Random Culture Thread

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Random Culture Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-10, 20:32

You know, not everything on the Internet is going to be written exactly the way you want it to be. :roll:

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2018-12-10, 20:55

linguoboy wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:Why was "partner" needed in the first place? Is boyfriend / girlfriend not appropriate after a certain age?

In addition to what Johanna said, I found it very odd to refer to men who were literally twice my age as my "boyfriends"--so much so that, for my second partner, I began using the term "gentleman friend".

Speaking of, in a heterosexual context, my grandfather and his partner are in their late 80's and 70's respectively. It would be silly to talk about them as boyfriend and girlfriend, and at the same time they aren't married so they aren't spouses either.

At least the normal Swedish term for a live-in romantic partner (sambo) is both age and gender neutral. As is the one for a partner who you are equally committed to but you've made the decision to keep your separate homes (särbo). What's iffy is when you're in the stage before that, then Swedish is more at a loss than English probably.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-12-10, 21:18

Aurinĭa wrote:Then why didn't you specify? If you're only talking about a particular subset of people to whom something could apply, it doesn't make sense not to specify. If you don't, you make it seem like that particular subset isn't a subset, but the whole set.

I think it's because of this thing called "making mistakes". Not sure though.

vijayjohn wrote:You know, not everything on the Internet is going to be written exactly the way you want it to be. :roll:

Thanks.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-10, 21:42

Since this is the Random Culture Thread, I'd also like to point out that people from different cultural backgrounds have different ways of expressing the same thing, even when they're all on the Internet and all typing in English. In my experience, people misunderstand each other very frequently on the Internet.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-12-11, 7:21

vijayjohn wrote:You know, not everything on the Internet is going to be written exactly the way you want it to be. :roll:

No kidding. Still doesn't mean I can't point it out, does it? I'm far from the only person who'd notice and dislike the discrepancy between what was said and what was meant.

IpseDixit wrote:I think it's because of this thing called "making mistakes". Not sure though.

I know you didn't do it malignantly, you just happened to post where I could react to it vs other instances when I can't.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-16, 16:19

This picture appears on the (English) Wikipedia article for the Russian Empire with the caption "Young Russian peasant women in front of traditional wooden house (ca. 1909 to 1915) taken by Prokudin-Gorskii and hand -coloured (sic)":
Can anyone tell what the three women in the picture are carrying in their hands and why? They look like plates of some kind of berries. Was this a common custom in Russia at some time in its history? Is it still today?

Here's a bigger version of that picture if it helps:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_E ... kii-08.jpg

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-12-16, 23:06

There is a tradition, as you probably know, to bring bread and salt to guests, but I have never heard or seen anything like that with berries. Perhaps they were given berries just for the picture to look more interesting.
(tr) 120 pages, (ku) Hînker 3: Unit 5/8, (ar) Kalila wa Dimna: p.74/196

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-17, 3:36

Thanks! :)

Return to “Culture”