Random Culture Thread

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

User avatar
Prowler
Posts: 1958
Joined: 2013-07-19, 5:09
Gender: male
Country: PT Portugal (Portugal)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby Prowler » 2015-04-06, 1:17

Everyone calls me by my first name. Never had anyone call me by my last name and I prefer it that way.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24510
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-16, 8:14

Everybody calls me by either my first name or a nickname, unless they mistakenly believe that my last name is actually my first name. :P There's this one Indian guy I have on Skype who keeps forgetting and calling me by my last name. :roll: Probably one of those goddamn North Indians who knows literally nothing about South India, even though we South Indians are relatively likely to know about North India. Arrrghhhh.

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5920
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Milan
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby OldBoring » 2015-04-18, 1:35

vijayjohn wrote:Probably one of those goddamn North Indians who knows literally nothing about South India, even though we South Indians are relatively likely to know about North India. Arrrghhhh.

The same thing happens to me in China.
I mean, some Beijingers even think that Zhejiang and Jiangsu are the same province.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23448
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-18, 2:46

vijayjohn wrote:Probably one of those goddamn North Indians who knows literally nothing about South India, even though we South Indians are relatively likely to know about North India. Arrrghhhh.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-zW6f63ZKo
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24510
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-18, 5:32

He forgot to mention that we're all ugly and smelly (and short and that there's a Hindi equivalent of the n-word for us). ;)
Youngfun wrote:I mean, some Beijingers even think that Zhejiang and Jiangsu are the same province.

Lots of North Indians think all South Indians are from Madras even though Madras doesn't even exist anymore! :P :lol:

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23448
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-18, 14:59

vijayjohn wrote:He forgot to mention that we're all ugly and smelly (and short and that there's a Hindi equivalent of the n-word for us).

Isn't that all implied by "monkey men"?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24510
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-18, 16:32

linguoboy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:He forgot to mention that we're all ugly and smelly (and short and that there's a Hindi equivalent of the n-word for us).

Isn't that all implied by "monkey men"?

But the bearded fat guys are ugly, smelly, and short, too! :lol: (And huh, I didn't know monkey men were called by the n-word :P). Also apparently we're of various colors, have variable numbers of eyes, and grunt while we walk around (although since we're Dravidian, we must be grunting pretty damn fast :rotfl:). Or at least the BBC has been so kind as to portray the demon characters in the Ramayana this way so that even kids can understand that. Yay! :P

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5920
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Milan
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby OldBoring » 2015-04-18, 16:40

South Indians are real Indians. North Indians are a bunch of Arabized and Persianized barbarians that pretend to be Indians.
Long live the purity of the Indus and the Ganges Valley Civilization!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24510
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-18, 16:47

Youngfun wrote:South Indians are real Indians. North Indians are a bunch of Arabized and Persianized barbarians that pretend to be Indians.

There are Dravidian languages spoken up north, too, though. ;)
Long live the purity of the Indus and the Ganges Valley Civilization!

The Ganges Valley Civilization?! You mean Mother Ganga may have been tainted by the bodies of those dark Dravidians?!? :totalshock: :lol:

User avatar
TeneReef
Posts: 3073
Joined: 2010-04-17, 23:22
Gender: male
Location: Kampor
Country: HR Croatia (Hrvatska)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby TeneReef » 2015-04-18, 17:55

vijayjohn wrote:Everybody calls me by either my first name or a nickname, unless they mistakenly believe that my last name is actually my first name. :P There's this one Indian guy I have on Skype who keeps forgetting and calling me by my last name. :roll: Probably one of those goddamn North Indians who knows literally nothing about South India, even though we South Indians are relatively likely to know about North India. Arrrghhhh.


North Indians don't know anything about NE India (Assam, Mizoram etc.) either,
so it's not only South India that is ''ignored'' by them.
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24510
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-19, 7:55

Because I totally said that North Indians ignored only South India. :roll:

User avatar
TeneReef
Posts: 3073
Joined: 2010-04-17, 23:22
Gender: male
Location: Kampor
Country: HR Croatia (Hrvatska)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby TeneReef » 2015-04-19, 12:29

Gujarat and West Bengal are pretty ignored by (central) North Indians themselves.
So, everyone is ignored,
except for native speakers of Hindi.

Now that Jaylaleetha is jailed,
Northernes might show respect for the stormy South.

There are exceptions to the rule,
Bangalore seems very much adored and talked about,
by the Northerners,
you can speak Hindi and be understood there,
that must be the reason why.
Even native Bangaloreans like Deepika Padukone
are happy to point out they suck at Kannada.

