Importance of weather

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Levo

Importance of weather

Postby Levo » 2013-09-10, 9:18

1. Summing up all, how much do you think the weather affects your mood?

2. How much do you think, the weather determines if you like living in the place where you live?

Thanks!

Lauren

Re: Importance of weather

Postby Lauren » 2013-09-10, 9:27

Lots of rain makes me feel comforted and cozy. The best reason I can come up with is that when it rains, together with the clouds, the world feels much less "open". I'm not agoraphobic, but I used to have social anxiety very badly (and still do a bit, but rarely noticeable) and didn't like being outside in large open spaces. Or maybe I was just paranoid and was never sure what was going on around me, thus I feel exposed and vulnerable. :P Night makes me feel the same as rain does, but I wouldn't consider that weather.

So, on bright, hot days I feel doubly terrible; exposed and irritable since I can't stand the heat.

Since it usually rains a lot here around Seattle, I like it. But it often gets too hot in the summers, usually reaching the 90's on some days. Tomorrow we're supposed to have a heat wave, which I'm not looking forward too. :| Just last Thursday I think we had 2 inches of rain in 24 hours with thunder and lightning, which was fun, except for getting utterly drenched while walking outside. Might as well have jumped in a pool, couldn't tell the difference. :P
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-09-10, 11:29

I like places which are hot or very hot and often with rain.
I doesn't even matter if it's above 40 Celsius.

If it's cold then I'm not in the mood for doing anything.
Here it's already starting to get cold which I don't really like.

I would prefer the weather to be very hot in summer and warm and rainy in the rest of the year.

I don't understand why I like rain though, it always calms me down.
I wouldn't mind living in a place with a lot of rain.
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-09-10, 14:35

As someone who grew up in a changeable climate, I suffer from "good day guilt". Between winter snowstorms and summer heat waves, there are a lot of days every year where it's simply not pleasant to be out. So when the weather is nice--sunny, dry, and 20s--I always end up thinking, I shouldn't be inside, I should be out and about enjoying this. Once when visiting San Francisco, I had a conversation with a transplanted Midwesterner who suffered from the same complex. Except out there, "good days" are the rule, so during her first year she was wearing herself out trying to be active outside all the time. Finally her older sister, a naturalised Californian, had to explain, "You can't do that here. You'll drive yourself crazy."
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Shiba
Country: ZA South Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Postby Shiba » 2013-09-10, 15:07

1. The weather affects my mood quite a lot. The kind of weather I notice the most is on cold, rainy days, which tend to make me more creative.

2. That said, although I love cold and rainy days, I would not like living in a place where they were the norm. The area where I live has a very temperate climate for South Africa, which basically means the sun shines all the time but it isn't especially hot or dry. And when it rains in summer, you don't really get continual rains; maybe some lasting for two or three days, but usually you have a storm and then it's over.
What I would not be able to stand would be a climate like the Cape, with dry summers and rainy winters, long periods of drizzling, and no storms.
Native: Afrikaans (af) English (en) || Intermediate: German (de) || Beginner: Some odd combination of Riksmål and Bokmål and whatever (no) || Learning on-and-off: Russian (ru) || Curious: Breton (br) Welsh (cy) Finnish (fi)
Korrigere feilene mine, vær så snill!

Die HERE is my herder; niks sal my ontbreek nie. ~ Psalm 23:1

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2013-09-10, 20:21

I grew up in a continental climate, meaning 4 seasons, hot summers and rather cold and snowy winters, especially in my childhood(lately the climate tends to be milder). Now I live in a more moderate one, with more rain, cooler summers and milder winters. I prefer the continental one, the one I grew up. I miss those 38 C summers and -20 C winters.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-09-13, 8:42

1. Summing up all, how much do you think the weather affects your mood?

It does somewhat, but not always predictably. Sometimes rain cheers me up, sometimes sunshine. But the lack of daylight in winter does depress me a bit.

2. How much do you think, the weather determines if you like living in the place where you live?

A lot, because a great part of the world is probably too hot, at least periodically, for me. I don't like feeling hot at all, and I get that feeling rather easily. I'm not sure that's something you can get used to, either. I'm in many ways satisfied to live so up north for this reason. Especially as/since it's possible for me to just visit the more southern lands (in this era we live in, and since I hope to be able to afford it in my life).
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-09-13, 19:08

I don't like cold (as in below zero; anything above that is fine) but the lack of sunlight is the worst. I could handle winter a lot better if it were bright and sunny.
linguoboy wrote:As someone who grew up in a changeable climate, I suffer from "good day guilt". Between winter snowstorms and summer heat waves, there are a lot of days every year where it's simply not pleasant to be out. So when the weather is nice--sunny, dry, and 20s--I always end up thinking, I shouldn't be inside, I should be out and about enjoying this. Once when visiting San Francisco, I had a conversation with a transplanted Midwesterner who suffered from the same complex. Except out there, "good days" are the rule, so during her first year she was wearing herself out trying to be active outside all the time. Finally her older sister, a naturalised Californian, had to explain, "You can't do that here. You'll drive yourself crazy."
Same. I keep getting this feeling of it's still nice and warm out; I should be making the most of it before it becomes cold, snowy and dark, but last summer all I wanted to do was stay indoors because it was so hot and sticky.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-09-13, 23:16

Rain makes me happy. Lack of sunlight feels oppresive. I enjoy a bit of wind.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-09-14, 7:20

Rain makes me happy. Lack of sunlight feels oppresive. I enjoy a bit of wind.

