"Sweet" as a metaphor, "she is sweet" etc

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Oru
"Sweet" as a metaphor, "she is sweet" etc

Postby Oru » 2013-04-28, 22:19

I've heard a few expressions, mostly English and a few from different languages (only English translations) about people being sweet, a place/time being sweet, a sour face, etc. I've only found a couple we don't have in English, such as "I don't taste sweetness" meaning "I don't feel well." I'm trying to find more expressions like that, which use taste as a metaphor - ones not usually found in English. Can anyone help? :)

Aleco

Re: "Sweet" as a metaphor, "she is sweet" etc

Postby Aleco » 2013-04-29, 0:49

Well, søt in Norwegian doubles as cute and sweet. While in Danish, sød doubles as kind and sweet.

In Norwegian, sur (sour) also means angry, or in its adverbial form (surt), it can also mean too bad.
Last edited by Aleco on 2013-04-29, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Levo

Postby Levo » 2013-04-29, 9:21

Hm,

"Saltless" - They write it for Katherine Heigl for example or how she writes her name. "Saltless" stands for people who lack humour or wide smiles, and is usually more the serious type.

Bittersweet we also use...

And yeah, "negédes" - édes is sweet and I have no clue what neg- actually is. Anyway, negédes means that someone is kind and smiling, though you know he/she has aims with you; or simply has an artificial kindness towards you just out of politeness. Negédes is also used sometimes for situations when good mood and smiles are already too much.

"Sour" - "He is a nice person, but he is sour." In older speech it was a polite way of expressing about a third person in discussion that he has no humour at all, and is too serious. It is worse than "saltless" :)

"Bitterness" - "There is one only bitterness in the whole, namely:..." - There is only one thing that is really bad...

"To make one's life bitter" - Megkeseríti az életét - To make an ultimate hardness in one's life that deteriorates the whole life of the person.

Our word for "rankling"/aggravating comes from the word, bitter. : Elkeserítő

Keserves munka - Very hard, time-consuming work. It also comes from the word, bitter.

"Bitter fate". - "Keserű sors" - A very hard, unhappy life. Serfs and industrial workers were described to have a "bitter fate".

Oh, and "Kesereg" - which is "to complain (about hardness)" also comes from bitter. To moan in the dictionary.

Oh f..., there are plenty with keserű/bitter.
Megkeseredik: (from bitter), Someone becomes a hard person after having lived through one big or many problems or tragedies in life.

Megkeserül -> Ezt megkeserülöd! - You'll pay for this!/Regret doing this!

Kikesereg from bitter- To complain so much (in a humiliating way already), that one manages to get some help or get some ease in his issue.
Today we use it simply for a present or money too. "Kikesergett tőlem egy rollert." - He/she "complained so much in a bitter way" that he managed to make me buy him a roller.

"Kikesergi magát" - To tell all his complainments about his humiliative, hard situation.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-04-29, 12:15

Sweet in Finnish (makea or colloquially makee) means "cool". Although I guess you also use that in English?

A high price is "salty" (suolainen). Meaning it's steep.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-04-29, 19:53

I can't think of an English idiom that uses "salty" although I'm sure it was probably at some point or another in some dialect. "Bitter" and "sour" are far more common metaphors.
Varislintu wrote:Sweet in Finnish (makea or colloquially makee) means "cool". Although I guess you also use that in English?
Yes, especially American English.

"I'll be at the party around 9:30." "Okay, sweet."

Or:

"I just bought a new dirt bike for $2000." "Really? That's sweet!"
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Oru

Postby Oru » 2013-04-29, 20:31

Thanks for the replies. :)
I've also never heard 'salty' before, although I think I've heard 'spice' used in a similar way to mean less serious, more personality or 'spark', but certainly not often. "Sweet" also meaning "kind" is one I hear sometimes, but more strongly and frequently in older literature. Generally I think "cute" is the most common meaning for it here, I don't think I've heard it meaning "cool" in England, but of course we all recognise it from American TV if nothing else. :) "Sweet" is also very common though the meaning's not very changeable, whereas "sour" I usually hear in older idioms, but not brought up as often as a word just in itself. I don't think we really have anything (at least commonplace) in between sweet and sour in English, just the two extremes.

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2013-04-30, 23:17

In [flag]de[/flag] German, you often use taste adjectives to describe people:
süß ("sweet") = cute
scharf ("spicy") = sexy
bitter ("bitter") = bitter
sauer ("sour") = pissed

Only the latter is frequently used with the 1st person. The other three are more likely to be encountered with 2nd and 3rd person pronouns/verbs.

Varislintu wrote:A high price is "salty" (suolainen). Meaning it's steep.

Similar in German: gesalzen ("salted"). You can call the same price gepfeffert ("peppered").

Oru

Postby Oru » 2013-05-07, 22:22

Thanks Saaropean. :)

Return to “Culture”