Importance of weather

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

User avatar
Johanna
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 6569
Joined: 2006-09-17, 18:05
Real Name: Johanna
Gender: female
Location: Lidköping, Westrogothia
Country: SE Sweden (Sverige)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Johanna » 2013-09-16, 19:22

Halfdan wrote:
Marah wrote:Sounds like something I have to experience before dying. :P

To Finnmark, you go!

I'll be going to Tornedalen, thankyou very much. :wink:
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Halfdan
Posts: 773
Joined: 2012-12-22, 5:41
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Halfdan » 2013-09-16, 21:07

Johanna wrote:
Halfdan wrote:
Marah wrote:Sounds like something I have to experience before dying. :P

To Finnmark, you go!

I'll be going to Tornedalen, thankyou very much. :wink:


Oh nice. :)

And you were right about Uppsala and Saint Petersburg having very similar latitudes, by the way.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2989
Joined: 2007-01-04, 13:59
Gender: female
Location: Rīga
Country: LV Latvia (Latvija)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-09-16, 21:33

linguoboy wrote:
Sol Invictus wrote:
AndreiB wrote:
JackFrost wrote: Sun rises after 7 and sets after 5 in January. It gets really tedious, but I'm used to it and can take it.

It can be even worse - in Sankt-Peterburg, as far as I remember, in November sun rises at 9:40 and sets at 15:40 or something. In December it's even worse.

I don't really see how this is a problem, given that we have electricity these days - when it's cold and you wouldn't want to be outside, it's also dark, but in summer, when people do spend time outside, it is light all the time.

If we here in Chicago didn't go outside whenever it was cold, we'd be hermits half the year. I don't want to leave the house on winter mornings to go to work, but I have to. When it's not only cold but also dark, my desire to get out of bed and go outside is diminished all the more.

What I meant was doing any sort of outdoor activities, not simply commuting. I get to get out of bed after sunrise usually, but come to think of it dark mornings kind of rub me in the wrong way (night is not my idea of morning). On the other hand overcast during the day is worse, when it's dark here you either don't see it,if there is no snow, or it gets nice whitish orange color from reflecting snow and city lights

User avatar
Varislintu
Posts: 15330
Joined: 2004-02-09, 13:32
Real Name: M.
Gender: female
Location: Helsinki
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Varislintu » 2013-09-18, 11:04

Inside spaces are nice enough, but you get a bit tired of them after month 4 of winter.

The thing with electric lights is, that even if they make it possible to do things outside even in winter (for people who sit inside at work during the light hours, and thus don't get to do outdoor things in daylight except in weekends), is that they make your spaces much smaller. Being on a lit sidewalk in the pitch dark makes the dark look impenetrable. You can't see very far. Your world is restricted to the electrically lit, usually yellow-toned areas. The sidewalk, the skating rink, the city squares. It's claustrophobia inducing after a time. And inside, you can't really see outside. You usually need to have the shades closed so as not to display yourself instead.

And to top it off, if the winter is unreliably snowy, you have to share those cramped lit spaces with slippery slush, trying not to slide into the dark areas. And if it is reliably snowy, you share them with huge piles of old plowed snow, and can only walk along the packed paths that have formed in the drifts. And all the while while you are trying to pass another person on the 40cm wide sloping path that is now the sidewalk, in that yellow-tone tunnel that is now the outside world, while carrying your grocery bags, cars and buses whoosh past in their salty snow slush and blind you with their headlights. :P

For me it's this restriction in space that feels the most oppressive about the darkness of midwinter. It's like being confined to a crowded, dirty mega city all of a sudden.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

User avatar
Lietmotiv
Posts: 1658
Joined: 2008-06-09, 9:47
Gender: male
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Lietmotiv » 2013-09-18, 11:24

The difference between Sankt-Peterburg and Uppsala is that in Russia they do not pass anymore to winter time, therefore at the end of November it can be dark at 10 o'clock in Peterburg.
For me winter time (I'm also speaking about Germany and Moldova) means malls, a lot of electricity on the streets, full pubs, bars and restorants, clubs and so on, a lot of alcohol/smoke and sad faces.

