Eating habits

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator
Re: Eating habits

Postby Aurinĭa » 2015-08-15, 19:59

But the problem is that sometimes I don't eat yoghurt for several weeks, so any filmjölk I'd have would have gone off by the time I'd want to eat some again. Getting a new packet of youghurt costs me €0,59/l and about 15 min total. To do the same for filmjölk, though, would cost about €15 to €20 and several hours.

Johanna wrote:Also, no machine needed :)

The machine keeps the milk at a consistent temperature for as long as is needed.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-08-15, 20:07

Johanna wrote:And to add to the confusion, filmjölk is the longer, more official name for the product, fil is what you'll hear in everyday speech... Is your fil our långfil maybe? To us it's a kind of filmjölk, like how Greek yoghurt is definitely yoghurt but still different from the regular kind.

I stumbled upon the word långfil while looking into this, but I'm not personally familiar with what kind of product it refers to. But I think our fil is different from your fil. Our fil/viili is traditionally elastic, which I think your fil is not.

Elastic like this.

Nowadays there are versions of fil/viili that are less elastic and more like mildly gelatinous, like this. (The separated piece holds shape and the pit doesn't fill up.)

However, as can be noticed, viili in Finnish is clearly a loanword from Swedish fil, so there's been some kind of connection/influence from Sweden at some point.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-08-15, 20:24

Varislintu wrote:
Johanna wrote:And to add to the confusion, filmjölk is the longer, more official name for the product, fil is what you'll hear in everyday speech... Is your fil our långfil maybe? To us it's a kind of filmjölk, like how Greek yoghurt is definitely yoghurt but still different from the regular kind.

I stumbled upon the word långfil while looking into this, but I'm not personally familiar with what kind of product it refers to. But I think our fil is different from your fil. Our fil/viili is traditionally elastic, which I think your fil is not.

Elastic like this.

Nowadays there are versions of fil/viili that are less elastic and more like mildly gelatinous, like this. (The separated piece holds shape and the pit doesn't fill up.)

However, as can be noticed, viili in Finnish is clearly a loanword from Swedish fil, so there's been some kind of connection/influence from Sweden at some point.

That looks a lot like our långfil :) Keep in mind that I have only encountered it once or twice in my life though.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-04, 2:34

vijayjohn wrote:Interesting! These days, I tend to have only two meals a day. I'm not even sure what exactly to call them. :lol: The first one is usually around noon and can be any of the following:

• two bolillos with spoon-size shredded wheat with bran (I just eat it right out of the box :lol:) and a cup of, uhh, "tea" (the way little Indian kids drink it, so it's mostly just milk :lol:),
  • two wheat tortillas with a bowl of yellow split peas (so chapatis and dal :P) and a cup of tea, or
  • two bagels (usually raisin bagels, occasionally blueberry bagels) with a big glass of cold milk.

Occasionally, it can be something else instead.

Now that I actually have a 9-to-6 job, this is what I eat for dinner. For lunch, I eat a rather substantial meal, but what exactly that is is highly variable and depends on whatever my dad chooses to make me. It is usually not specifically Indian food. (Today, it was homemade bulgogi with rice and some kimchi he bought at H-Mart).

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-01-04, 8:42

I love Kimchi! Wow this is delicious! :D I wish I could make some but it seems complicated!
I also have a 9-to-6 job and usually have light breakfast (vegetables, and 10 gr of bread), very light lunch as I'm not hungry at 13:00 (about 150 gr of vegetables, a tiny fruit) and usually have bigger dinner (vegetables and a bit of fish).
And of course I eat lighter if I don't do my 12 km a day in bike :lol:
Can't you make your own food for lunch? So you can decide what you eat :-) every Sunday I cook weekly food for my husband and myself :partyhat:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Gadano

Postby Gadano » 2019-01-04, 12:49

Kimchi! One of my favorites! :D
Polish teacher from Warsaw :)

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2019-02-02, 17:14

I'm still getting used to the idea that there's a lot of people in the world who have dinner at like 17h00. I guess they have a smaller meal around 21h00 before bed time or so?

Always assumed 19h-20h was standard time to have dinner everywhere...

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2019-02-02, 17:56

Prowler wrote:I'm still getting used to the idea that there's a lot of people in the world who have dinner at like 17h00. I guess they have a smaller meal around 21h00 before bed time or so?

My schoolmate's family had dinner at 16 when she was a kid. Even I thought that was early, but I guess they skipped the snack time/coffee around 14-15 my family had. In a way it made sense because we had lunch at school at 10.30...

And yes, most people have (at least here) something called "evening snack" around 20-22 that is usually bread, fruits, yoghurt, stuff like that - I used to have porridge when I was a kid. I called it "night porridge" and, according to mum, refused to go to bed without having it first. :mrgreen:

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2019-02-02, 18:22

Naava wrote:
Prowler wrote:I'm still getting used to the idea that there's a lot of people in the world who have dinner at like 17h00. I guess they have a smaller meal around 21h00 before bed time or so?

My schoolmate's family had dinner at 16 when she was a kid. Even I thought that was early, but I guess they skipped the snack time/coffee around 14-15 my family had. In a way it made sense because we had lunch at school at 10.30...

