YouTube Channels

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: YouTube Channels

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-04, 0:25

I think I'm starting to fall in love with this channel :lol: (And I'm pretty sure she's from in or near Toronto. I vaguely remember seeing/hearing that some time ago. I don't remember where/how exactly I found that out, though). A fellow UniLanger already confirmed that she is indeed from Brampton, which is near Toronto. :P

Canadian English (en-CA) IISuperwomanII

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-02-05, 6:56

Was hooked on the first of three or four videos that I've just watched. Glad to know she's Canadian, but where are my fellow western Canadians :( ?

A while ago I had found [flag=]us[/flag] Xidnaf (a factor in my Lojban interest :para: ). He does videos on linguistics in an interesting way. All of his videos are composed of drawings he's done himself, mostly stick figures but hey, he's putting a lot of effort. Also, could anyone confirm his older videos' info? He's stated before that his main resource is wikipedia, but I don't know much of linguistics outside what is needed for conlanging, so… he's still entertaining a me.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-02-06, 0:45

Koko wrote:A while ago I had found [flag=]us[/flag] Xidnaf (a factor in my Lojban interest :para: ). He does videos on linguistics in an interesting way. All of his videos are composed of drawings he's done himself, mostly stick figures but hey, he's putting a lot of effort. Also, could anyone confirm his older videos' info? He's stated before that his main resource is wikipedia, but I don't know much of linguistics outside what is needed for conlanging, so… he's still entertaining a me.

I love Xidnaf. I believe his older vids - the ones he did while still in high school - were ones where he did research on Wikipedia mainly and perhaps solely. From what I recall of the comments in most of those videos, his research seemed to be spot on.

I could definitely see him being a linguistics prof one day; not sure if that's what he wants to do, but even his newer vids since starting to study linguistics have matured in his oratory and perhaps also explanatory skills.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-02-06, 3:51

dEhiN wrote:From what I recall of the comments in most of those videos, his research seemed to be spot on.

That's what I thought too. But you can never be too sure ;) (i'm probably just being too skeptical :whistle: )

I could definitely see him being a linguistics prof one day; not sure if that's what he wants to do, but even his newer vids since starting to study linguistics have matured in his oratory and perhaps also explanatory skills.

Yeah. If he does, I would definitely take his class. I love his drawings too: The one with the drunk farmers in his "Ass VS Arse" video was great!

I tried to show my friends him, but they couldn't get past his voice :? . Maybe that's an excuse to not watch vids on linguistics.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-02-06, 15:20

I actually find his voice kind of cute. :\

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-04, 18:31

[flag=]fr[/flag] Le Cinema de Durendal

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-03-04, 19:26

Xidnaf is great, I am a bit envious of him, still retaining his passion in linguistics and stuff.
But indeed his first few videos, which he didn't research that well, did make me despise him at first. I can be elitist.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2015-03-06, 20:19

[flag=]ga[/flag] Clisare
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2015-03-06, 20:32

Multilingual: WikiTongues - Clips for people speaking in many different languages.

[flag=]ga[/flag] CODasGAEILGE - Guy plays Call of Duty and speaks in Irish, does some game reviews, memes, Irish lessons etc.

[flag=]ga[/flag] Seán Ó Briain - This guys uploads Irish language and Irish interest videos.

[flag=]ga[/flag] TG Lurgan - Channel for Irish cover versions of pop songs.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-07, 16:39

[flag=]en-US[/flag] TestTube

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-04-09, 7:28

I watch Test Tube from time to time. Sort of a guilty secret.
They often annoy me because of blatant double standards like when it came to that video about when is a coup not a coup. But yeah, not surprising since they are funded by Discovery Channel, they wouldn't exactly promote radical politics. They seem to be on the middle of Democrats rhetoric.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-06-13, 10:00

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-07-02, 19:22

Koko wrote:but where are my fellow western Canadians :( ?

Right here :partyhat: [flag=]en-ca[/flag] BubbleteaFrenzy!!! (a Vancouverite is he)

I wish I were able to watch more anime :( And I need to geddan and get surs with Japanese (and of course even more so with Italian), that way when I can watch anime, I don't need to rely on English subs.

I'm becoming more and more a weeaboo… at least I don't think Japan and everything that comes out of it is the best. That still goes to Italy.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-07-08, 6:12

I recently discovered SJIsBack, a YouTube channel with lots of movie songs in Marathi (mr) and some Hindustani (North Indian classical) songs in Hindi (hi), all with subtitles in English (en). It even has two Koli songs (i.e. songs from the Marathi fishing community) I remember hearing as a teen. :D
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2015-07-17, 1:09, edited 1 time in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-07-17, 1:08

Qingtianese (wuu)Mandarin (zh) Simon wu

And two more multilingual channels:

WildFilmsIndia, with videos in all kinds of Indian languages
Andrew Hsiu, with videos (mostly songs) in various minority languages, primarily from Yunnan Province in China but also to some extent from Vietnam

Liootas

Postby Liootas » 2015-08-12, 19:57

[flag=]us[/flag] Xidnaf

A nice educational channel about linguistics. I really love this one :D
[flag=]lt[/flag] native
[flag=]en[/flag] B2/C1
[flag=]fr[/flag] B2
[flag=]es[/flag] A2/B1
Picked up some [flag=]eo[/flag] and [flag=]ru[/flag]
Interested in linguistics and conlangs:)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-08-12, 20:09

meidei wrote:Geography Now

The heck, why is H so behind.

I'm mad at you meidei, I really love this channel, thank you.

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-08-12, 20:27

Me on the other hand, I got sick of him. It looks like after be reached B he became bored of this project, he doesn't seem engaged at all. And recently he started strawmanning feminism for laughs out of the blue, which is sad.
I am just waiting for the #cyprusmentioned moment and then I'll stop checking the channel.

Now, on the other hand, I caught up with [flag=]en-US[/flag] ExtraCredits after they broke ties with PATV.
Whether you're looking for a game industry career or simply curious about the way game developers think, Extra Credits makes video game design approachable by exploring concepts like gamification, perfect imbalance, the skinner box, the uncanny valley, and more. Sometimes we also like to recommend a few games you might not have tried!
Their main series is Extra Credits, but they also have a series where they recommend less known videogames that have interesting mechanics or are otherwise worthwhile, and Extra History which is a infotainment Great Men History series (their own description). By far my favourite serial is the one about the South Sea Bubble.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-08-12, 20:44

Liootas wrote:[flag=]us[/flag]Xidnaf

I've already posted his channel here ;)

Isn't he great?! Too bad he couldn't post more frequently, but at least he draws all his videos and does quite a lot of research. You know he doesn't slack off.

Liootas

Postby Liootas » 2015-08-13, 17:31

Koko wrote:
Liootas wrote:[flag=]us[/flag]Xidnaf

I've already posted his channel here ;)

Isn't he great?! Too bad he couldn't post more frequently, but at least he draws all his videos and does quite a lot of research. You know he doesn't slack off.

Sorry, didn't see that :oops:

He's really great! And the animation is cute, too. Yeah, that's a real pity but his life is in the first place and his channel in the second : )

/

Désolé, j'ai pas vu ça :oops:

Il est super ! Et l'animation est aussi mignone. Ouai, c'est tellement dommage mais sa vie est en premier lieu et sa chaîne est en second : )
[flag=]lt[/flag] native
[flag=]en[/flag] B2/C1
[flag=]fr[/flag] B2
[flag=]es[/flag] A2/B1
Picked up some [flag=]eo[/flag] and [flag=]ru[/flag]
Interested in linguistics and conlangs:)

Return to “Culture”