User avatar
Psi-Lord
Posts: 10087
Joined: 2002-08-18, 7:02
Real Name: Marcel Q.
Gender: male
Location: Cândido Mota
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Psi-Lord » 2013-09-18, 11:42

The weather affects my mood a lot. The hotter things get, the lazier and grumpier I become. Although these conditions may sort of sound to contradict each other, it’s definitely not good laziness, so to speak; instead, I feel like there’s just so much to do and so many places to go, and yet I just wish I could lie down in a corner and die peacefully. :P

I’ve been living in this town for five years now, and I just don’t get used to the weather around here. Not only is it usually hotter than I wish it was, but it’s also often dry, way too dry. Before I moved here, I spent 10 years in a city not far from here where the weather is sort of similar; I did have a hard time adjusting, but, being the city so much bigger, the dynamics of it made it feel less unpleasant. Besides, it seems the city lakes kept things more balanced, even if it might be just a psychological effect.

Oh, and the sun! I’m just way too pale for all this insolation, and, from reading Varislintu’s previous post, I’d so be willing to swap places with her! :P

[Using the Köppen climate classification, I’ve always lived in a humid subtropical climate zone, the difference between that, in my home town, there’s a distinguished dry season (Cwa), while in the other places I’ve lived that is lacking (Cfa). That certainly does not account for all my practical impressions, though.]
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

User avatar
mōdgethanc
Posts: 10658
Joined: 2010-03-20, 5:27
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-09-18, 15:24

a lot of alcohol/smoke and sad faces
Funny, that's always been how I've imagined Russia to be like in the winter.

User avatar
Lada
Posts: 4299
Joined: 2003-08-10, 15:23
Real Name: Anna
Gender: female
Country: RU Russia (Российская Федерация)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Lada » 2013-09-18, 20:34

The weather doesn't affect my mood, unless it's a real hurricane - we had them in Moscow twice when I was a teen and I was really scared by falling trees in front of my house...

mōdgethanc wrote:
a lot of alcohol/smoke and sad faces
Funny, that's always been how I've imagined Russia to be like in the winter.

It depends on what you concentrate, this alcohol/smoke/sad faces can be all year around...

For me winter is time when you're in the city and happily go to the parks for skiing, skating and drinking hot tea/coffee in cafes. And New Year celebration of course - the happiest moment during all year probably and the longest state vacances.
In summer I escape from the city to my country side house to breath fresh air, eat fresh strawberry and other berries from my garden, swim in the lakes and take sun baths - it's all impossible to get in Moscow which is covered by smoke in summer months and it's really awful to be stuck in a hot car during traffic jams or to be in a crowded metro smelling people's (usually men) sweat :?

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Meera » 2013-09-20, 4:51

I hate winter and everything about winter . It depresses me so much. All the plants are dead, the trees have no leaves, you have too put four layers of clothing on just to go outside, I hate sholving snow,I hate ice, I hate that it gets dark out early and that you can't sit outside or go for walks, or go swimming or go to the beach. I hate winter so much. I know the heat is uncomfortable too, but I would take a 90 degree anyday then anything below zero. Also I hate the fact in winter it takes forever to get warm, in the summer no matter how hot it is, you can instantly get cool if you go into an aircondtioner or a pool, but in the winter it takes me forever to warm up even when there is a heater. The only things I like about winter is seeing the christmass lights, pumpkin spice coffee and I don't have to worry about getting sunburnt.
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
mōdgethanc
Posts: 10658
Joined: 2010-03-20, 5:27
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-09-20, 18:06

