, was likely to be covered with ants as well. At least fried foods were not watery, though I think still kind of damp.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-03-11, 20:10

Soon the ministry of tourism from India or something will arrive at this forum demanding you delete your post.

ANYWAY, this is the complete opposite of everything I heard in my life, I mean, things like people coming back (a lot) fatter from grandma's because her food is so good and all.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-03-11, 21:26

Osias wrote:Soon the ministry of tourism from India or something will arrive at this forum demanding you delete your post.

Well, I did also have aunts in India who used to make much better food!
ANYWAY, this is the complete opposite of everything I heard in my life, I mean, things like people coming back (a lot) fatter from grandma's because her food is so good and all.

My grandma hated cooking! In fact, she never even did the cooking whenever I visited her; the maid did. It wasn't until my dad started living on his own that he discovered that food could taste good.

Return to “Culture”