And yes, most people have (at least here) something called "evening snack" around 20-22 that is usually bread, fruits, yoghurt, stuff like that - I used to have porridge when I was a kid. I called it "night porridge" and, according to mum, refused to go to bed without having it first. :mrgreen:

Lunch at 10h30?! At what time did you have breakfast, then? 5-6AM?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-02, 18:32

Eating at 1700 hours is something I associate with older people who are likely to be in bed well before 2100 hours.

Growing up we ate at 1800 hours and had to be in bed before 2100. That really wasn't long enough to get hungry again. My father grew up on a farm and was used to waking at about 0500.

My husband would dine with me between 1800 and 1900, be in bed between 2000 and 2100, and then get up around 2300 for a snack. (He was up by 0430 the next morning.) I tend to fall asleep around 2300 myself so I tend to eat between 1900 and 2000. I find waiting until after 2200 to eat intolerable.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2019-02-02, 19:05

Prowler wrote:Lunch at 10h30?! At what time did you have breakfast, then? 5-6AM?

7 AM, although some might have had it earlier if they lived far away from school or used the school taxi. (The taxi was meant for those who either lived in places where the buses didn't go or who had some handicap that made taking a bus or riding a bike to school impossible/dangerous to them. This meant the taxi route was quite long, and if you were the first one to be picked up, you had to sit and wait for others for more than half an hour at worst.)

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2019-02-02, 19:33

linguoboy wrote:Eating at 1700 hours is something I associate with older people who are likely to be in bed well before 2100 hours.

Growing up we ate at 1800 hours and had to be in bed before 2100. That really wasn't long enough to get hungry again. My father grew up on a farm and was used to waking at about 0500.

My husband would dine with me between 1800 and 1900, be in bed between 2000 and 2100, and then get up around 2300 for a snack. (He was up by 0430 the next morning.) I tend to fall asleep around 2300 myself so I tend to eat between 1900 and 2000. I find waiting until after 2200 to eat intolerable.

I cannot imagine myself going to bed before 22h00 unless I woke up at like 5AM that day in order to catch a flight or something. So yeah, I associate early bed times with old people as well.

That early? I usually went to bed around 22h00-23h00 when I was a kid. Sometimes at around 21h30 or so if I was too tired since in 7th grade or so I had a day or two a week where my mum had to wake me up at 6h45 to take me to school because she started work earlier(she was a teacher) and thus had to drop me at my school and then go to her school afterwards. Naturally, an 11-12 year old kid like I was at the time, was gonna be tired around 21h00-21h30 on a day they woke up at 06h45.

By the time I was a bit older(let's say, 14 years old), I was allowed to stay up until midnight on Friday nights or during summer, Christmas and Easter school breaks . Plus, when I was a kid I was already oversleeping on weekends and school breaks until 11h00 or noon.

The latest I might have dinner is at 21h00-21h30. Past 22h00 is just too late. Having dinner at 22h00-23h00 is something I associate with Spaniards stereotypically speaking. That's a stereotype I've always heard about them. Not sure if it's accurate, though.

Tbh, even if in some countries or places people tend to eat dinner or lunch at certain hours, that stops applying once they get a job or go to school where their schedule no longer allows them to have dinner at like 17h00. Not to mention a lot of young people nowadays often have irregular sleep patterns due to being addicted to the internet and online gaming.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-02, 21:23

What time did school start for you? For most of my adolescence I was waking up at 0630 to go to school. When I was very young, I’d get up a half hour earlier than that and do my homework in the morning.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2019-02-03, 13:40

linguoboy wrote:What time did school start for you? For most of my adolescence I was waking up at 0630 to go to school. When I was very young, I’d get up a half hour earlier than that and do my homework in the morning.

Well, I never did my homework in the morning before going to school. Always did it in the day(s) before or during the weekend.

Usually it started around 9h00 or so? 08h30 was considered quite early to start iirc. In HS I had some classes at 08h00 though. That was pretty early.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-03, 14:34

It wasn’t until college that the day started that late for me. When I was younger, the usual start time was 0815. At one of my grade schools, we had to go to mass before classes and that started at 0730.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2019-02-03, 15:39

linguoboy wrote:It wasn’t until college that the day started that late for me. When I was younger, the usual start time was 0815. At one of my grade schools, we had to go to mass before classes and that started at 0730.

And I thought starting school at 08h00 was too early already. Having Philosophy classes at 8h30 could be a bit tough, especially if I didn't sleep too well the night before. Fortunately I had those on Tuesdays and not Mondays, so it could have been worse.

At uni I mostly had classes starting at around 13h00-14h00.

Mass before classes? Did you attend a Catholic school or something like that? Or is that a thing in some parts of USA?

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2019-02-03, 17:07

:shock: no morning class at the uni?

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2019-02-03, 18:37

OldBoring wrote::shock: no morning class at the uni?

A few but generally didn't have many. I guess it depends on the uni. At my uni I feel like half the bachelor degrees had mostly morning classes and the other half mostly afternoon ones.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-20, 5:37

linguoboy wrote:Eating at 1700 hours is something I associate with older people who are likely to be in bed well before 2100 hours.

I think I used to have tea and snacks with my family around this time when I was growing up. There were probably times when we were visiting relatives or something and we ended up having to eat a full meal around that time, though.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-25, 10:56

We usually eat our evening meal around 5-6pm (a.k.a. 17-1800). :P

Return to “Culture”