Meera wrote:I hate winter and everything about winter . It depresses me so much. All the plants are dead, the trees have no leaves, you have too put four layers of clothing on just to go outside, I hate sholving snow,I hate ice, I hate that it gets dark out early and that you can't sit outside or go for walks, or go swimming or go to the beach. I hate winter so much. I know the heat is uncomfortable too, but I would take a 90 degree anyday then anything below zero. Also I hate the fact in winter it takes forever to get warm, in the summer no matter how hot it is, you can instantly get cool if you go into an aircondtioner or a pool, but in the winter it takes me forever to warm up even when there is a heater. The only things I like about winter is seeing the christmass lights, pumpkin spice coffee and I don't have to worry about getting sunburnt.
I love this post because it sums up everything I hate about winter too, except for the swimming part. If I really wanted to go swimming (which I never do) I would just find an indoor pool.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23563
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby linguoboy » 2013-09-20, 18:31

Meera wrote:I hate that it gets dark out early and that you can't sit outside or go for walks, or go swimming or go to the beach.

I love going for walks after a fresh snowfall--especially to the beach.

I imagine going swimming at the beach has more appeal if you live someplace where they don't flush sewage into the water after every major thunderstorm.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Marah
Posts: 3015
Joined: 2011-06-03, 17:01
Real Name: Jonathan
Gender: male
Country: FR France (France)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Marah » 2013-09-20, 18:39

Meera wrote:I hate winter and everything about winter . It depresses me so much. All the plants are dead, the trees have no leaves, you have too put four layers of clothing on just to go outside, I hate sholving snow,I hate ice, I hate that it gets dark out early and that you can't sit outside or go for walks, or go swimming or go to the beach. I hate winter so much. I know the heat is uncomfortable too, but I would take a 90 degree anyday then anything below zero. Also I hate the fact in winter it takes forever to get warm, in the summer no matter how hot it is, you can instantly get cool if you go into an aircondtioner or a pool, but in the winter it takes me forever to warm up even when there is a heater. The only things I like about winter is seeing the christmass lights, pumpkin spice coffee and I don't have to worry about getting sunburnt.

:yep:
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2989
Joined: 2007-01-04, 13:59
Gender: female
Location: Rīga
Country: LV Latvia (Latvija)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-09-20, 19:40

Varislintu wrote:Inside spaces are nice enough, but you get a bit tired of them after month 4 of winter.

The thing with electric lights is, that even if they make it possible to do things outside even in winter (for people who sit inside at work during the light hours, and thus don't get to do outdoor things in daylight except in weekends), is that they make your spaces much smaller. Being on a lit sidewalk in the pitch dark makes the dark look impenetrable. You can't see very far. Your world is restricted to the electrically lit, usually yellow-toned areas. The sidewalk, the skating rink, the city squares. It's claustrophobia inducing after a time. And inside, you can't really see outside. You usually need to have the shades closed so as not to display yourself instead.

And to top it off, if the winter is unreliably snowy, you have to share those cramped lit spaces with slippery slush, trying not to slide into the dark areas. And if it is reliably snowy, you share them with huge piles of old plowed snow, and can only walk along the packed paths that have formed in the drifts. And all the while while you are trying to pass another person on the 40cm wide sloping path that is now the sidewalk, in that yellow-tone tunnel that is now the outside world, while carrying your grocery bags, cars and buses whoosh past in their salty snow slush and blind you with their headlights. :P

Oh, dear that sounds like winter in Estonia *adds Finland in winter to list of places to stay the fuck away from* :o In Riga we have clean streets in city center and packed snow on sidewalks in the outskirts, but they are almost as wide as in summer, unless it is on really minor residential street. We got some snow for most of the winter, so it is really dark only in the late autumn, but we have got plenty of celebrations that usually involve lighting candles and other stuff to take your mind away from darkness, plus in the city there is mostly some lights visible everywhere (I live way off on a residential street near woods, darkness alone never really seemed scary and depressive for me). It seems to me that it is decent enough trade off when rest of the year is very light, much better than on equator where sun sets at 6pm all year round

User avatar
Levo
Posts: 3231
Joined: 2006-10-29, 10:22
Gender: male
Location: Tallinn
Country: EE Estonia (Eesti)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Levo » 2013-09-23, 7:51

Sol Invictus wrote:
Varislintu wrote:Inside spaces are nice enough, but you get a bit tired of them after month 4 of winter.

