Importance of weather

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Lur

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Lur » 2013-09-26, 11:18

Varislintu wrote:I also have a kind of bad circulation in my hands and feet, especially inside, when I'm not up and about.

My hands used to get literally purple (and white if you touched them) in the cold. It seemed to scare people.

It doesn't happen anymore, though.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-09-26, 12:39

Lur wrote:
Varislintu wrote:I also have a kind of bad circulation in my hands and feet, especially inside, when I'm not up and about.

My hands used to get literally purple (and white if you touched them) in the cold. It seemed to scare people.

I guess purple is a bit scary. But I think you'd notice if your hands were dying from lack of oxygen or something. :P

Mine mostly just are cold, no change in colour. My lips, however... Last time I flew with airplane, the security woman at the security check asked me if I'm feeling quite alright, that she used to be in health care and that I look like a person who's about to pass out. :lol: In the restroom after that, I noticed that my lips had gotten kind of purplish again. Nowadays I carry lipstick on me in my purse so as not to scare people if I get cold. :P
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2013-09-26, 14:30

Meera wrote:Another thing I hate about Winter, I forgot to add is that I can never get warm in the winter. Even if I wear gloves my hands are still cold, and my feet are always cold in the winter. Ugh I hate winter so much :evil:

The very opposite of me – the main reason why I dislike summer is exactly because I just don’t seem to be able to cool down enough. Especially at work, since I’m not allowed to wear shorts (or even those masculine capri pants, even though I doubt I’d ever wear anything like that at all). Sometimes I wonder if going all native Brazilian and wearing no clothes would help, but I honestly think it wouldn’t. :P Working feels awful, walking anywhere feels awful, even trying to sleep feels awful. :x
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

dkatbena

Postby dkatbena » 2013-09-28, 5:05

Warm weather triggers my allergy with fever and fainting. Usually the transition from wet to dry season made me sick and feel sleepy.
Kapionan ey mangyedi de inoman a manoloson de benal a Makyedyepat! eye a Makyedyepat.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-09-30, 10:25

All men in the world should be allowed by their employer to wear kilts. Like the utility-kilt. I've heard its made some headway as a unisex waiter outfit in the USA. Moar men in kilts, please. :mrgreen:
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-09-30, 13:13

speaking of 'utility clothing'... probably the only thing I miss from the army is the cargo pants. Having pockets at the height of the knees is immensely practical. Of course, army cargo pants are made from the world's most horrible cloth, so not them. New ones. Eventually.
------

Now, on the topic of weather. I like winter. But it barely lasts a month here :( (and lowest temp I experienced was +6°C, last winter, early hours of the morning. Varislintu will probably point out that's Finnish heatwave :P)
It's almost October and we only had two partially cloudy days. Not even fully clouded, let alone any rain.

I like it when it rains because it makes the world feel smaller, and I like that (another user wrote the same think, don't remember who but I agree with them).
Snow, I have no idea if I like it. Only touched snow once, when we travelled to Mt Troodos, and it wasn't all that exciting. Nothing like the films.

Summer just makes me want to sleep, but it's also too hot to sleep comfortably so I am just trapped and can't do anything. And not being able to do anything makes me feel even worse. Idleness = bad for mental health.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)
For fun: Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-09-30, 19:34

I think cold weather like winter affects my libido in a negative way...
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2013-09-30, 20:02

I love rainy days. Despite the fact that I live in Spain, where it seldom rains, I don't dislike high temperatures that much, but I hate sweating and everyone tends to start to sweat here when the sun is quite shiny and the temperatures are almost 35ºC - 40ºC.

Moreover, I have experienced Finnish winter, and as long as you wear proper clothes, you won't be that cold. It doesn't matter if the temperatures are -10ºC or -20ºC, but as I already mentioned, you'd better take a coat with you if you don't want to freeze.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-10-01, 18:05

meidei wrote:Now, on the topic of weather. I like winter. But it barely lasts a month here :( (and lowest temp I experienced was +6°C, last winter, early hours of the morning. Varislintu will probably point out that's Finnish heatwave :P)

In winter, yes it would be. :lol:
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Sophy

Postby Sophy » 2013-10-01, 20:30

Levo wrote:1. Summing up all, how much do you think the weather affects your mood?

2. How much do you think, the weather determines if you like living in the place where you live?

Thanks!

1.Not much.The weather is the last thing that can really affect my mood.Every day,regardless of the weather has it's own beauty-sometimes it's the sharp shadows of the bright sunny day or the pastel shades of colors during the cloudy days.Winters have that amazing bluish mornings-the most beautiful hours of the season. Maybe the only thing I can point,is that i feel more sleepy when the skies are low or it has been raining for too long.
2. Never thought of it actually,but for sure the four seasons we have here makes the place interesting because of the varieties.
"A society grows great,when old men plant trees
whose shade they know,they shall never sit in."

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2014-10-12, 17:32

I prefer warm weather. Also, no rain, please. Rain is the worst thing in the world. Sadly, here in Lisbon, summers are pretty hot(as in above 30ºC) and in some days of fall, winter and spring it rains cats and dogs all day long. You can't even wear a rain jacket and carry an umbrella because you'll get soaked either way. it's awful having to go to work or school/uni in a day like that.

As for the weather affecting my mood, well too much heat makes me lazy and slow as hell. Cold weather doesn't really affect my mood much from what I notice. Rainy weather kinda makes me feel down.

I wish it was always sunny and warm between 18ºC and 24ºC here all year long. That would be perfect.

That being said, my least favorite season is summer, by far. While fall is my favorite one.

Return to “Culture”