Rain makes me happy too. We're just too used to +30°C temperatures. :P Lack of sunlight makes me depressed and I enjoy a bit of fresh wind too but unfortunately it's too windy where I live.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-09-14, 16:38

Levo wrote:1. Summing up all, how much do you think the weather affects your mood?

Well, the days are certainly way warmer and I don't have to spend five minutes putting layers of clothes just to go outside to the dep across my street for cigs and beer.

Pro: Nice fresh snow. Plenty of time when it's not too hot or not too cold (like right now).
Con: -35C~40C variance. Sun rises after 7 and sets after 5 in January. It gets really tedious, but I'm used to it and can take it.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2013-09-16, 6:36

JackFrost wrote: Sun rises after 7 and sets after 5 in January. It gets really tedious, but I'm used to it and can take it.

It can be even worse - in Sankt-Peterburg, as far as I remember, in November sun rises at 9:40 and sets at 15:40 or something. In December it's even worse.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-09-16, 11:00

AndreiB wrote:
JackFrost wrote: Sun rises after 7 and sets after 5 in January. It gets really tedious, but I'm used to it and can take it.

It can be even worse - in Sankt-Peterburg, as far as I remember, in November sun rises at 9:40 and sets at 15:40 or something. In December it's even worse.

I don't really see how this is a problem, given that we have electricity these days - when it's cold and you wouldn't want to be outside, it's also dark, but in summer, when people do spend time outside, it is light all the time

Personally I like sunshine and hate overcast, especially in winter (come to think of it, having early nightfall is great). My favorite type of weather falls sometime in May, when it is sunny and warm (but not hot yet).

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-09-16, 11:16

AndreiB wrote:

At the winter solstice, where I live the sun rises just before 9 and sets at about 15:15 pm, so that's about 6 hours and 15-20 minutes of sunlight. Saint Petersburg is a bit farther north than that, but I doubt it has less sun than that in November already.

Edit: In Uppsala the sun rises at about 8:50 and sets at about 14:45, so that's just under 6 hours, and IIRC Saint Petersburg and Uppsala are on almost the exact same latitude.

I kind of like the darkness, it gets really cosy with all the lights, and you don't feel bad for sitting home alone with a cup of tea and a good book. And I also love the really long summer evenings when it never gets completely dark, and you can't have one without the other.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-09-16, 14:23

Johanna wrote:I kind of like the darkness, it gets really cosy with all the lights, and you don't feel bad for sitting home alone with a cup of tea and a good book. And I also love the really long summer evenings when it never gets completely dark, and you can't have one without the other.

Even longer than in Madrid? As far as sunrise and sunset are concerned I would say they get the best of both worlds. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/a ... =-11&day=1
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-09-16, 15:36

Sol Invictus wrote:
AndreiB wrote:

I don't really see how this is a problem, given that we have electricity these days - when it's cold and you wouldn't want to be outside, it's also dark, but in summer, when people do spend time outside, it is light all the time.

If we here in Chicago didn't go outside whenever it was cold, we'd be hermits half the year. I don't want to leave the house on winter mornings to go to work, but I have to. When it's not only cold but also dark, my desire to get out of bed and go outside is diminished all the more.

One of the worst winters I remember was one where we had something like forty overcast days in a row without a break. Everyone found that more intolerable than bone-chilling cold.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-09-16, 16:17

Marah wrote:
Johanna wrote:I kind of like the darkness, it gets really cosy with all the lights, and you don't feel bad for sitting home alone with a cup of tea and a good book. And I also love the really long summer evenings when it never gets completely dark, and you can't have one without the other.

Even longer than in Madrid? As far as sunrise and sunset are concerned I would say they get the best of both worlds. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/a ... =-11&day=1

Madrid is quite a bit further south, so yes, definitely.

Here, at the summer solstice the sun rises at 4 and sets at 22:20 so there's 18 hours and 20 minutes of sunlight, and even in the middle of the night there's still some red on the horizon, and the sky is light enough for only the brightest stars to be visible; in other words, dusk turns into dawn without any actual night in between.

Take three hours of sunlight away from that and you will have true night.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-09-16, 17:28

Sounds like something I have to experience before dying. :P

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-09-16, 19:01

Marah wrote:Sounds like something I have to experience before dying. :P

Visit the birthplace of my maternal grandmother and the sun doesn't set at all for a few weeks :whistle:

But yeah, it's a bit too dark up there mid-winter for my taste, they get dawn that merges into dusk, but the sun never shows itself. Kind of the reverse of the summer nights we have here.

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2013-09-16, 19:03

Marah wrote:Sounds like something I have to experience before dying. :P

To Finnmark, you go!

Return to “Culture”