The thing with electric lights is, that even if they make it possible to do things outside even in winter (for people who sit inside at work during the light hours, and thus don't get to do outdoor things in daylight except in weekends), is that they make your spaces much smaller. Being on a lit sidewalk in the pitch dark makes the dark look impenetrable. You can't see very far. Your world is restricted to the electrically lit, usually yellow-toned areas. The sidewalk, the skating rink, the city squares. It's claustrophobia inducing after a time. And inside, you can't really see outside. You usually need to have the shades closed so as not to display yourself instead.

And to top it off, if the winter is unreliably snowy, you have to share those cramped lit spaces with slippery slush, trying not to slide into the dark areas. And if it is reliably snowy, you share them with huge piles of old plowed snow, and can only walk along the packed paths that have formed in the drifts. And all the while while you are trying to pass another person on the 40cm wide sloping path that is now the sidewalk, in that yellow-tone tunnel that is now the outside world, while carrying your grocery bags, cars and buses whoosh past in their salty snow slush and blind you with their headlights. :P

Oh, dear that sounds like winter in Estonia *adds Finland in winter to list of places to stay the fuck away from* :o In Riga we have clean streets in city center and packed snow on sidewalks in the outskirts, but they are almost as wide as in summer, unless it is on really minor residential street. We got some snow for most of the winter, so it is really dark only in the late autumn, but we have got plenty of celebrations that usually involve lighting candles and other stuff to take your mind away from darkness, plus in the city there is mostly some lights visible everywhere (I live way off on a residential street near woods, darkness alone never really seemed scary and depressive for me). It seems to me that it is decent enough trade off when rest of the year is very light, much better than on equator where sun sets at 6pm all year round

That was my reaction too for Varislintu's post! - That it is so similar to the one in Estonia.
And I'm really surprised you describe that it is different already in Latvia. I lived in South-Estonia.
Seems so those little differences in weather averages of Riga compared to Tallinn really make a difference?

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2989
Joined: 2007-01-04, 13:59
Gender: female
Location: Rīga
Country: LV Latvia (Latvija)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-09-23, 8:29

Really? I thought that the climate probably is better in southern Estonia :| I too was surprised that it is different, but I figured it was maybe because Tallinn is right by the sea, whereas most of Riga is more inland

User avatar
Varislintu
Posts: 15330
Joined: 2004-02-09, 13:32
Real Name: M.
Gender: female
Location: Helsinki
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Varislintu » 2013-09-23, 11:32

Sol Invictus wrote:
Varislintu wrote:Inside spaces are nice enough, but you get a bit tired of them after month 4 of winter.

The thing with electric lights is, that even if they make it possible to do things outside even in winter (for people who sit inside at work during the light hours, and thus don't get to do outdoor things in daylight except in weekends), is that they make your spaces much smaller. Being on a lit sidewalk in the pitch dark makes the dark look impenetrable. You can't see very far. Your world is restricted to the electrically lit, usually yellow-toned areas. The sidewalk, the skating rink, the city squares. It's claustrophobia inducing after a time. And inside, you can't really see outside. You usually need to have the shades closed so as not to display yourself instead.

