"One to grow on"

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

linguoboy
"One to grow on"

Postby linguoboy » 2013-04-09, 17:20

On an older episode of QI, they present the custom of giving children spankings for their birthday as something quaintly American. I grew up with this and never conceived of it as something unique to us. (I guess, as with most of our crueler traditions, I just assumed it was brought here from Germany.)

In my parochial grammar school, the teachers and nuns would bring a pupil to the front of the class on his or her birthday and dole out a swot on the bum for every year of age, then one more, which was called "one to grow on". There was also the tradition of "a pinch to grow an inch", but this was something generally administered by classmates and each of them was allowed to do it. But only an authority figure was allowed to give the spanking.

So my question is: Are any of you familiar with this custom or one similar to it?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Re: "One to grow on"

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-04-09, 17:49

Yeah, but I never assumed it was an exclusively North American (maybe even exclusively Anglophone) thing. I knew about it from seeing it in media and my parents telling me about it, but I've never seen it firsthand.

I gathered that the superstition behind it is that if you don't get your birthday spanking, you won't grow that year, whence the "one to grow on" (one swat for each year of your life so far plus one for the coming year).
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2013-04-09, 18:03

That's interesting. I'm only familiar with the "pinch to grow an inch" and something called "birthday beats" (this is where friends/classmates punch you as many times as you are years old, i.e., 19 years old, 19 punches.)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-04-09, 18:19

I don't know if this is uniquely North American, but I can tell you that this sounds extremely strange to me :lol:

(Off topic: I actually have to go as far back as to my grandpa who went to school from the mid 1930s until the end of the war to even hear of people getting spanked. I was actually horrified to hear my American host mom telling me about how she would spank the kids if they were being disobedient when they were smaller (they were 16, 18, and 23 at this time). :para: )
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-04-09, 18:59

This is interesting. My dad told me about getting the strap when he was in school (1960s-70s) but I assumed it hadn't been practiced since his day. In fact, corporal punishment wasn't banned in Ontario until 2009, five years after the Supreme Court decided to outlaw it.
Halfdan wrote:That's interesting. I'm only familiar with the "pinch to grow an inch" and something called "birthday beats" (this is where friends/classmates punch you as many times as you are years old, i.e., 19 years old, 19 punches.)
I think the "pinch to grow an inch" is the milder version, and like you said, "birthday beatings" is something your peer group does, not your parents, so it's not really the same thing. It's more of a lighthearted hazing ritual.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-04-09, 19:23

No, and it seemed weir to me when I learned about it, because I associate it with punishment, however we have spanking tradition on Palm Sunday and that doesn't seem terrible at all :lol: but just to make the answer more interesting:

On birthdays typically you are expected to feed other people. In schools it is kind of ritualized thing - you give each person in your class a candy, and in lower grades they draw you greeting cards. When I was in kindergarten there also was tradition to throw person in air (in this case, technically, one would sit on a chair that would be raised up) several times i.e. once for each year

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-04-09, 20:50

No, never heard of it.

Besides, any kind of violence against children has been illegal since the late 70's.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-04-09, 20:57

Johanna wrote:No, never heard of it.

Besides, any kind of violence against children has been illegal since the late 70's.
It's not seen as violence against children, though. It's a ritual that isn't comparable to an actual spanking, since the intention isn't to hurt the child, and it doesn't actually cause pain or leave marks (at least, not as far as I know). It's more of a mockery of a spanking than anything.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-04-09, 21:42

Talib wrote:I gathered that the superstition behind it is that if you don't get your birthday spanking, you won't grow that year, whence the "one to grow on" (one swat for each year of your life so far plus one for the coming year).

On a deeper level, I think it has the effect of restoring balance: A birthday child is the focus of special attention--they receive congratulations, gifts, cakes, etc.--that can cause resentment among their peers. Subjecting them to ritualised humiliation defuses this somewhat.

As Talib says, the spankings weren't actually painful. They weren't like the spankings I got from my parents. (Despite having gone to school in the 70s, I don't recall ever being physically disciplined by a teacher. All those scary stories about the nuns and their rulers predate me.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lambda

Postby Lambda » 2013-04-09, 22:01

Well, I had never heard about it before this thread.
Although I do recall seeing an old comic or two that had a character being pinched on her birthday.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2013-04-09, 22:53

Never heard of such custom.

The weirdest I've ever heard of in Hungary, that our German-speaking minority, the "sváb" or schwäbisch girls had to get laid at the age of 16 with a cousin of theirs to loose their virginity.
No spanking traditions...

ling

Postby ling » 2013-04-10, 4:02

I recall with a sense of horror the cruel tradition I encountered (and thankfully was able to avoid) when attending public schools in the UK. It was called "the bumps". Classmates would grab the birthday boy by the arms and legs, and while hoisting him into the air they would kick him for as many times as was his birthday. The kicks (which connected with the victim's ass, back, thighs, and probably testicles if he was especially unlucky) were followed by a final one for good measure.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

Lada

Postby Lada » 2013-04-10, 9:16

Similar thing happens in Russia. On someone's birthday other children try to pluck(?) his ears as many times as he/she is years old. As I'm an adult already these things have been forgotten, but some people still practice it mildly. (in childhood it was really painful)

That's how it looks like:

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-04-10, 9:21

I've heard about birthday spankings, probably from American media content. I wasn't clear on where it's a custom exactly, but I haven't heard of it in a Finnish context, ever.

The only remotely similar thing (simulating something potentially violent) I can think of is giving a good luck kick. This is done by grabbing someone's shoulders from behind and bumping their behind gently with your knee. It's done when someone is leaving to do something where they might need luck. My mom used to do it to me on departure on days that I had a big exam or something :oops:. Moms :oops: :lol:.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2013-04-10, 14:07

Lada wrote:Similar thing happens in Russia. On someone's birthday other children try to pluck(?) his ears as many times as he/she is years old. As I'm an adult already these things have been forgotten, but some people still practice it mildly. (in childhood it was really painful)

That's how it looks like:

:D

Now you remind me of "Füled érjen bokáig!". It means "Let your ears reach your ankle". We used to say that at birthdays. I almost forgot it :)

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-04-10, 19:10

We have it as friednly ear plucking on one ear for each year plus one more :lol:
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-04-10, 20:40

Levo wrote:Never heard of such custom.

The weirdest I've ever heard of in Hungary, that our German-speaking minority, the "sváb" or schwäbisch girls had to get laid at the age of 16 with a cousin of theirs to loose their virginity.
Since nobody has commented on this so far, I'll be the first to say it: What in the unholy fuck?!
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-04-10, 20:57

Talib wrote:
Levo wrote:The weirdest I've ever heard of in Hungary, that our German-speaking minority, the "sváb" or schwäbisch girls had to get laid at the age of 16 with a cousin of theirs to loose their virginity.
Since nobody has commented on this so far, I'll be the first to say it: What in the unholy fuck?!

My reaction to this was that it sounds like exactly the sort of rumour that tends to circulate about minority cultures in Western societies. In other words: Source?

Levo

Postby Levo » 2013-04-10, 21:07

linguoboy wrote:
Talib wrote:
Levo wrote:The weirdest I've ever heard of in Hungary, that our German-speaking minority, the "sváb" or schwäbisch girls had to get laid at the age of 16 with a cousin of theirs to loose their virginity.

My reaction to this was that it sounds like exactly the sort of rumour that tends to circulate about minority cultures in Western societies. ...

Really? Never heard of this.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-04-10, 21:12

Levo wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Talib wrote:

My reaction to this was that it sounds like exactly the sort of rumour that tends to circulate about minority cultures in Western societies. ...

Really? Never heard of this.

You're the one who told us about it!

Return to “Culture”