Eating habits

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Re: Eating habits

Postby Aurinĭa » 2015-08-15, 19:59

But the problem is that sometimes I don't eat yoghurt for several weeks, so any filmjölk I'd have would have gone off by the time I'd want to eat some again. Getting a new packet of youghurt costs me €0,59/l and about 15 min total. To do the same for filmjölk, though, would cost about €15 to €20 and several hours.

Johanna wrote:Also, no machine needed :)

The machine keeps the milk at a consistent temperature for as long as is needed.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-08-15, 20:07

Johanna wrote:And to add to the confusion, filmjölk is the longer, more official name for the product, fil is what you'll hear in everyday speech... Is your fil our långfil maybe? To us it's a kind of filmjölk, like how Greek yoghurt is definitely yoghurt but still different from the regular kind.

I stumbled upon the word långfil while looking into this, but I'm not personally familiar with what kind of product it refers to. But I think our fil is different from your fil. Our fil/viili is traditionally elastic, which I think your fil is not.

Elastic like this.

Nowadays there are versions of fil/viili that are less elastic and more like mildly gelatinous, like this. (The separated piece holds shape and the pit doesn't fill up.)

However, as can be noticed, viili in Finnish is clearly a loanword from Swedish fil, so there's been some kind of connection/influence from Sweden at some point.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-08-15, 20:24

Varislintu wrote:
Johanna wrote:And to add to the confusion, filmjölk is the longer, more official name for the product, fil is what you'll hear in everyday speech... Is your fil our långfil maybe? To us it's a kind of filmjölk, like how Greek yoghurt is definitely yoghurt but still different from the regular kind.

I stumbled upon the word långfil while looking into this, but I'm not personally familiar with what kind of product it refers to. But I think our fil is different from your fil. Our fil/viili is traditionally elastic, which I think your fil is not.

Elastic like this.

Nowadays there are versions of fil/viili that are less elastic and more like mildly gelatinous, like this. (The separated piece holds shape and the pit doesn't fill up.)

However, as can be noticed, viili in Finnish is clearly a loanword from Swedish fil, so there's been some kind of connection/influence from Sweden at some point.

That looks a lot like our långfil :) Keep in mind that I have only encountered it once or twice in my life though.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-04, 2:34

vijayjohn wrote:Interesting! These days, I tend to have only two meals a day. I'm not even sure what exactly to call them. :lol: The first one is usually around noon and can be any of the following:

• two bolillos with spoon-size shredded wheat with bran (I just eat it right out of the box :lol:) and a cup of, uhh, "tea" (the way little Indian kids drink it, so it's mostly just milk :lol:),
  • two wheat tortillas with a bowl of yellow split peas (so chapatis and dal :P) and a cup of tea, or
  • two bagels (usually raisin bagels, occasionally blueberry bagels) with a big glass of cold milk.

Occasionally, it can be something else instead.

Now that I actually have a 9-to-6 job, this is what I eat for dinner. For lunch, I eat a rather substantial meal, but what exactly that is is highly variable and depends on whatever my dad chooses to make me. It is usually not specifically Indian food. (Today, it was homemade bulgogi with rice and some kimchi he bought at H-Mart).

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-01-04, 8:42

I love Kimchi! Wow this is delicious! :D I wish I could make some but it seems complicated!
I also have a 9-to-6 job and usually have light breakfast (vegetables, and 10 gr of bread), very light lunch as I'm not hungry at 13:00 (about 150 gr of vegetables, a tiny fruit) and usually have bigger dinner (vegetables and a bit of fish).
And of course I eat lighter if I don't do my 12 km a day in bike :lol:
Can't you make your own food for lunch? So you can decide what you eat :-) every Sunday I cook weekly food for my husband and myself :partyhat:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (ro) & (mg) Wanderlusting (hu) My current addiction - crazy about it! (nagy függő vagyok!)

Gadano

Postby Gadano » 2019-01-04, 12:49

Kimchi! One of my favorites! :D
Gadano - Polish lessons for foreigners

Return to “Culture”