What do you know about the Netherlands?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

mōdgethanc

Re: What do you know about the Netherlands?

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-25, 21:28

Lazar Taxon wrote:"You're feminist" doesn't sound natural to me.
It does to me, or as natural as any other adjective. Imagine Bill O'Reilly foaming at the mouth and ranting about some "vegan, Wiccan, feminist coven of lesbians".

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2013-07-25, 23:09

I'm not saying it can't be used as an adjective, I'm saying it can't be used as a predicate adjective. The same goes for a lot of "-ist" words - I have no problem with "activist organization" or "communist sympathizer", but I wouldn't say "He's activist" or "She's communist" without "a(n)" in between.
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag] Good: [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Okay: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginning: [flag=]it[/flag] Interested in: [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag]

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-25, 23:50

I could accept "she's communist" but not "she's activist". I can't explain why. Perhaps it's because communism, like feminism, is an ideology whereas activism is a tactic.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-07-26, 2:59

mōdgethanc wrote:I could accept "she's communist" but not "she's activist". I can't explain why. Perhaps it's because communism, like feminism, is an ideology whereas activism is a tactic.

I think it can work in context. "What kind of judge is she?" "She's activist."
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-26, 16:53

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-07-26, 18:05

I do agree with the final conclusion! Though also with the curiosity thing, haha :)
I absolutely love the big windows I have, the view outside and the light coming in. It also saves on electricity.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Indonesian and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2013-08-02, 19:37

I don't know much about the Netherlands, I've heard Flemmings say Netherlands' Dutch is incorrect (since genders are not clear) and ugly (pronunciationwise).
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Almachtigheid

Postby Almachtigheid » 2013-08-03, 15:45

TeneReef wrote:I don't know much about the Netherlands, I've heard Flemmings say Netherlands' Dutch is incorrect (since genders are not clear) and ugly (pronunciationwise).

Personally I don't know how genders in Flemish Dutch are clearer than in Dutch Dutch. And about the pronounciation is an opinion of course.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-08-03, 17:02

Personally I don't know how genders in Flemish Dutch are clearer than in Dutch Dutch. And about the pronounciation is an opinion of course.

[dʌuntʰ bi ʁɪˈdɪkʰyːɫəs, ʌuɫ daːtʃə ɪs ˈaːχli]

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-08-04, 23:14

Almachtigheid wrote:
TeneReef wrote:I don't know much about the Netherlands, I've heard Flemmings say Netherlands' Dutch is incorrect (since genders are not clear) and ugly (pronunciationwise).

I guess that most Dutch varieties spoken in Belgium still use all three genders in a way that written Dutch and spoken "Media Dutch" don't. Like having different feminine and masculine articles and such.

Not that I know Dutch that well, but in Standard Swedish there's this:
en hund - hunden - den är stor = a dog - the dog - it is big
en bok - boken - den är stor = a book - the book - it is big
ett hus - huset - det är stort = a house - the house - it is big

But in my dialect, in which we still have all three genders, there's this:
en honn - honn - han ä storer = a dog - the dog - it is big
ena bok - boka - ho ä storer = a book - the book - it is big
ett hus - hust - dä ä stort = a house - the house - it is big

And If I remember the little I've learnt about Dutch is that you go pretty much like this:
en hund - hunden - han är stor
en bok - boken - hon är stor
That is, there's no clue whatsoever as to what gender the noun is, but you still have to use the right pronoun. While most Dutch speakers in Belgium would use something more akin to my dialect.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-08-09, 17:16

That's correct. People in the Netherlands tend to refer to everything with 'hij', while in Flandern they also use 'zij'. Flemish people laugh so hard when they hear a Dutch person refer to a cow with 'hij'... :wink:

Nevertheless, in written Dutch you still need to write 'zij' when you refer to feminine words and in some dialects (like the one in the area where I grew up) still use all the genders.

Corrections appreciated.

Almachtigheid

Postby Almachtigheid » 2013-08-14, 22:04

The problem is, no one who lives in the area where I live actually knows the genders. Neither do I. :?

(or; Nor do I? I don't know in this case)

Spaigelploatje

Postby Spaigelploatje » 2013-10-18, 0:24

I do have curtains, only closed in the evening though*, when warmth needs to stay inside.

CityBird

Postby CityBird » 2014-03-24, 15:31

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:That's correct. People in the Netherlands tend to refer to everything with 'hij', while in Flandern they also use 'zij'. Flemish people laugh so hard when they hear a Dutch person refer to a cow with 'hij'... :wink:
Most of our neighbours during my childhood were Dutch and I can indeed confirm that :D. It's Flanders btw, Flandern is German.

Bittereinder
Country: ZA South Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Postby Bittereinder » 2014-04-05, 17:57

The Netherlands has an interesting history and it seems the Dutch have always been motivated differently than French or the English. If you just look at their colonies you'll see that their is a great socio-economic focus. Some historians often coin the "trade spirit" of the Dutch.

We Boers have also adopted the word "Burger" as not only a definition, but a noble description of citizens. Academically there is a bit of friction between Afrikaans and Dutch scholars. The Dutch like to refer to Afrikaans as a "daughter language" of Dutch, but it's in fact a sister language of Dutch. Afrikaans and Standard Dutch are about the same age where both obviously evolved out of Medieval Dutch.
Openbaring 21:6
"Verder sê Hy vir my: Dit het klaar gebeur. Ek is die Alfa en die Omega, die Begin en die Einde. Aan elkeen wat dors het, sal Ek te drinke gee uit die fontein met die water van die lewe, verniet. "

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2014-04-06, 10:10

Bittereinder wrote:The Netherlands has an interesting history and it seems the Dutch have always been motivated differently than French or the English. If you just look at their colonies you'll see that their is a great socio-economic focus. Some historians often coin the "trade spirit" of the Dutch.

Yeah, they cared so much about the slaves in Suriname and the people in Rawagede (you know, the ones who were randomly killed) :roll:

Corrections appreciated.

Bittereinder

Postby Bittereinder » 2014-04-06, 16:57

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:
Bittereinder wrote:The Netherlands has an interesting history and it seems the Dutch have always been motivated differently than French or the English. If you just look at their colonies you'll see that their is a great socio-economic focus. Some historians often coin the "trade spirit" of the Dutch.

Yeah, they cared so much about the slaves in Suriname and the people in Rawagede (you know, the ones who were randomly killed) :roll:

:mrgreen:

Of course I'm not referring to the natives.
"Verder sê Hy vir my: Dit het klaar gebeur. Ek is die Alfa en die Omega, die Begin en die Einde. Aan elkeen wat dors het, sal Ek te drinke gee uit die fontein met die water van die lewe, verniet. "

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2014-04-06, 18:13

How do you mean?

Corrections appreciated.

Bittereinder

Postby Bittereinder » 2014-04-06, 19:28

"Burgers" in the colonies had fairly good rights. For one, women could own businesses and property. In some of their colonies, like in the Cape, non-Dutch colonists could also run for office. Viceroys also had more privileges.

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2014-05-24, 15:22

- French fries with a peanut sauce
- Hagelslag
- You can learn to phone and hold an umbrella while cycling
- Queen's day is crazy
- Delft is a lovely city
- Hema
Thanks for any correction :)

Return to “Culture”