In India, due to cast system, many people are very likely to hang out only (or preferably) within their cast,
so a Brahmin from Chennai is more likely to hang out with a Brahmin from Delhi,
than with a Dalit from Chennai.
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

User avatar
loqu
Posts: 11835
Joined: 2007-08-15, 21:12
Real Name: Daniel
Gender: male
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby loqu » 2015-04-21, 12:07

Is there any culture in the world where being nice is not encouraged?

I mean, I guess you guys know how we're all told that we must be nice to others, and how most people want to be liked. I'd say in Western culture it's a general trend, and lots of people blame it on the current times and give other absurd reasons.

Do you guys know if that of being nice is a cultural thing, or is it inherent to humankind?
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24510
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-21, 14:35

loqu wrote:Is there any culture in the world where being nice is not encouraged?

I mean, I guess you guys know how we're all told that we must be nice to others, and how most people want to be liked. I'd say in Western culture it's a general trend, and lots of people blame it on the current times and give other absurd reasons.

Do you guys know if that of being nice is a cultural thing, or is it inherent to humankind?

I suppose it depends on what you mean exactly by "being nice." Being nice to who? Being nice in what ways? Do you mean explicitly telling people to be nice to each other? Or expecting them to be nice at all? Or what? :) I think every society relies on some degree of co-operation at least; I don't see how it would be possible for a society to exist otherwise. :hmm:

Ludwig Whitby
Posts: 3665
Joined: 2009-03-30, 13:44
Gender: male
Location: Belgrade
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2015-04-22, 17:03

Poor classes of the society are often more aggressive towards each other. Ghetto black people or Romas in Europe or simply the working class of every race aren't always nice. In those circles the most important thing is to appear tough and strong, but respectful. Being nice may make you seem weak, which is the last thing you'd want.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23448
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-22, 17:15

Here in the US, we also have the concept of being "nicety". This being outwardly nice in such an aggressive way that it's actually nasty. For instance, the pub near my old apartment had outdoor seating and homeless men would come by and panhandle customers. If the owner say this, she would come out and interrupt their shpil, saying "CAN I HELP YOU?" until they gave up and went away. On the surface, that's a very polite thing to say, but what she was really telling them was, "Go away!"
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24510
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-22, 18:36

Ludwig Whitby wrote:In those circles the most important thing is to appear tough and strong, but respectful.

:hmm: I'm curious as to what you mean by that. Respectful to who? To authority?
linguoboy wrote:Here in the US, we also have the concept of being "nicety". This being outwardly nice in such an aggressive way that it's actually nasty. For instance, the pub near my old apartment had outdoor seating and homeless men would come by and panhandle customers. If the owner say this, she would come out and interrupt their shpil, saying "CAN I HELP YOU?" until they gave up and went away. On the surface, that's a very polite thing to say, but what she was really telling them was, "Go away!"

I always thought of this sort of thing as just trying to scare them away, I guess. (Also, that's the first time I've ever seen the spelling <shpil> :)).

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23448
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby linguoboy » 2015-04-22, 19:08

vijayjohn wrote:
Ludwig Whitby wrote:In those circles the most important thing is to appear tough and strong, but respectful.

:hmm: I'm curious as to what you mean by that. Respectful to who? To authority?

To anyone. Because dis the wrong person and you'll end up dead.

vijayjohn wrote:
linguoboy wrote:For instance, the pub near my old apartment had outdoor seating and homeless men would come by and panhandle customers. If the owner say this, she would come out and interrupt their shpil, saying "CAN I HELP YOU?" until they gave up and went away. On the surface, that's a very polite thing to say, but what she was really telling them was, "Go away!"

I always thought of this sort of thing as just trying to scare them away, I guess.

That's what she's trying to do, yes, but in a way which won't upset the sensibilities of her customers. "Go away!" is a very rude command to give in our culture, and something you'd hesitate to say even to someone who was really bothering you.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5920
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Milan
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby OldBoring » 2015-04-26, 10:19

vijayjohn wrote:The Ganges Valley Civilization?! You mean Mother Ganga may have been tainted by the bodies of those dark Dravidians?!? :totalshock: :lol:

Something similar happened in China. First, civilization began in Northern China. Then they immigrated to the South intermixing with them and bringing the Great Chinese Culture to Southern China. Later, Northern China was invaded by barbarians while Southern China preserved the traditional culture better. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 24510
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-26, 18:31

Oh, that's not what happened in India at all! First, civilization began in South India. :twisted: Then they migrated north, then barbarians from the west(?) began pushing everyone towards either the east or back to the south and marginalized everybody who didn't move. Later, the barbarians fought each other again and again (and occasionally took over parts of South India, too), and North India was invaded by several more waves of barbarians while South India preserved the traditional culture better. :lol:


Return to “Culture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest