Water in toilet sinks

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Water in toilet sinks

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2014-09-14, 13:22

I just went to London and apart from the usual things that were different (driving at the left side of the road, drinking undrinkable tea, eating beans in the morning and saying 'sorry' before anything has happened) there was something else that really surprised me.

At a lot of toilets (in musea for instance) the water in the sinks was warm. You couldn't even choose sometimes, they just decided for you that warm water was the best to wash your hands with. In the National Gallery it seemed to be just cooked water, I wasn't even able to wash my hands properly there because it was just too hot.

Personally I thought this was annoying because warm water seems to be less clean to me than fresh cold water (associations with legionalla, growing of bacteria, I don't know...), but I may be wrong with that, but what I was wondering about: is this a normal thing in the whole of Britain or even the world? I mean, is there warm water in schools at toilets too, in universities, maybe even at home? And where do people get their drinking water then, because I assume people are drinking water there too and the water is drinkable, right?
Native: Dutch
Learns: Indonesian and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Varislintu

Re: Water in toilet sinks

Postby Varislintu » 2014-09-14, 13:53

You mean they were unadjustable taps? Were they motion sensor controlled? Even those sometimes have a little lever on one side where you can adjust the water temperature. I've encountered the annoying thing that someone has adjusted the tap temperature to max, and I nearly burn my hands. But another tap in the same line of taps can be cool, so it really depends on the adjustment.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2014-09-14, 14:51

Varislintu wrote:You mean they were unadjustable taps? Were they motion sensor controlled? Even those sometimes have a little lever on one side where you can adjust the water temperature. I've encountered the annoying thing that someone has adjusted the tap temperature to max, and I nearly burn my hands. But another tap in the same line of taps can be cool, so it really depends on the adjustment.

No, I meant ones where you couldn't change the water temperature. But I think that's quite normal, what was surprising to me, was that the water was warm in stead of cold. And yes, sometimes motion controlled, but I think most were like this:

I tried a few in the National Gallery at several days (musea & toilets are for free, it's so incredibly amazing, what a good and friendly tourist city London is!) and they were all that hot, but maybe I really missed something :wink:

Corrections appreciated.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-09-14, 17:58

In Germany, if you can't choose, it's always cold water. Even though it's perfectly fine, people don't drink tap water here, they buy it instead (also because most people want it to be at least a bit sparkling).
Please correct my mistakes!

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2014-09-14, 18:04

Ah, those "press once and water flows for a short time" taps? I haven't encountered them in Finland, but they're common in Hungary, and there the water from them is usually pretty cold.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2014-09-14, 18:06

Varislintu wrote:Ah, those "press once and water flows for a short time" taps? I haven't encountered them in Finland, but they're common in Hungary, and there the water from them is usually pretty cold.

Yes, those ones :lol:

Corrections appreciated.

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2014-09-14, 19:03

Never heard about those warm water taps :o yeah, around here, if you can't choose, the water is cold.

(Unless the pipe is under the sun, then the water comes out warm or even hot, but it's not on purpose and it's quite uncommon).
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2014-09-14, 20:59

That reminds me. Once when we were having our apartment in Ukraine refurbished and the lame masters by accident switched two pipes and the water kept flowing into the sink from the hot tap. We had to call them back again. :D

But otherwise it's always cold without the option to choose. Usually the water doesn't interact much with your skin, unless you're flushing it too fervently without lifting your ass, so it's needless to make it more expensive by heating.

Of course, this doesn't apply to water in taps if hot water supply is not cut as they often do during summer. And, no, don't drink it in Ukraine if you don't wish to get diarrhea.

dorenda

Postby dorenda » 2014-09-15, 21:01

Here, I also noticed that, in newer buildings at least, if there's no possibility to choose, it's often warm. And if it's a tap you can regulate, the person before me usually left it warmer than I would put it.
I was used to always use cold water for washing my hands, but I am slowly getting used to warm water. But for example for washing my face etc. in the morning I really need cold water. With warm water I just feel like I didn't wake up. I once spoke about this with a friend here, and he is still sometimes making fun of it. I guess it's not normal here.

I do sometimes find it annoying if there's only warm water, exactly because it's not nice to drink. And also because I often simply prefer to wash my hands with cold water. But I'm one of the minority that drink tap water, most people here in Warsaw still think it's not drinkable, while it actually is.

By the way, I think the warm water thing is something of a new trend. A folk wisdom states: "Wash yourself with cold water and you will be pretty and young." ("Myj się zimną wodą, będziesz piękną i młodą.") This advice is only directed at women though. I don't know if for men cold water was supposed to have no effect, or if they simply were not supposed to be pretty and young. :)
нехай мій гаманець порожній
моя дорога невідома
я стану вільним, подорожнім
найголовніше вийти з дому

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-09-15, 23:18

I mostly saw a lot of the old-fashioned sinks, where you've got one tap with hot water and one with cold, when I was in London.

I don't know about the hygiene per se, but at least in Sweden, hot water tubes are supposed to be too hot for most bacteria to survive in, while cold water tubes are supposed to be too cold for them to grow much, so I guess that's true for the UK as well. The difference being that they often have two separate taps, while we have one tap that mixes hot and cold water, which would make ours less hygienic I believe, unless the cold water tubes contain luke-warm water rather than cold.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

ling

Postby ling » 2014-09-16, 5:52

Warm water is better for getting soap off your hands.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2014-09-16, 17:28

ling wrote:Warm water is better for getting soap off your hands.

That reminds me of one of the taps where at first I thought that the soap tap was the water tap :lol:

I never use soap to wash my hands, it's not good for your skin.

Corrections appreciated.

Lada

Postby Lada » 2014-09-16, 20:03

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:I never use soap to wash my hands, it's not good for your skin.

and what do you use? I know some people use... special liquid for surgeons or liquid used in hospitals/clinics in general, but it seems to me that you're using something else, am I right? :)

Set

Postby Set » 2014-09-16, 20:10

It's not particularly common in my experience to have the old fashioned separate taps in public bathrooms. I would also find it normal for water to be luke warm. I guess some people don't like cold water and some don't like it hot, whereas luke warm is the vanilla option. But yeah, don't drink public tap water in the UK.
Native:[flag=]en[/flag] Good:[flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ca[/flag] Focusing on:[flag=]fa[/flag][flag=]ku[/flag][flag=]ps[/flag] Interested in:[flag=]zza[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag]

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2014-09-16, 20:42

Lada wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:I never use soap to wash my hands, it's not good for your skin.

and what do you use? I know some people use... special liquid for surgeons or liquid used in hospitals/clinics in general, but it seems to me that you're using something else, am I right? :)

Just cold water :)

Corrections appreciated.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-09-17, 0:44

This discussion reminds me of one of my professors, who was Taiwanese and joked that she was amused to find that the two options for water faucets in Japan were "cold" and "soup." :lol:

(The character 湯 is used for 'hot water' in Japanese, but in Mandarin, it means 'soup').

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2014-09-17, 12:24

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:
Lada wrote:

But but but... How do you get, you know, the dirt off them with just water? :|
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-09-17, 16:57

Isn't it possible to get it off with just water? :hmm: I suspect people don't even have soap in most parts of India. :lol:

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2014-09-17, 17:22

Varislintu wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:
Lada wrote:

But but but... How do you get, you know, the dirt off them with just water? :|

Well, when my hands are really dirty, I'll wash them with soap of course. But normally not (on doctor's recommendation too), I think just water works perfectly fine as long as you haven't touched meat or something like that. And you know what they say, we've become way too hygienic these days, that's why people get ill more often. (or get eczema like me which makes it just painful to wash your hands with soap, haha)

Corrections appreciated.

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2014-09-17, 17:35

vijayjohn wrote:Isn't it possible to get it off with just water? :hmm: I suspect people don't even have soap in most parts of India. :lol:

For a chemical reason, you can't get hydrophobic substances off with just water, because they won't dissolve in water. Hydrophobic substances include lipids (fat, oils...).
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

Return to “Culture”