And to top it off, if the winter is unreliably snowy, you have to share those cramped lit spaces with slippery slush, trying not to slide into the dark areas. And if it is reliably snowy, you share them with huge piles of old plowed snow, and can only walk along the packed paths that have formed in the drifts. And all the while while you are trying to pass another person on the 40cm wide sloping path that is now the sidewalk, in that yellow-tone tunnel that is now the outside world, while carrying your grocery bags, cars and buses whoosh past in their salty snow slush and blind you with their headlights. :P

Oh, dear that sounds like winter in Estonia *adds Finland in winter to list of places to stay the fuck away from* :o In Riga we have clean streets in city center and packed snow on sidewalks in the outskirts, but they are almost as wide as in summer, unless it is on really minor residential street. We got some snow for most of the winter, so it is really dark only in the late autumn, but we have got plenty of celebrations that usually involve lighting candles and other stuff to take your mind away from darkness, plus in the city there is mostly some lights visible everywhere (I live way off on a residential street near woods, darkness alone never really seemed scary and depressive for me). It seems to me that it is decent enough trade off when rest of the year is very light, much better than on equator where sun sets at 6pm all year round


Well, to be honest, all of that could and has been said about winter in Finland, too :P . Depends a lot on the weather, place, and the mood of the person experiencing it. With my description, I was trying to explain why winter can be perceived as dark, and why it can bother people. Compared to summertime, the biggest difference is how restricted you are from walking where you want to walk, when you want. In summer there's near constant natural light, so even foresty areas are possible to go to on a whim. You don't need to keep to lit paths (or paths in the first place). :)
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Bijlee

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Bijlee » 2013-09-23, 18:29

1. Summing up all, how much do you think the weather affects your mood?

Somewhat.
A hot, sunny day isn't going to send me into spiraling depression or make me want to spend my day sulking about life. A bad day is just a bit annoying. I don't like when it's sunny and I have to squint my eyes and feel like I'm one step closer to getting myself some cancer cells, but I can just put some sunglasses and sunscreen on. Then my only problem is that the sky is kind of ugly and I'm probably sweaty. In which case I can just go inside. Inside is good too. :I

Conversely, good weather has a big effect on me. It's always better for me around this time of year when it's getting cooler out. And a rainy or snowy day can definitely get my spirits up (maybe it's a bit childish of me :oops:); I just feel like things are much more beautiful and relaxing then!
2. How much do you think, the weather determines if you like living in the place where you live?

A lot. The climate is my favorite part of where I live- lots of snow in winter and a fair amount of rain the rest of the year. I like to get my full four seasons too. I may not like summer much, but I can at least go swimming and the hot weather allows for certain plants I like to grow. I wouldn't consider settling down somewhere hot and dry or where there's basically one season with different guises, like places that are hot year-round with a rainy season and a dry season. To me, that's just summer.

User avatar
Meera
Posts: 8740
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Meera » 2013-09-23, 20:02

Another thing I hate about Winter, I forgot to add is that I can never get warm in the winter. Even if I wear gloves my hands are still cold, and my feet are always cold in the winter. Ugh I hate winter so much :evil:
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

User avatar
Varislintu
Posts: 15330
Joined: 2004-02-09, 13:32
Real Name: M.
Gender: female
Location: Helsinki
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Varislintu » 2013-09-26, 9:09

Meera wrote:Another thing I hate about Winter, I forgot to add is that I can never get warm in the winter. Even if I wear gloves my hands are still cold, and my feet are always cold in the winter. Ugh I hate winter so much :evil:


I also have a kind of bad circulation in my hands and feet, especially inside, when I'm not up and about. But for some reason, outside it doesn't bother me that much. I think I automatically block out cold feelings, especially in winter. Most of the year here is cold, so it feels familiar, like a default.

Teenagers here are especially good at completely ignoring cold -- they wear converse shoes and short jackets all year round. :para:
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

User avatar
Lauren
Posts: 3581
Joined: 2012-04-09, 7:50
Real Name: Lauren
Gender: female
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Lauren » 2013-09-26, 9:30

I much prefer having to try to get warm than having to cool down. If I'm freezing col I can get a blanket and slippers and be fine. But when I'm burning hot it's harder (and more expensive) to cool down easily. And when I'm hot I'm sweaty and gross. :P Don't have to worry about anything like that when cold.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image


Return to “Culture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest